Deadlifting problem.

Nanthony

White Belt
Reaction score
I have been working my deadlifts fairly hard and at the end of July I was pulling 405. Then football season started up and my deadlift has gone down a bit, it's probably atleast 385. I feel I can lock out 405, but my main problem is the getting the bar off the floor.

The question basically is, is there any exercises I can do that will help me build strength up to get the lift off? Thanks.

I have exactly the same problem and people recommended front squats for more leg drive. You can try that.

This use to happen to me all the time during the season. With the amount of time spent running and shit, I lost a TON of strength, but gained it all back plus some in the off-season.

That whole leg workout before practice really sucks too, running LB stunts with jello legs isn't all that fun.

Nanthony said:
The question basically is, is there any exercises I can do that will help me build strength up to get the lift off? Thanks.

The best lift for training the deadlift is the deadlift. Everyone can lock out more than they can pull from the floor. If your problem is at the beginning of the lift, either it's just too much weight for you to handle or you lack explosiveness, the abiltiy to quickly generate momentum. To train explosiveness, try lifting a lighter weight (maybe 60-70% of your max) very explosively. In other words, lift it as quickly as possible with good form Try 8-10 reps, taking 30 seconds rest between reps. If you have them, try bands or chains so that the resistance is heavier at the top of the lift.

Ebenezer said:
The best lift for training the deadlift is the deadlift. Everyone can lock out more than they can pull from the floor. If your problem is at the beginning of the lift, either it's just too much weight for you to handle or you lack explosiveness, the abiltiy to quickly generate momentum. To train explosiveness, try lifting a lighter weight (maybe 60-70% of your max) very explosively. In other words, lift it as quickly as possible with good form Try 8-10 reps, taking 30 seconds rest between reps. If you have them, try bands or chains so that the resistance is heavier at the top of the lift.

Actually I will somewhat disagree with you. I train the deadlift maaaaaybe 2 times a month. Read that, two times a month. Mostly because anything more, burnout is going to happen eventually. (Many other people here follow the same idea of deadlifting at most 2 times a month. However, not everyone has to do this since some people just don't burn out ever.) Substitute in variants like say rack pulls or platform deadlifts so that you don't burn out. (Which is possibly why your lift is starting to suffer) Also, if you want a strong start, work your squat and squat variants. How can you get a push off the floor if your legs have no push. Of course all this could be just being tired from practice. That will have a large effect on your pulls.

Also, if you are talking dynamic lifts, no need to go beyond say 3 reps or so. You aren't training for endurance.

I read once that WSB just puts in about 6 singles on deadlift after squats on their DE day. Going by that, even 3 reps or so is too many. Just trying to emphasize what sean said, keep the reps low, the emphasis is on explosiveness and power on DE days.

Urban said:
I read once that WSB just puts in about 6 singles on deadlift after squats on their DE day. Going by that, even 3 reps or so is too many. Just trying to emphasize what sean said, keep the reps low, the emphasis is on explosiveness and power on DE days.

If I remember the old stuff I read from The Lou, he said something like 3 reps for bench and 2 for deadlift/squats. Of course that was some old stuff so they probably just to hell with it and dropped it 1. I need to catch up :(

Sean S said:

That's suppose to be a sad emicon but it looks more annoyed. This needs to be brought up at your next forum improvement meeting Urban.

By which he means he noted it twice simultaneously - which is better than just noting it duly.

HULKAMANIA said:
By which he means he noted it twice simultaneously - which is better than just noting it duly.

What cha gonna do brotha when Hulkamania runs wild on your word choices?!?

No, I did mean twice simultaneously. he's absolutely correct. I wrote it down twice so I would remember it. he's lucky I didn't duely note it or them would be fightin words.

I write things down with both hands, too. I don't want to throw off the perfect symmetry of my meticulously sculpted forearms by varying their workload throughout the week.

Ebenezer said:
Try 8-10 reps, taking 30 seconds rest between reps. If you have them, try bands or chains so that the resistance is heavier at the top of the lift.

I wasn't saying to do 8-10 reps all at once, I was saying to do 8-10 single reps. Hence the 30 seconds between reps. I agree with not overdoing it, but everyone has to define what constitutes overdoing it. Personally, if I were having trouble off the floor, I'd do this dynamic lifting every other week, and do max effort (i.e. 1 rep max) on weeks I wasn't doing the dynamic lifting. If my deadlift was still stalling, I'd switch to SLDL, good mornings, etc. for a while and then come back to deadlifting later.

Ebenezer said:
I wasn't saying to do 8-10 reps all at once, I was saying to do 8-10 single reps. Hence the 30 seconds between reps. I agree with not overdoing it, but everyone has to define what constitutes overdoing it. Personally, if I were having trouble off the floor, I'd do this dynamic lifting every other week, and do max effort (i.e. 1 rep max) on weeks I wasn't doing the dynamic lifting. If my deadlift was still stalling, I'd switch to SLDL, good mornings, etc. for a while and then come back to deadlifting later.

Phew... that was a close one. Be more careful next time.

Again like the rest of these guys said, Lighter weight, faster speed, more power, etc. Using a lighter, medium weight, Put 2-3 plates on the floor and stand on them while deads. After 3 weesk, take a plate off, until your on the floor. You get the idea, right? :))

Back