Deadlift form check

PWR1982

Green Belt
Reaction score

Yes it's with straps, the fat owner of the gym was bitching that I would break the floor or whatever and that I'm gonna pay a lot if I do any damage. So I didn't want to piss him with making the slightest noise.

Some heavy deadlifts again today. Sorry that it's just 3 videos and the angle isn't that great (it might look like I'm not fully locking out the first 2 singles, but I am), didn't have enough time for doing more single. I'm trying to see whether I'm still jerking the bar, and whether I have good position for pulling. It still seems to me that while I have good speed off the floor, it always takes me like a second before I actually start pulling right (like I said in the noob questions thread). It's not as visible in either of these reps, because I was lucky and had decent starting position on all 3, but usually it's much worse.

I see there's some hitching (I think it's called that) on my pr of 501, but it's not that bad... I didn't do it intentionally, I just had problems locking it out, but I didn't feel any double knee bend, I just leaned back a bit, I see that it looks like double knee bend from the video though.

The fail at 523, I was already tired and I didn't commit - I just thought I would try it, see how heavy it feels when I exert some force to pull it, and then I just gave up. I only posted it to see if it could maybe explain the problem with pulling the bar that first inch or less.

It seems to me that I'm actually having problems with locking out, maybe I should try some rack pulls? Will have to find an actual gym for that though.

Only flaw I see is you seem to be looking down and that could result in a back rounding but that's hardly to see.

Also you should do it like situp guy behind you and wear gloves. That will increase your form by 100% immediately.

A lot of guys have problems locking out heavy DLs. It's a common weak/sticking point.

Fix it by getting stronger. Do some heavy, higher rep upper back work. Chins and rows are good. Other than that, just deadlift and get stronger.

Lol at the 523. You didn't even try.

Bad angle, would help to see your back and head.

I can't tell from the video, the camera is to low, but a lot of times having trouble at lock out is due to technique breaking down before...like jerking the bar, losing tightness, back rounding etc. Although it does look like you're jerking the bar.

I can't tell from the video, the camera is to low, but a lot of times having trouble at lock out is due to technique breaking down before...like jerking the bar, losing tightness, back rounding etc. Although it does look like you're jerking the bar.

Or just near maximal weights being heavy...?

Or just near maximal weights being heavy...?

If the lockout is signifcantly harder than breaking the weight off the ground, it'd be worthwhile to find out if it's due to a technical reason, rather than assuming it's just because of not being strong enough, or doing doing exercises to improve lockout.

If the lockout is signifcantly harder than breaking the weight off the ground, it'd be worthwhile to find out if it's due to a technical reason, rather than assuming it's just because of not being strong enough, or doing doing exercises to improve lockout.

2zgc9li.gif

Why high reps for rows/chins?

Teh hypertrophy.

Bigger, meatier upper back = win?

I don't know what that picture means.

Anytime a particular part of any lift is especially difficult it's worth considering wether it's a technical issue first.

I don't know what that picture means.

Anytime a particular part of any lift is especially difficult it's worth considering wether it's a technical issue first.

Ive got Tosa rnd 1 by submission get your bets in here guys!

Teh hypertrophy.

Bigger, meatier upper back = win?

Why will high reps for upper back hypertrophy help me more locking out deadlifts, than doing low reps for upper back strength?

Tosa, though I my technique for locking out deadlifts could be better, I do always try to push my hips through, but it just wasn't possible today. I tried, but it didn't work until I leaned back a bit.

I mean what is there to it, when you're locking out the deadlift? You just keep your legs extended, pull, and push your hips through, while keeping the bar close and weight on heels etc... Maybe it's just me, but I would say this is pretty simple.

Why will high reps for upper back hypertrophy help me more locking out deadlifts, than doing low reps for upper back strength?

I don't know, man.

Higher reps will still make you stronger, obviously.

How often do you see guys doing one rep chin ups, BORs or other assistance movements?

Isn't there's something about the cross section of a muscle and allowing you to produce more force blah blah?

Higher reps rows and chin ups = bigger/stronger upper back.

In my experience, very few people who have generally good form on submaximal lifts miss max effort deadlifts (without a deadlift suit) at the top because of a technical reason.

Also, as a general matter, I think too many people spend way to much time worry about proper technique on a maximal lift. Even if your overall technique is sound, it will fall part on an all out max. Now, I'm not saying you should not worry about technique or it's not important, but if someone think that perfect technique is always going to employed on a maximal lift, then I doubt that person has much experience with maxing.

In my experience, very few people who have generally good form on submaximal lifts miss max effort deadlifts (without a deadlift suit) at the top because of a technical reason.

Don't be a vagina. Grip and rip.

Fixed?

Tosa, though I my technique for locking out deadlifts could be better, I do always try to push my hips through, but it just wasn't possible today. I tried, but it didn't work until I leaned back a bit.

I mean what is there to it, when you're locking out the deadlift? You just keep your legs extended, pull, and push your hips through, while keeping the bar close and weight on heels etc... Maybe it's just me, but I would say this is pretty simple.

It's not the technique at lockout, it's technique before lockout resulting in a worse position at lock out. For example, I can't tell for certain, but it looks like you're jerking the bar, resulting in a loss of tension/back rounding, which will make the lockout harder. Whether that's the thing making lockout harder for you in particular, or your trouble is just because the weights heavy, or weak glutes etc. who knows? But improving technique will be beneficial regardless, and is a good thing anyway.

Also, as a general matter, I think too many people spend way to much time worry about proper technique on a maximal lift. Even if your overall technique is sound, it will fall part on an all out max. Now, I'm not saying you should not worry about technique or it's not important, but if someone think that perfect technique is always going to employed on a maximal lift, then I doubt that person has much experience with maxing.

I'm not saying technique should be perfect on a maximal lift. But at the same time, there's elements of technique that one should be able to maintain, regardless of the weight...ex. going for a deadlift max doesn't making jerking the bar okay, and going for a bench max doesn't make a lack of back tightness okay. And it also doesn't mean you ignore how technique broke down...it may be either an element of technique to pay extra attention to in training, or give an idea of what's weak and need to be improved.

TL/DR version: of course technique is going to break down on maximal lifts. That doesn't mean you ignore it, instead, figuring out how and why it broke down, and improving that will help you get stronger.

That's some rather smooth and gentle eccentric deadlifting buddy. The camera isn't the least bit perturbed when the weight hits the ground. This style will be helpful in the future when you want to deadlift in the bedroom beside a sleeping girlfriend or spouse. :D

Tosa: I don't disagree with anything that you say, and my original point was not directed at you specifically. I just think that sometimes people get stuck in all the small details, and miss the big picture, which is to put more weigh on the bar.

Your form looks fine to me. If your concerned about the lockout rack pulls would be the best remedy. Having to fight for a lockout at higher weights is normal imo. Anytime you lift a heavy maximal load you are typically going to have some minor form breakdowns.

Back