Deadlifts on OL Program

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by $ick Money!, Aug 15, 2010.

1. $ick Money!

$ick Money! Orange Belt

How many people that focus on an OL program incorporate conventional deadlifts? I want to follow Catalyst Athletics upcoming program (cathletics.com) but I really want to do do Deadlifts at least every other week. Any suggestions?

2. MASShole

MASShole Get it?

Why mess with the program?

3. glennpendlay

glennpendlay Yellow Belt

A very small percentage of OLers do deadlifts, and a very small percentage of OL coaches recomend them. OL training seems to make yoru pull stronger even without them...

Just a little personal experience, when I was still powerlifting, my best deadlift was 707lbs. It was always my worst lift. When I started doing OL, of course I quit deadlifting. About 2 years into it, I went back home for the weekend once and had to make do training in the old YMCA on saturday. No bumpers and they didnt allow dropping, so I couldnt clean. Decided to fool around with some stiff legged deadlifts. Ended up doing 705lbs for 5 reps. So 2 years of no deadlifting, and I did my old one rep max for a set of 5!!! and stiff legged to boot.

I have seen similar things happen to other people who are not great natural pullers.

4. $ick Money!

$ick Money! Orange Belt

Only because I enjoy deadlifting. I know that the program will help my pulling but I just really like to deadlift.

5. $ick Money!

$ick Money! Orange Belt

Thanks Glenn. I know that the majority of Oly lifters don't do deads. Do you know of any that do incorporate them?

6. Miiiiiiighty

Miiiiiiighty Silver Belt

I don't think you need to include more deadlift as clean pulls are basically deads with pronated/hook grip done in the most explosive fashion possible ...

Look at someone like Misha Koklyaev , he is barely deadlifting ( more focusing on oly style lifs and now strongman events ) , and I saw him triple 400 kg with hook grip ...

You can't bring a huge load up to you your collarbone to clean it without some serious pulling power !
    I think the main reasons why they don't DDL is :

1-mixed grip would unbalance their pull unless they alternate between each DDL
    2-they are already doing tons of clean , power clean , clean pulls etc so adding deadlift would be taking the risk to overtrain , as deads are one of the most taxing exercize ...

To sum it up , unless you intend to compete in powerlifting , you won't need to do any deads for the next decade as you will already progress by leaps and bounds at them just by following a serious Oly style training program .

7. scoopj

scoopj ackson

Why is this showing up on page 1 and how did I miss this thread? Very interesting post by Mr. Pendlay.

8. TeddyRoosevelt

TeddyRoosevelt Brown Belt

That is a very good question. But I lack the insight to answer it.

9. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

I think sometimes Sherdog has odd timewarps when keeping track of threads. For example, check out the first S&P thread. It's blank, not even a first post, because it predates the internet.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f13/thanks-714780/

10. Douglas Funnie

Douglas Funnie Green Belt

Pendlay's ghost is up to something.

great little tidbit of info though for sure.