Movies David Lynch movie you like the most

I used to try with stuff like that when I was younger as well. I want a coherent narrative or it's just not gonna work for me. To me, if I can't tell what your story is even supposed to be about that just means you failed as a storyteller.
He said Mulholland Drive he was just fucking about and no point to it...bugger off then!

Meanwhile thousands of people are off making a college level thesis over what that movie REALLY means lmao
Oh gosh. It's a nice drive and I enjoyed the movie, but hidden meaning...nahhhh :D

I used to try with stuff like that when I was younger as well. I want a coherent narrative or it's just not gonna work for me. To me, if I can't tell what your story is even supposed to be about that just means you failed as a storyteller.

No.

He said Mulholland Drive he was just fucking about and no point to it...bugger off then!

No.

What is it ?

Twin Peaks Fire Walk with Me

followed by
Mulholland drive

followed by
Lost Highway

Followed by
Blue Velvet

Followed by
who gives a fuck

Mulholland Drive

best lesbian scene in a oscar contention film

PS Eraserhead was ok but will never rewatch
ones I have said are rewatches

HOW ARE YOU REALLY????

BOB = BEWARE OF BOB

Last edited:
Just watched my first Lynch actually. Eraserhead. Loved it.

Elephant Man is up next on my list. After that, what should I go with? I know nothing about Twin Peaks, Blue Velvet or Muholland Drive but I keep seeing those pop up.

Definitely Wild at Heart

8ddc57d9a9b89af36e3a7383497a65ba.gif

That and Eraserhead are probably the "most lynch" you can get in a good way, you could probably talk about some kind of fantasy subtext but really its just Lynch having fun pushing his style to the extreme along with Cage and Defoe doing the same. Listening to Cage talk about the production does make it sound like a glorious mess of random ideas they were having.

I think you could argue Lost Highway and Mullholland are Lynch taking the style he worked out across that Blue Velvet and Twin Peaks and putting it into more dramatic films, films that have a clearer dramatic aim. Whilst it might take a bit of thought to work out exact details I don't think they really need that, its a situation were I'd say most viewers know on a subconscious level what there watching.

The Elephant Man is a bit apart from the rest of his work, probably more of a preview of what a Lynch who worked within Hollywood more would have done and I do think it stands up very well indeed. Compared to someone like Burton I think Lynch shows a hell of alot more class in that kind of often drama, not turning it into kooky entertainment.

I love Lynch but i think twin peaks is his best stuff. Felt like he had to be a little more solid with twin peaks, less wiggle room for him to just puke art are over the place.

I won't hold it against ya, unless you ask me nicely.

I was so excited. It just didn't work for me, I felt a bit let down.

It just occurred to me: Even if you hated & bailed on season 3, do yourself a favor & check out episode 8, if you didn’t already get that far. You can just watch it as a standalone episode, they have it individually on amazon for 3 bucks. You in particular wouldn’t want to miss that one episode.

It just occurred to me: Even if you hated & bailed on season 3, do yourself a favor & check out episode 8, if you didn’t already get that far. You can just watch it as a standalone episode, they have it individually on amazon for 3 bucks. You in particular wouldn’t want to miss that one episode.
I have Showtime, hopefully it's still on there onDemand.

If I have to pick, it’s probably Wild At Heart; although Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive are right up its ass. All fantastic.

That said, his 3rd season of Twin Peaks — the most recent one, the one made 25 years after the 3rd season — is his masterwork, best thing he’s ever done. Fucking glorious

TBlE1C4.gif

source.gif

MD and LH i would tie for 1st.

i loved TP 1st 2 seasons, but nevver have watched the 3rd.

Fire Walk With Me was for the birds though,

That and Eraserhead are probably the "most lynch" you can get in a good way, you could probably talk about some kind of fantasy subtext but really its just Lynch having fun pushing his style to the extreme along with Cage and Defoe doing the same. Listening to Cage talk about the production does make it sound like a glorious mess of random ideas they were having.

I think you could argue Lost Highway and Mullholland are Lynch taking the style he worked out across that Blue Velvet and Twin Peaks and putting it into more dramatic films, films that have a clearer dramatic aim. Whilst it might take a bit of thought to work out exact details I don't think they really need that, its a situation were I'd say most viewers know on a subconscious level what there watching.

