De-wheeling a tire

Klotz

Shalom
Reaction score
I found a tire that I can use for sledge bashing, and maybe some tossing. However, it's still attached to the wheel. Anyone know how to get it off? I tried prying it with a crowbar but that didn't work. When I stand on it, it makes an air flow noise which stops when I put my finger on the valve, but when I shanked the thing with a scissor blade nothing happened. Any ideas?

I found a tire that I can use for sledge bashing, and maybe some tossing. However, it's still attached to the wheel. Anyone know how to get it off? I tried prying it with a crowbar but that didn't work. When I stand on it, it makes an air flow noise which stops when I put my finger on the valve, but when I shanked the thing with a scissor blade nothing happened. Any ideas?

You can dismount a tire from a wheel by hand, but I use 2 tire irons, or crowbars. Soap it up, and wedge one bar under the lip, and use the other to work around. The hardest part will be hlafway across the wheel from your first bar. If it helps, the first part is the hardest- the back of the tire will come over the front of the rim a bit easier. Don't cut the tire- use pliers to pull the valve stem from the wheel.
LMK if any more ???.

How big is it? If oyu can load it up in to your vehicle, you could probably ask nicely at a tire shop and have them do it for you. Probably wouldn't charge anything either. It only takes a minute or so.

If you have a vehicle with decent ground clearance you can slowl drive over one edge of the tire (not the rim) to pop the bead. Then work around the rim with "wheel spoons" or crowbars to get seperation.

Sort of like this with or without ramp.

breaking_the_bead_sized.jpg

Is this just a normal car tire? or is it from a tractor? if it's just a car or truck tire you can get one without the rim for free just about anywhere and save the trouble

You can dismount a tire from a wheel by hand, but I use 2 tire irons, or crowbars. Soap it up, and wedge one bar under the lip, and use the other to work around. The hardest part will be hlafway across the wheel from your first bar. If it helps, the first part is the hardest- the back of the tire will come over the front of the rim a bit easier. Don't cut the tire- use pliers to pull the valve stem from the wheel.
LMK if any more ???.

Ahhhh another old tire man on the site!
Good, honest work, that.
Cheers!

Throw it off a tall building repeatedly. It will fall off eventually.

WTF?? Screw that, do it yourself and spend the $10-15 at the bar celebrating your awesomeness.

In the time it would have taken me to de-wheel my tire, I slammed two Guinness. Money is no object when it comes to getting drunk.

I think it's from a trailer that you attach to the back of a car.

Back