Dealing with huggers?

HockeyBjj

Putting on the foil
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
So, I very strictly remember that when someone is mounted on you or even on top in side control/hips switched, wrapping your arms around them and clasping hands behind their back is a very bad idea. Not only does it stall shit out and not allow you to even work for an escape/reguard, there were some subs or at least sub set-ups from there. I learned my lesson quick and don't think I ever did it after week 2.

Now, I just switched gyms to a much better one, but an astonishing number of their mid-level white bels are constantly wrapping me up and just holding on when I get mount. I have completely forgotten what my options are here because no one ever does this, or so I thought. Anyone help me out? Preferably with some videos?

The one thing I think I remembered was I would walk my arm up along the mat to put on pressure and break the grip, then I would be set-up for an arm triangle. But I was getting my arm fully extended above their head and they still had at least an S-grip behind my back. Detail I'm missing?
Thanks

If he's hugging around then he is basically giving you a High Mount or S-Mount. Armbar city from there.

If for some reason that doesn't work put your forearm on/under their nose and press your weight into it. That makes anyone move.

If he's hugging around then he is basically giving you a High Mount or S-Mount. Armbar city from there.

If for some reason that doesn't work put your forearm on/under their nose and press your weight into it. That makes anyone move.

I always get up to high mount from there. But not sure how to finish an armbar while his arms are still wrapped behind me? I tried reaching back for like an overhook, but I felt I would lose it when I swung my legs over. Unless I tried something goofy by treating it like a straight armbar with my arm under his elbow and pushing up with his wrist locked in my armpit. Didn't want to try that as I felt if I fell back to hard it may just snap, if it was even tight at all

Just a 3 stripe white here, so don't have near the bag of moves yet. And I'd rather not pull those dick moves to make a person move, even if that's exactly what's fucking needed, as I'm new to this gym. I did play bongos on one guy's head after 45 seconds of that bullshit tho. Then I just rolled to guard and damn near gogoplatatted him off the bat.

Monoplata mount is the goods! they are giving it to you on a silver platter, arm bars, guillotines, omoplatas, gogoplatas, gi chokes, darce chokes, the monoplata, kimuras heaps of options from here

[YT]J_Ok_jvctJ8[/YT]

I always get up to high mount from there. But not sure how to finish an armbar while his arms are still wrapped behind me? I tried reaching back for like an overhook, but I felt I would lose it when I swung my legs over. Unless I tried something goofy by treating it like a straight armbar with my arm under his elbow and pushing up with his wrist locked in my armpit. Didn't want to try that as I felt if I fell back to hard it may just snap, if it was even tight at all

Just a 3 stripe white here, so don't have near the bag of moves yet. And I'd rather not pull those dick moves to make a person move, even if that's exactly what's fucking needed, as I'm new to this gym. I did play bongos on one guy's head after 45 seconds of that bullshit tho. Then I just rolled to guard and damn near gogoplatatted him off the bat.

Once you're in high mount just lay a forearm across his face, use your other hand on your own wrist to frame, and push up. He'll let go. It's not a pain move (though it's not pleasant), mechanically you're just in a much better position there than he is. Once his grip is broken you can arm bar (if his arm comes in front of you) or monoplata (if he insists on keeping an arm wrapped around your back:

[YT]zD3sjRk9i5w[/YT]

(I have no idea who this guy is and it's not the best demo, but you get the idea)

I love this one as well and it is anything but a dick move. You are actually doing them a favour, they'll understand how stupid it is to stall out like this.

Thanks for that monoplata video, yeah, not the best demonstration but i definitely see what he's doing. I'll try and commit it to memeory and see if I can land it if someone wraps up during no-gi tonight (Friday's the one day without Bjj) But at 6 seconds where bottom has arms wrapped and top slides up into the pits is exactly the position I'm talking about where I'm looking for more options.

And I'll start going through that longer video as well here in a moment. I play a lot of S-mount and am apparently good at getting from side to mount, so maybe it's time to look at another option?

