DDP vs. Prime Hendo?

mkt

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
In the spirit of the thread below on Anderson vs. Strickland and recent discussion of current top MWs vs. MW champs/contenders from the past, how about this one?

Should be a fun fight however it went. Without making my own prediction yet, I'll say that it would probably depend which Hendo showed up. The one who lost to Jake Shields or the one who beat Fedor just 15 months after the Shields fight? The one who lost to Misaki in Pride or the one who beat Vitor and Wand in his next 2 fights when both were still very good fighters? And of course there's the TRT Hendo vs. Non- TRT Hendo question.

Jake Shields dominated Hendo…. And Jake Shields did beat GSP like 2 rounds standing 😂

Du Plessis eat a lot of punches and that spell disaster when fighting Hendo.

Or Du Plessis can figure him out, evade the H bomb and beat him systematically down like he did with Rob.
I see some similarities between them: both very strong, both have good chins, both have KO power in their hands but rely too much on their chins for striking defense. Hendo is a far more decorated wrestler but DDP uses wresting more often. Hendo did use his on occasiona though, like vs. Rich Franklin and the 1st round against Anderson.

The main difference is Hendo was more-or-less a classic wrestle-boxer while DDP has an awkward style along the lines of Keith Jardine or Jiri...though none of them really fight the same way, either.

Du Plessis eat a lot of punches and that spell disaster when fighting Hendo.

Or Du Plessis can figure him out, evade the H bomb and beat him systematically down like he did with Rob.
That was shown in his second fight with Soldić when he got shadowrealmed.

This feels like a coin flip.

Hendo was a deceptively good striker and fed Bisping right hands before the iconic KO he also went in with razor close fights against Machida, Evans and Shogun close to their primes but DDP is also a deceptively good striker and would have a cardio advantage along with what seems to be more diverse striking.
Grappling most likely stalls out with no significant control time so this comes out to Hendos power vs DDP's volume.

I'm leaning Hendo just based on the fact DDP gets tagged quite often early and Hendo was a master at setting up those KO shots. I really could see this being like a Shogun/Hendo type war where both men are determined to break the other guy but neither man's willing to quit.

People might hate on me for saying this but I think Dricus would take him down
I mean Ninja Rua took down Hendo. DDP is definitely a better wrestler than Ninja and stronger as well. Whether he could keep Hendo down for long periods is another story. DDP is no Cormier (who fought and dominated an old Hendo) but Shields also managed to keep Hendo down a good bit. Not many others could, though.

Hendo lost fights he could’ve easily won or should’ve on paper. DDP could get the W depending on how he fights. I do think it’s Hendo’s fight to lose.
Edit- After thinking about it more. I think it comes down to if DDP wants to keep it standing or uses a wrestling game plan. 50-50.

Last edited:
Back