• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

DC Believes Fedor Was 'Average At Best' In 2009

Fedor got knocked out by Hendo, a blownup Middleweight. Fedor got TKO'd by Antonio Silva a slow lumbering Heavyweight who followed up his Fedor win by going 3-10 (1).

I agree 100%. Fedor fans like to pretend his prime ended when he was 31 (VERY YOUNG for a HW) when he lost to Werdum, Big Foot, and Hendo back to back to back, but the fact is he lost. And he lost badly

His prime ended around the time he was 31-1 or 10 years as a pro.
Go through all the other divisional goats. They start losing at 10 years or 30+ fights. It's the time for the next generation to appear, training injuries to stack up and is basically an MMA fighters prime winning period 9/10.
Jon Jones is 28-1
Anderson Silva was 33-4 before he started losing regularly
GSP 26-2 (2002-2013 before Hendricks)
Khabib 29-0 (Plenty of other good LWs but recency bias)
Aldo 25-2 (2004-2015 before Mcgregor)
Cruz 22-2 (2005-2016) TJ is an outlier because of his win streak record curse.
MM 30-4 ( one of the outliers as he was on top for so long)

I would bet on a prime Fedor against Silva on his feet all day tho.. Have a hard time seeing Anderson have a chance there.
Prime for Prime at HW? Yeah all day, at MW or LHW? It would be competitive, Fedor was more of a grappler than a pure wrestler which Anderson always had a problem with. In a strictly stand up affair? I think Anderson beats him rather easily.

Prime for Prime at HW? Yeah all day, at MW or LHW? It would be competitive, Fedor was more of a grappler than a pure wrestler which Anderson always had a problem with. In a strictly stand up affair? I think Anderson beats him rather easily.

I agree to disagree. Fedor were too reactive and explosive, CroCop vs Fedor was a good example of this. But sure, Silva could win with his saviness and coolness.

wait - are you suggesting fedor would be favorite and likely to beat cain in that time frame? you know who he beat in those years as well as how he continued to fight in 2012 and 2013.
Do you know who he beat in that time frame? Big Nog was 6 years removed from the 3rd fight with Fedor. Ben Rothwell, who is capable but not a World beater, and honestly the fight was stopped prematurely. Kongo always has struggled with anybody with a hint of grappling. Brock, who can't take a punch. Who from that list can you say Fedor can't beat?

Still better than average in his downward part of his career.

DC was average at best.

If he handled Arlovski who was at the top of his game at the time, I'm sure he could've beaten Kongo.

Fedor got knocked out by Hendo, a blownup Middleweight. Fedor got TKO'd by Antonio Silva a slow lumbering Heavyweight who followed up his Fedor win by going 3-10 (1).

Hendo would lose 9/10 or 10/10 against a prime Fedor, dont be silly. Just look how fast Fedor got Hendo to ground in that fight when he clearly were on his downhill of career. Hendo is a dangerous fighter and he caught a probably too comfortable and underestemating Fedor. Hendo has that potential to anyone, specially on TRT.

Antonio Silva was a giant and could give a hard time to anyone. Wasn't he on trt aswell in that fight? Anyway he fought an old old Fedor in regards of fighting mileage. Fedor hanged on there looking for a solution and then the fight got called finished by judges. Sure Silva seemed to have won that anyway but having seen Fedor coming back from hard times you never know what would have happened if it continued. Prime Fedor tho would have been another story imho.

His prime ended around the time he was 31-1 or 10 years as a pro.
Go through all the other divisional goats. They start losing at 10 years or 30+ fights. It's the time for the next generation to appear, training injuries to stack up and is basically an MMA fighters prime winning period 9/10.
Jon Jones is 28-1
Anderson Silva was 33-4 before he started losing regularly
GSP 26-2 (2002-2013 before Hendricks)
Khabib 29-0 (Plenty of other good LWs but recency bias)
Aldo 25-2 (2004-2015 before Mcgregor)
Cruz 22-2 (2005-2016) TJ is an outlier because of his win streak record curse.
MM 30-4 ( one of the outliers as he was on top for so long)

Thank you.

Hendo would lose 9/10 or 10/10 against a prime Fedor, dont be silly. Just look how fast Fedor got Hendo to ground in that fight when he clearly were on his downhill of career. Hendo is a dangerous fighter and he caught a probably too comfortable and underestemating Fedor. Hendo has that potential to anyone, specially on TRT.

