Dealing with flurries - Part 2

D

DKM76

I know this has been discussed before on the stand-up forum. Some of the recommendations were:

- cover up and step aside/back out
- jab your way out of the flurries
- throw an overhand right
- throw your own flurries and get out
- clinch and throw knee

However, I was up against an excellent boxer yersterday who competes in the golden gloves regularly. By the time I reacted to his flurries with one of the above methods, he was already done and stepped out. That means he throw 5 -6 punches in a second (or it felt like a second) and got out of there. Didn't give me a chance to think or react. He kept on doing this. I thought to myself, since I am having trouble reacting to it...I am gonna see if I can foresee him doing it and avoid it. I couldn't even do that because he would duck and sneak in from the side and throw his flurries and get out.

Besides having good flurries of your own, how would you deal with this situation.

Very interesting story. My opinion is that the best way to deal with situations like this is to admit that you and the other guy are just competing at different levels and how much room for improvement is left, but with training and hard work you will hold your ground in due time.The beauty of the sport is that I m sure this guy finds himself in the ring with a much superior fighter and he asks himself the same questions you re asking yourself.
It s the learning journey that makes it all so fun not arriving at the final destination. Good luck.

I was up against an excellent boxer
he would duck and sneak in from the side and throw his flurries and get out

Dont let him get close to you AT ALL then. Keep your distance by teeping (push kicking) and jabbing A LOT. It is hard to throw a lot of jabs and teeps with quality though, this is something you really have to train.
When he does get past this part of your defense, you need to act fast. Swift (and HARD) crosses or (preferably) kicks to the body are good for when hes coming in. A jab might pop him a good one, but its risky to throw such a weak strike when you are getting pounded.
If he is playing with angles so you cannot strike well, then you need to move a lot and get him to come in when you are at a good angle.

If he gets in, I like the clinche + knee idea. But dont just knee him once, if he wants to come in and flurry you, knee THE FUCK out of him. A good one would be:

1. Clinche + Knees
2. Lead hook to head
3. Cross to head (immediately after stepping back with back foot)
4. Jab to head (immediately after following back with front foot)
5. Push kick

Now he is off of you, and you can create distance and angles again. Try to sneak in a head kick while hes off you, and make sure you slam his body and legs with HARD, SWIFT round kicks. You cant just let him rest when hes not attacking you.

Question, was he throwing those flurries with alot of power or was it more speedy annoying punches?

As far as not seeing them coming you need to dictate the distance. Keep him at bay with your legs, teeps, front kicks, hell even thigh kicks will make him hesitate. Then once he reacts to the kick you can follow up with a flurry of your own, or enter with punches and clinch if you'd like. Also keep circling down't give him a chance to enter from the side. Circle away from his rear hand, maybe throw an inside thigh kick or even throw a kick to the inside of his calf.

wow, my computer and these servers are running so slow it took 9 min. to post that, damn.

Anyway, if he's primarily a boxer, he's probably not used to getting kicked in the legs. Use that and put 3-4 good hard shots into his thighs, it will slow him down and make it easier to deal with him entering on you.

tokian said:
Dont let him get close to you AT ALL then. Keep your distance by teeping (push kicking) and jabbing A LOT. It is hard to throw a lot of jabs and teeps with quality though, this is something you really have to train.
When he does get past this part of your defense, you need to act fast. Swift (and HARD) crosses or (preferably) kicks to the body are good for when hes coming in. A jab might pop him a good one, but its risky to throw such a weak strike when you are getting pounded.
If he is playing with angles so you cannot strike well, then you need to move a lot and get him to come in when you are at a good angle.

If he gets in, I like the clinche + knee idea. But dont just knee him once, if he wants to come in and flurry you, knee THE FUCK out of him. A good one would be:

1. Clinche + Knees
2. Lead hook to head
5. Push kick

Now he is off of you, and you can create distance and angles again. Try to sneak in a head kick while hes off you, and make sure you slam his body and legs with HARD, SWIFT round kicks. You cant just let him rest when hes not attacking you.