Simpler than attacking the arm is attacking the neck.

Both of his arms are wrapped around your body. Both of your arms are free. Attack his neck.

I would suggest trying an ezekial.

Simpler than attacking the arm is attacking the neck.

Both of his arms are wrapped around your body. Both of your arms are free. Attack his neck.

I would suggest trying an ezekial.

Yep. I was looking for this as well. Along with a few collar chokes (which I'm not very good at) He just had his chin to his chest tight. And being my first week in the gym I didn't want to be rough and work on sawing the gi through the crook

Yep. I was looking for this as well. Along with a few collar chokes (which I'm not very good at) He just had his chin to his chest tight. And being my first week in the gym I didn't want to be rough and work on sawing the gi through the crook

Fist in the side of the neck on the carotid for the ezekial against a tucked chin. The chin can't tuck over both carotids at the same time, so one is always exposed.

Fist in the side of the neck on the carotid for the ezekial against a tucked chin. The chin can't tuck over both carotids at the same time, so one is always exposed.

So like a no-gi ezikiel, but still using the the gi behind the head for more reach? Shit, that would actually work. Thanks

Ryote Jime is good too, if they're (a G) in a gi.

S-mount makes it easier to get the armbar, and if someone is grabbing you like that they are certainly asking to be s-mounted. Fellow 3-stripe white belt here so take that with a grain or two of salt.

This is always my first option from mount, I either get the choke if they are sleeping, or they give me an arm when they defend.

Just choke them. The ezekiel is probably your best bet, if you can't get past their jawline you can always switch to the fist in the carotid like others said.

Another option is the nutcracker choke. Cheesy but it works, at the very least it'll get them squirming.

You guys are acting like taking away all space from mount bottom is a walk in the park. I guarantee you there are blue belts that I train with that can hug the shit out of you and make it very difficult to submit when they take away all space and also have a good bridge.

They wont win a lot from there, but to say "eh, just s mount or push their face down" is like saying "yeah, just get out of his guard by standing up and pushing his legs down. No problem." Submitting a hugger who eliminates all space is a much tougher task than its being made out to be.

You guys are acting like taking away all space from mount bottom is a walk in the park. I guarantee you there are blue belts that I train with that can hug the shit out of you and make it very difficult to submit when they take away all space and also have a good bridge.

They wont win a lot from there, but to say "eh, just s mount or push their face down" is like saying "yeah, just get out of his guard by standing up and pushing his legs down. No problem." Submitting a hugger who eliminates all space is a much tougher task than its being made out to be.

Maybe in the lightest weights when guys can't/don't know how to apply pressure. Against guys of even moderate size, that's a big risk to take.

Lots of people in my gym play a very low, tight, pressure mount. The pressure on the neck from the choke is enough to tap most people eventually. One guy can even do this as a featherweight.

Eliminating all space on bottom mount is signing your own death warrant against someone who plays that game. They don't need to submit you right away. Most of them actually enjoy making you suffer. You will be in for the worst 2-3 minutes of your life before you finally tap to the choke.

Maybe in the lightest weights when guys can't/don't know how to apply pressure. Against guys of even moderate size, that's a big risk to take.

Lots of people in my gym play a very low, tight, pressure mount. The pressure on the neck from the choke is enough to tap most people eventually. One guy can even do this as a featherweight.

Eliminating all space on bottom mount is signing your own death warrant against someone who plays that game. They don't need to submit you right away. Most of them actually enjoy making you suffer. You will be in for the worst 2-3 minutes of your life before you finally tap to the choke.

I dont know man, I have rarely seen (never) a guy who is worth a shit get tapped from mount pressure. Maybe it happens at the upper weights, but small guys seem to be tough enough not to tap to position. Maybe I am delusional, but I find it hard to beleive that anyone on earth could submit me with mount pressure, for any length of time. I feel I would literally starve to death before I would die from mount pressure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back