DC GRAPPLERS I need info!!

Enlitened

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
From Philly, moving to Springfield VA. It's about 12 miles outside of DC.

Any suggestions where to continue training?

Also, if you can give me any info about Springfield, VA...I have no idea what it's like living there. Hiring manager says it's a great place to live...He also told me I'd be getting a better salary which I didn't...So I'm not going to listen to him about anything at this point.

Thanks in advance.

I live in Alexandria which is the city just north of Springfield and I train at Capital jiu jitsu which is a Gracie network gym. I have not been training there long but I like it so far. The instructors are awesome, the other students are friendly and helpful and it is the closest gym to Springfield other than One Spirit Martial Arts (a Pedro Sauer gym) which is also in Alexandria.

www.gracieva.com
www.onespiritmartialarts.com

As for Springfield it's not too bad a lil ghetto in some parts, but the worst part about No VA is the traffic and the high cost of living.

meguillas place is in arlington or alexandria as well

Maguilla's place is in Silver Spring Maryland, over an hour away with traffic. I don't know if he has an affiliate school in Northern Virginia.

I train at Capital also, the instructors are first rate and the atmosphere is very relaxed. Lots of schools in the area, find what fits best with your goals.

The traffic will drive you crazy, but being from Philly you're probably used to a lot of traffic. Housing has also gotten very expensive, but other than that a great place to live. Lots of things to do around here.

Springfield Mall is home to Yamasaki...umm hello!!!

If you don't like contracts (I sure as hell don't). Then Capital Jiu Jitsu is only a stones throw away in Alexandria. It's only like $99 a month I think.

I guess Capital is the safe bet. But there are a lot to choose from, so that good.

Great info guys, appreciate it...

I keep hearing about the damn traffic...Traffic is bad around here, but not notoriously bad like I've heard about LA or DC...oh well.

I keep hearing about the damn traffic...Traffic is bad around here, but not notoriously bad like I've heard about LA or DC...oh well.

I used to live and train in the area. Don't underestimate the traffic and driving/parking situations for the gym you pick. There's nothing worse than coming home after a long stressful day at work then deciding if you really want to deal with all the other asshole drivers to make it to class. When i first started training I skipped a ton of classes for the same reason.

I used to live and train in the area. Don't underestimate the traffic and driving/parking situations for the gym you pick. There's nothing worse than coming home after a long stressful day at work then deciding if you really want to deal with all the other asshole drivers to make it to class. When i first started training I skipped a ton of classes for the same reason.

Hahaha damn yall!!! Almost every person in this thread mentioned the traffic!! Tasokap is right, you'd think I'd be used to the traffic being from Philly, moving to NYC, now to VA...

Forget BJJ, i need to train in something else to prepare for this traffic

Any recommendations for those in DC metro area? I took an internship for the summer, and will be living near Capital Hill. I am not familiar with the area at all.

Capital Jiu Jitsu or Yamasaki should meet your needs in that area.

I'd probably check out both and see which one you prefer.

Here is my run down on Pedro Sauer's school

Pedro teaches his students twice a week in two - one hour and a half sessions. He usually misses one class every two weeks due to seminar scheduling so on average students see him four and a half hours every two weeks.

Classes begin with a warm up run then stretching and drills (shrimp, roll, etc.). This lasts for about fifteen mintues. Next the head instructor teaches a move (the next highest belt under Pedro)

Pedro shows up 30 minutes into class and corrects a move the head instructor is demonstrating or shows a move of his own. He ususally shows two or three moves per class from the same position (i.e. side control, guard, etc).

Pedro demonstartes moves in PERFECT detail, leaving nothing out and is able to field the "what if" questions confidently. Partners drill the first move about three times each (unless your partner is slow like molasses), then Pedro adds more details and you drill it another three times and move on to the next variation. Pedro does not walk around and watch people execute the move. He talks to people and if soeone has a question they come up to him. Partners rely on partners for feedback, basically.

Then what happens is that higher belts stay on the floor and lower belts line up against a wall. Lower belts walk to the higher belts and start from the position (position practiced in class) and if they are swept or submitted they go back in line, if they beat the higher belt they stay on the mat. This usually lasts from 5 - 15 minutes.

This is the format for every class.

Ocassionally Pedro talks M etaphorically about jiu-jitsu philosophy and tells a story Gracies in Brasil. He admittedly never talks about points or sport jiu-jitsu competition. He teaches jiu-jitsu as a self defense. he believes in submissions and finishes, not wins by points. He emphasizes collar chokes. He doesn't get into leglocks or feet submissions. He doesn't get into strategy or discuss what moves have the best rate of success. He gives out knowledge slowly. He is very respectful and outgoing. He shakes everyone's hand before and after class. He doesn't stay after class.

chime in guys, what is your school like?

Capital Jiu Jitsu is a great place to train. I train at the other location that they have out in dulles, va. Great staff, great atmosphere. Definetly atleast check it out.

If I lived out in Sterling, I would personally train at Fairfax JJ with Dave Jacobs. He is an internationally respected blackbelt, a very active competitor, a good guy, and has an account here. PM and ask him what's up.

Ok
The best deal is the A.U wrestling club which is 70/year. Practice twice a week and access to the gym whenever you want. If you live in N.W near the tenlytown, chevy chase, and close by - then Maguillas is your best bet. Its very close community. Near him, I run a small training group - Capital Punishment MMA About CPMMA.

a bunch of yamasakis around there, and capital as well.

It all depends what you are looking for. If you are interested in competing then the only schools in the area with significant success at higher levels are Leo Dalla, Lloyd Irvin, and Yamasaki. (All of which have multiple locations)

Other schools offer other things which you may enjoy but the facts of the competition results speak for themselves. Capital's only good "BJJ" guy was a high caliber wrestler first. They've never created anyone completely homegrown.

How much are the monthly rates at your guys classes in NOVA? I am in Richmond now, the place here is 130 a month and I used to do it in Fredericksburg for 130 a month too. Little steep for me right now :/

How much are the monthly rates at your guys classes in NOVA? I am in Richmond now, the place here is 130 a month and I used to do it in Fredericksburg for 130 a month too. Little steep for me right now :/

$99/month here for just bjj. $149/month for everything.

Back