DC GRAPPLERS I need info!!

Washington Judo Club is a wonderful place and well regarded school if you have any interest in training Judo in the city. I have trained at the Georgetown school and loved it there.

$99/month here for just bjj. $149/month for everything.

They must have lowered the prices then. They raise their prices on a pro-rated system. Guys who started when it was $60 a month pay $60, if you started when they charged $80 a month, you pay $80, etc, etc. It was $99 a month when I started there but I know they raised the prices while I was still there for the newbies. Did they really lower them back down? Or are you just quoting what YOU pay?

Thanks for the mention and kind words guys!

Just to clarify: We are located between Chantilly and Herndon which is a little south of Sterling - maybe 5-10 minute drive down route 28. (We'd have to call ourselves Loudoun Jiu- Jitsu if we were in Sterling :D )

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu | Mixed Martial Arts - MMA - Grappling in Northern Virginia - Fairfax County - Herndon

2 BJJ Black Belts!

FairfaxJJ_Logo.jpg

Just in case you aren't sick of me posting everywhere :D, our totally awesome TV commercial: YouTube - Fairfax Jiu Jitsu TV Commercial

Washington Judo Club is a wonderful place and well regarded school if you have any interest in training Judo in the city. I have trained at the Georgetown school and loved it there.

I will always recommend the Georgetown judo club to ANYBODY looking to train Judo. They are probably the best on the east coast.

Just curious...which location does Aaron Riley teach at? Is he in Herndon now or is he in Maryland?

They must have lowered the prices then. They raise their prices on a pro-rated system. Guys who started when it was $60 a month pay $60, if you started when they charged $80 a month, you pay $80, etc, etc. It was $99 a month when I started there but I know they raised the prices while I was still there for the newbies. Did they really lower them back down? Or are you just quoting what YOU pay?

I started with Tony in June 2007, and I was given the $99 per month rate. It has not changed for me since then.

If it has been adjusted upwards for new students since then, I'm not aware of it. I have heard Tony quoting the $99 price to at least some new people, so I believe that is the current rate to the best of my knowledge.

All things considered, it is a very good rate for the area and high level of instruction.

Who is they?

Our school has ALWAYS had these prices since we opened. The only difference is for people who had a lower rate from the old school, in which case they continue to pay the same, lower rate.

It has never been more or less than $99/month for just BJJ, $149 for everything.

It all depends what you are looking for. If you are interested in competing then the only schools in the area with significant success at higher levels are Leo Dalla, Lloyd Irvin, and Yamasaki. (All of which have multiple locations)

Other schools offer other things which you may enjoy but the facts of the competition results speak for themselves. Capital's only good "BJJ" guy was a high caliber wrestler first. They've never created anyone completely homegrown.

CJJ has quite a few people who win medals on a regular basis, so I'm not sure where you are getting your info from. I will say that CJJ is not a "tournament" school, as in they don't push people to compete. However those interested in competing are given all the support you could ask for.

Springfield Mall is home to Yamasaki...umm hello!!!

If you don't like contracts (I sure as hell don't). Then Capital Jiu Jitsu is only a stones throw away in Alexandria. It's only like $99 a month I think.

Yeah, yamasaki academy has a few schools around NoVA. I live in California now, but i trained with David Jacobs (who posts here, i think) for a month before i moved. All the Yamasaki higher ups (purples, browns) seemed really cool.

If I lived out in Sterling, I would personally train at Fairfax JJ with Dave Jacobs. He is an internationally respected blackbelt, a very active competitor, a good guy, and has an account here. PM and ask him what's up.

This is why i should read entire threads before i post in them.

CJJ has quite a few people who win medals on a regular basis, so I'm not sure where you are getting your info from. I will say that CJJ is not a "tournament" school, as in they don't push people to compete. However those interested in competing are given all the support you could ask for.

Perhaps I need to clarify what the words "significant success at higher levels means". International.

Leo Dalla, Lloyd Irvin, and Yamasaki have had success from multiple individuals at multiple belts ranks at multiple international tournaments. How many has Capital had?

Medals at GQ, NAGA, US Grappling, etc at White and Blue belts levels (although nice) do not constitute success at HIGHER LEVELS of BJJ...except perhaps to those who are not aware what a higher level of jiu jitsu is. I recommend going to the Pan Ams/Worlds/Brailiero in order to understand my meaning.

My only point is that if you have a plethora of schools that offer that kind of success, why would you go anywhere else? Unless you don't care about success...which may be the case.

Perhaps I need to clarify what the words "significant success at higher levels means". International.

Leo Dalla, Lloyd Irvin, and Yamasaki have had success from multiple individuals at multiple belts ranks at multiple international tournaments. How many has Capital had?

Medals at GQ, NAGA, US Grappling, etc at White and Blue belts levels (although nice) do not constitute success at HIGHER LEVELS of BJJ...except perhaps to those who are not aware what a higher level of jiu jitsu is. I recommend going to the Pan Ams/Worlds/Brailiero in order to understand my meaning.

My only point is that if you have a plethora of schools that offer that kind of success, why would you go anywhere else? Unless you don't care about success...which may be the case.

ahh ok. I'll be the first to admit my knowledge is limited, my mistake on missing the "higher" part, as it was indeed a major point that i missed.

For myself personally, I'm very realistic in my own abilities, and to be honest, no matter who my instructor(s) is, the only reason I will ever be at the Pan Ams or worlds, will be as a spectator. So really, a schools past success doesn't really equate to me being better at Jiu-Jitsu.

CJJ meets my needs perfectly, great instruction, great atmosphere, and fairly close to home. But as they say, different strokes for different folks.

From Philly, moving to Springfield VA. It's about 12 miles outside of DC.

Any suggestions where to continue training?

Also, if you can give me any info about Springfield, VA...I have no idea what it's like living there. Hiring manager says it's a great place to live...He also told me I'd be getting a better salary which I didn't...So I'm not going to listen to him about anything at this point.

Thanks in advance.

Its proly too late to post this since the original poster started this thread like 3 months ago, but I've been training at Yamasaki in the Springfield mall (which will most likely be the most convieniant location for you if you live in Springfield) and it's been great. A couple of blackbelts instruct there couple nights a week (Francisco Neto and Fernando Yamasaki) plus a number of great brown belts too. Also, we frequently have guest black belts (Cadu Francis, for example). And of course, there plenty of people, lots of upper belts, and everyone is pretty cool.

It may be a slightly longer drive, but you can't go wrong with Fairfax BJJ either, Mark Jones and Dave Jacobs (black belts) are superb. It

Back