Day Jobs?

i'm not going to tell myself i'll be the next UFC champ but entering in tournys and comps are important to me i work 3 jobs during the year and 2 during the summer. but i love grappling and will never leave it out of my life

I'm turning 18, so I have some time. I wanna get to atleast national level in judo. Olympic team maybe :)

i at least want a medal from the mundials. that is the ultimate goal for me. 1st place second place third place or third place it don't matter... i just want one.

don't really care for mma i just want a medal damnit.

Absolutely for fun. I'm 27, started at 25, and BJJ is always going to be a hobby for me. It would be nice to do some teaching in the future (something I enjoy doing in my main job anyway, so a skill I'd like to develop further), maybe once I reach purple, but I can't see that ever being anything more than an adjunct to my main career.

There's a good interview with Ed Kennedy on the Fightworks Podcast relevant to this topic: he's a normal guy with a normal job, who just so happens to have reached the rank of black belt along the way.

i know i won't be the next BJ Penn. yet i still want to train as hard as i can to do better. i do bjj for tournaments and get fit. right now i'm a white belt so i still haven't found my game yet.

i do have a career as a photographer, so i use bjj as another step in using my photography skills.

I really want to commit myself to full time training. I'm thinking about dropping out of university, spending my remaining tuition money in Brazil for a few years, and getting my black belt.

I'd like to open an academy. I want my work to be grappling or combat sport related. There are people around here who've opened academies who are just purple belts and live well off that. Quite frankly, I'd rather work doing something that makes me happy, even if I have to struggle with money sometimes.

I just train for fun... sure it'd be nice to do well, but I'm happy just training.

job: electrical engineer

I see so many people settle for smaller goals that there seems to be more competition at the lower levels than at the higher levels because of this self-doubt. People don't think they're good enough to achieve greatness in their fields. What people forget is that everyone has the same self-doubt you experience. Aim high- it tends to be easier than "being happy if I get here."

Timothy Ferris inspiration.

I train to just get better and eventually become competitive at least on the national level. Right now I work too much to even be very competitive, I'm just trying to refine my technique. Also, I have a bum knee and shoulder that keeps me from competitions seeing that I need to at times sit out due to sharp pains, I plan on getting my ACL replaced after I get my black belt (hopefully in the next 2-3 years) and probably get my shoulder scoped to see if any kind of real surgery is necessary at that time as well. As much as I would like to be the next BJ Penn, I don't think realistically it will happen, but I'm happy with my training and I enjoy just learning new techniques and building my various games. If I can fully recover from my surgeries and be 100%, I might reconsider doing MMA in my late 20's.

I'm about to see if I can take it up a notch. I've been training 5-6 hours a week for a couple months, now I'm moving within biking distance and trying to see how much training my body can take.

If I make it to competition level, I'll probably try to have a couple matches, to see how I like it. If not, at least I'll be in pretty damned good shape.

I think most ppl under 23 expect to get somewhere with their training.

I am 23, have a full time job in IT, train 4 times a week in BJJ. Purely for fun, and for wanting to learn the art.

I'm 40 and have trained in Bjj for 2 1/2 years with my 16 yr son.
I'm a Fireman and get to retire at 54 so at that time I would love to be a good BB and open my own Dojo just to have people to train with and spread the art with my son. That is my 14 year plan I would also love to see my boy compete at Abu dabi I would love that

Awesome dude.

I have no illusions opf granduer myself for my judo career as far as competing goes, a hobby I will be heavily involved in as long as I can I hope.

My goal is more towards teachning, as I work with children now I could see myself prgression to work more with teenagers in fostercare/homes. martial arts/judo can be a huge factor of that

I turn 34 in 2 weeks and I've been training for 2 years. I work in municipal government (IT Director and Purchasing Agent). My ultimate goal is more geared towards teaching than being a Mundials champion. I like competing, but with my whole family training, competitions get expensive really quick (especially if it involves flying to the other side of the country).

I really fear I will become "one of those" parents that push their kids, and with my genes they will be stubborn bastards LoL so I will ahve a fight on my hands

the plan is as follows

5-7 gymnastics
7-12: Judo
12-16: Thai/kick-boxing
16- World champ: BJJ/MMA

i would love to become really good in BJJ. maybe one day even get my black belt and become an instructor. ive always been good at helping people and teaching so why not bring my passion for jiu jitsu into that right?

I really fear I will become "one of those" parents that push their kids, and with my genes they will be stubborn bastards LoL so I will ahve a fight on my hands

the plan is as follows

5-7 gymnastics
7-12: Judo
12-16: Thai/kick-boxing
16- World champ: BJJ/MMA

We never pushed our kids. That's why there was such a long gap between when the 3 of us started and when our daughter started. We offered it to her at first and she said she wasn't interested. Then, out of the blue a few months ago, she started asking about starting BJJ.

I'm 41, this past weekend was the only time I can remember when there was a tournament with an age group for people over 40. Unfortunately, I was alone in that division as my opponent was no where to be seen.

So I dropped down to the 30-39 age group and grappled against a beast of a guy who tapped me with a forearm crush to my jaw and teeth. I tapped to save me dental reconstruction surgery. At my age I'm not getting younger, the injuries not only take longer to heal but become more expensive to repair.

I work 3 jobs in Hawaii to try to own a piece of this island. I train for fun but when I train, I train and learn as serious as I can but have fun at the same time.

No, I won't be bj penn but I will be someone who upholds the rank and honor my instructor, my academy, my competition team and my purple belt.

I mostly train for self defense. I don't compete, although I probably should because the pace would probably be more like what you would see in a real fight. It is kind of hard though, you come home from a hard day's grind and all you want is nice cold one (crisp as a mountain stream) but you have to go practice.

Back