Dealing with flurries - Part 2

RuDOWN4It said:
knee the guy in the ribs? hes a goddam boxer.

1. a. DKM mentioned knees in the FIRST thread.
b. Why did you post this?

2.a. If anyone in the thread has fighting limitations, that is their issue, not the ENTIRE populance reading the thread. As a standup forum, we should keep our minds COMPLETELY open to standup fighting in its essence, unless someone starts a thread specifically saying "I need *ENTER STYLE HERE* help. Even then, it should be cautioned to be so limited in thinking.

b. I may be calling you out, but its no big deal. I just seem to demand the best out of situations.

tokian said:
Dont let him get close to you AT ALL then. Keep your distance by teeping (push kicking) and jabbing A LOT. It is hard to throw a lot of jabs and teeps with quality though, this is something you really have to train.
When he does get past this part of your defense, you need to act fast. Swift (and HARD) crosses or (preferably) kicks to the body are good for when hes coming in. A jab might pop him a good one, but its risky to throw such a weak strike when you are getting pounded.
If he is playing with angles so you cannot strike well, then you need to move a lot and get him to come in when you are at a good angle.

If he gets in, I like the clinche + knee idea. But dont just knee him once, if he wants to come in and flurry you, knee THE FUCK out of him. A good one would be:

1. Clinche + Knees
2. Lead hook to head
3. Cross to head (immediately after stepping back with back foot)
4. Jab to head (immediately after following back with front foot)
5. Push kick

Now he is off of you, and you can create distance and angles again. Try to sneak in a head kick while hes off you, and make sure you slam his body and legs with HARD, SWIFT round kicks. You cant just let him rest when hes not attacking you.

I think I'm actually going to drill that combo.

Eduardo R. said:
Movement is the key. When he starts to throw a flurry, try side stepping and then returning a punch or kick while you're at an angle. If he does get a flurry going move your head and counter, it's a lot easier to keep throwing punches when your target shells up and tries to block everything then when they move causing you to miss. Clinching is also very useful, as soon as he opens up to punch you can close the rest of the distance and grab on and start kneeing.

my sentiments exactly. I believe that side stepping would be my number 1 choice. Firstly I am clear of any danger and puts me in a good counter position. Secondly the more shots my opponent misses, the more tire he gets.

MAN! Dealing with flurries is so much harder than writing what to do when being flurried.
It takes a lot of discipline to stick your gaurd in there and keep your eyes open.
I realized today that it is usually better to step into one of the strikes you can see than wait for one you dont, and then take advantage of the distance.

I am NOT saying to step into a strike with your face or body, but with your whole gaurd (forearms, gloves, elbows).

WATCH OUT FOR THAT KNEE THOUGH! You can get one really quick stepping in at all.

Whew man, i need to pass out.

Back