I like those ideas and I am think about following him when he steps out. I can't wait to spar him again...it's a learning experience

fdupnct said:
Question, was he throwing those flurries with alot of power or was it more speedy annoying punches?

They were speedy annoying punches, but I did feel them though...they certaintly weren't just taps.

Its funny man im in the same situation with this 5' 9" 180 lb ( I am 6' 155lb). boxing-experienced cat. I just sparred with him yesterday. The tips I gave you are what i figured would help when i sat here thinking about his close-up game. Let me know what happens next time, and ill keep postin on here.

FOOTWORK! move side to side relative to your opponent or clinch while slipping. Also use push type kicks like front or side to stay out of punching range. NEVER back straight back. He'll follow you with even more power and eventually catch you. When you move back ward you lose the ability to hurt your opponent until you plant your feet and shift your weight forward and throw. By which time you are hit.

Movement is the key. When he starts to throw a flurry, try side stepping and then returning a punch or kick while you're at an angle. If he does get a flurry going move your head and counter, it's a lot easier to keep throwing punches when your target shells up and tries to block everything then when they move causing you to miss. Clinching is also very useful, as soon as he opens up to punch you can close the rest of the distance and grab on and start kneeing.

Sorry man, I can't help you. Usually the guys I box with are slower and bigger than me and its usually me throwing the flurries because I am quick and can get inside pretty easily. But I hate it because i usually have shorter arms also and I eat a stiff jab sometimes. So thats all I can say is if you have the reach, use it.

tokian said:

1. Clinche + Knees
2. Lead hook to head
5. Push kick

good stuff, may have miss read initial thread, but i think hes boxing, so the knees and push kick wont do. awesome for mma or defense on the street

I like to counter punch anyway, but for myself when they fluury it depends. If they catch me with a good combo, I instantaneously attack and throw a flurry. If they throw an ineffective flurry I'll just wait it out and catch him on his way out, usually opponents on their way out don't want any return retalliation. But I catch him as he stepping back and press the issue. I guess that didn't really help, but for me to say this...Situation will dictate, but I always like to go flurry on flurry. I'm going to try the over hand right technique.

zaner said:
FOOTWORK! move side to side relative to your opponent or clinch while slipping. Also use push type kicks like front or side to stay out of punching range. NEVER back straight back. He'll follow you with even more power and eventually catch you. When you move back ward you lose the ability to hurt your opponent until you plant your feet and shift your weight forward and throw. By which time you are hit.

yes, i agree. when i get into a flurry i always trying to side step & use a lot of head movement. when i find myself trapped in a flurry i always clinch.

Oh & like zaner said, dont go straight backwards

GOOD REPLIES PEOPLE!!! This is what i want to read when i come on here, keep up the Quality, and try to bring something new to the table.

Best defense for flurries I know of for me anyway is:

When the flurries start make your hands and arms both into a helmet and drive straight through his punches until your left arm is beside the right side of his face.
When you feel a left hook hit you trap the arm and grip his neck with your right arm, keeping it angled to deflect punches and drive a straight right knee into his left ribs.
I think this is the best way because you have good defense from both of his arms, your attack is stronger than a normal knee because your coming from farther back with it.

Why dont you just cover your chin, step inside, and throw a quick push to his chest with your hands? It sets dominance as well as completely effective. I use it alot, but then again i dont like retreating from charges, because thats what the guy wants.

ill bob n weave alot, just so my opponent doesnt have a still target. so when some1 throws a flurry, ill be bobbing and weaving right after his first punch. and the first 1 is usualy a jab, so theres no damage there.

The Man Monster said:
Best defense for flurries I know of for me anyway is:

When the flurries start make your hands and arms both into a helmet and drive straight through his punches until your left arm is beside the right side of his face.
When you feel a left hook hit you trap the arm and grip his neck with your right arm, keeping it angled to deflect punches and drive a straight right knee into his left ribs.
I think this is the best way because you have good defense from both of his arms, your attack is stronger than a normal knee because your coming from farther back with it.

knee the guy in the ribs? hes a goddam boxer.

Back