Davis - Gustafsson II: Who Would You Favor?

Ace1988

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Very curious to see how everyone breaks down this matchup.

They have both said that they would fight each other if it was for the title. If Gustafsson were to beat Jones in a rematch and Davis wins his next fight, it could happen as soon as next year.

Both guys have improved. Davis is mixing up his overall game and Gus has obviously been honing his TDD and boxing to another level.

Who wins and how?

Gus wins. I dont think Davis is anywhere near Jones level. I will say by TKO in the 3rd.

Gus is more complete now thanks to Davis. I see Gus winning but even if the title was on the line, doubt it happens.

Gus by being able to keep it standing and outstrike Davis.

Like my man HeexX said; He'll be able to keep the fight on the feet and outstrike him.

Even before this past Saturday I would have said Gus. Now I'm even more confident about that.

It's hard not to pick Gus after seeing his well improved TDD.

If Davis improves to the same degree Gus has, it will be a very interesting and competitive fight like Jones vs Gus. If Davis hasn't improved as much, Gus will defeat him relatively easily. The most significant advantage Davis should have over Jones is a better shot but Gus has shown superb TDD. He may also be slightly faster than Jones but probably not faster than Gus. I imagine that Davis can't realistically strike with him and will have a difficult time holding him down if he can get the takedown. Gus by rd. 2 tko.

Gus would probably win. Better takedown defense means Gus keeps it standing and mauls Davis from the outside with his range.

It's hard to say. Gus' tdd looked phenomenal against jones. However, this is largely because of the work he's been doing with Davis, so Davis would know a lot more about what gus can do effectively and what he cant.

dunno who would win tbh, all would come down to whether or not davis could get him down imo

Even if we assume they've learned the same knowledge in total from each other (which doesn't really appear to be true), Alex knowing what Phil likes to look for on the ground and knowing how to avoid it, is probably going to lead to victory more times than Phil knowing how Alex is going to strike with him.

It's generally easier to get outside of the ground world once you're good at doing so. I doubt Phil gets Gustafsson down without massive trouble at this point, and also probably has issues keeping him there, and that's his only way to avoid the boxing. They both know each other's tricks.

i'd have to go with gus in the rematch

I got Davis by decision.

Think Gus will get taken down and GnP for 3 rounds. Bones wanted to beat Gus at his own game with strikes, if he went for the takedown straight away he would have got it.

Davis has improved his striking but not as significantly as Gus improving his TDD...Davis has created a monster in Gus...Both guys can beat jones but both guys fighting I'd say Gus by slightly better striking.

Very curious to see how everyone breaks down this matchup.

They have both said that they would fight each other if it was for the title. If Gustafsson were to beat Jones in a rematch and Davis wins his next fight, it could happen as soon as next year.

Both guys have improved. Davis is mixing up his overall game and Gus has obviously been honing his TDD and boxing to another level.

Who wins and how?

Gus by UD.

I think Gus has evolved more over time.I also think that he has really mastered using his reach to his advantage,and should win if he can keep the fight standing.

Gustafsson , Davis himself admitted he can't take him down anymore. Plus they wouldn't fight unless the title was on the line.

Likely Gus. Phil Davis does not have that kind of heart we saw Gus display Saturday night.

Back