Antonio Silva was a giant and could give a hard time to anyone. Wasn't he on trt aswell in that fight? Anyway he fought an old old Fedor in regards of fighting mileage. Fedor hanged on there looking for a solution and then the fight got called finished by judges. Sure Silva seemed to have won that anyway but having seen Fedor coming back from hard times you never know what would have happened if it continued. Prime Fedor tho would have been another story imho.
I find it funny that MMA fans still don't understand that lesser fighters beat better fighters because of the random, uncertainty of a fight.

Fighter A thinks duck thinking a HK is coming. Just a wrong read.
Fighter B think knee at the same time thinking he's going to land a body blow.
Fighter A, who in this scenario is the better fighter, gets knocked out.
Fighter B wins.

Dan landed a clean punch to his face. WTF did you want him to do? Getting knocked out by a H bomb doesn't make you less of a fighter.

Last edited:
Firstly, Fedor's prime ended by 07-08, due to having sustained a concurrent combat sambo career and injuries catching up with him; believing that age is the sole barometer for a fighter's prime is woeful ignorance.

And you keep acting like that's the only thing Cormier said; claiming that a fighter would be "average at best" but still favor them to defeat the then-champion is not only absurd but a laughable contradiction.

Furthermore, when Fedor could be considered a favorite in at least half of the top ten (even in the 2011 rankings), how exactly is that "average at best"?

The truth of the matter is that because Fedor spoke honestly about Dana White and the UFC, the latter two ordered Cormier to slander Fedor's name in retaliation; Cormier is a UFC shill and even if he wasn't, his opinion is often times biased at best and delusional at worst.

You sound like me talking about Aldo. Most primes are about a decade or a little less for top tier fighters. Some have injuries, differential fight mileage and training methods which expedite it. It's crazy to think that in a sport with such a miniscule margin for error that these guys continued to win despite fighting the best guys in the world.

If you hang around long enough at the top you will eventually lose as your skills erode, reflexes and speed slow and your durability begins to deteriorate. People here just want to shit on fighters. This isn't a team sport. You don't see gradual decline unless you're really looking for it and even then it can seem sudden, as if they aged overnight since you only see them a couple times a year.

He’s not wrong in the sense that’s Fedor wasn’t in his prime anymore by that time. Average at best is inaccurate but not the #1 HW? Yes.

I hate that he’s fighting again soon. He is the GOAT to me.

You sound like me talking about Aldo. Most primes are about a decade or a little less for top tier fighters. Some have injuries, differential fight mileage and training methods which expedite it. It's crazy to think that in a sport with such a miniscule margin for error that these guys continued to win despite fighting the best guys in the world.

If you hang around long enough at the top you will eventually lose as your skills erode, reflexes and speed slow and your durability begins to deteriorate. People here just want to shit on fighters. This isn't a team sport. You don't see gradual decline unless you're really looking for it and even then it can seem sudden, as if they aged overnight since you only see them a couple times a year.
Exactly. People shit on Aldo but can't take 30 seconds to ponder on the fact Aldo has literally been fighting since he was 18 (if not earlier in unsanctioned fights) and he's what 35 now and still fighting, and winning if not at least being competitive, against the best in the world.

Literally 15 of those years were against nothing but the best killers the world had to offer at 145.

And he's still fighting against top flight competition at 135 in the twilight stages of his career.

Like respect the resume FFS.

idc my balls shrivel with excitement when Fedor fights, I'm pumped for tomorrow whether he wins or loses

Was that when he was in Strikeforce? He never really looked great once he got there, which is expected..he had tons of miles on him

https://www.mmafighting.com/2021/10...verage-at-best-had-he-come-to-the-ufc-in-2009

“Versus Brock Lesnar, I’ll give you that. I think he beats Brock Lesnar. But outside of that, I don’t think Fedor competes very well in the UFC. I think that, honestly, Fedor not going to the UFC allowed for the intrigue to stay, but the reality of the situation is he would not have done well against those guys like JDS (Junior dos Santos), he wasn’t beating Cain Velasquez, he would have struggled with guys like Cheick Kongo. He was not beating those guys that were at the top of the UFC at that time. I’m certain of it.

“I know you’re gonna say, ‘ Well he beat this guy, he beat (Antonio Rodrigo) Nogueira and he beat Frank Mir.’ For as great as he is, he would have been, at that time in the sport, average at best. I’m telling you. Fedor Emelianenko in the UFC between 2009-11, average at best.”

Do you agree?

Around 2010? Yeah, Fedor was clearly past prime.

Average might be too harsh, but I'd pick JDS, DC, Cain, UberReem, and Carwin over him. And of course, Werdum and Bigfoot defeated him in real life.

Prime Fedor speed blitzes everyone in that list outside of DC, though. But JDS and Carwin can make it a tough fight and potentially win.

Last edited:
Back