The Elephant Man is a bit apart from the rest of his work, probably more of a preview of what a Lynch who worked within Hollywood more would have done and I do think it stands up very well indeed. Compared to someone like Burton I think Lynch shows a hell of alot more class in that kind of often drama, not turning it into kooky entertainment.

I finally got around to seeing The Elephant Man, thanks to this thread. I'd say it's exceeded Blue Velvet as my favorite Lynch.

Just an emotionally resonant, powerful movie with great performances. Not only that, it was technically terrific. The makeup effects were so impressive that the Oscars had to add a category to make up for the omission. The cinematography was beautiful. Lynch's direction was surehanded.

Some of the scenes- right in the feels

This scene, for instance. Great acting from Hurt- goes without saying. Terrific stuff from Hannah Gordon. But really subtle and nuanced work from Hopkins as well. I think it really speaks to how epic an actor Hopkins is that he can run the gamut in types of characters he plays. From guys so dignified as Treves and his butler character in Remains of the Day to monsters like Hannibal and the antagonist in Fracture. He's consistently terrific.

Just an awesome cast overall. Freddie Jones was very memorable. Wendy Hiller was great, as was Anne Bancroft.

Also- Gielgud like a g...

Last edited:
Meanwhile thousands of people are off making a college level thesis over what that movie REALLY means lmao
Reminds me of the scene from Back To School, where Rodney Dangerfield has to write a paper on Kurt Vonnegut, hires Kurt Vonnegut to write it, and then his professor tells him that the person who wrote the paper doesn't know the first thing about Kurt Vonnegut haha.

Reminds me of the scene from Back To School, where Rodney Dangerfield has to write a paper on Kurt Vonnegut, hires Kurt Vonnegut to write it, and then his professor tells him that the person who wrote the paper doesn't know the first thing about Kurt Vonnegut haha.

haha such a good movie.

Love when Kinison explodes in typical Kinison fashion during the history class.

Rodney: Good professor. He really cares. About what, I have no idea.

I finally got around to seeing The Elephant Man, thanks to this thread. I'd say it's exceeded Blue Velvet as my favorite Lynch.

Just an emotionally resonant, powerful movie with great performances. Not only that, it was technically terrific. The makeup effects were so impressive that the Oscars had to add a category to make up for the omission. The cinematography was beautiful. Lynch's direction was surehanded.

Some of the scenes- right in the feels

This scene, for instance. Great acting from Hurt- goes without saying. Terrific stuff from Hannah Gordon. But really subtle and nuanced work from Hopkins as well. I think it really speaks to how epic an actor Hopkins is that he can run the gamut in types of characters he plays. From guys so dignified as Treves and his butler character in Remains of the Day to monsters like Hannibal and the antagonist in Fracture. He's consistently terrific.

Just an awesome cast overall. Freddie Jones was very memorable. Wendy Hiller was great, as was Anne Bancroft.

Also- Gielgud like a g...

If you can watch it I'd definitely recommend the UHD release, suits the film very well.

It is always nice to see people like Hopkins and Gielgud given the chance to play more subtle roles, typically Hollywood has always tended to push english stage actors towards the larger than life performances which whilst they can be very good often undervalues their range,

It is I think another example of Lynch really bringing his setting and his characters together effectively, the london industrial docklands and the hospital feel like a natural extension of the drama.

I don't believe he's ever said that but he has always been against stating exactly what his intentions were because he thinks it limits what people can get out of the films.

You also have the difference between actual plot elements when you can potentially nail down "ah thats whats happening" and vaguer inferences that are made to other themes.

In Mullholland for example I think the "plot" is that we see the dream fantasy of a failed actress who was rejected by her lover for a director and then hires an assassin to kill her, she wakes up, remembers whats happened and then kills herself.

There are alot of inferences beyond this as well I would say, most obviously I think that the two female characters are actually the same person(hence wearing the wig) and that the story represents her shifting from idealistic hollywood newcomer to jaded actress having to try get to the top via sexual favours.

Last edited:
The first two seasons hold up great, it’s not just nostalgia. Incredible, unique show. The last season is peak Lynch for me though, the culmination of everything he was doing in the series, & his film style all blended together. Certainly not for everybody, but I couldn’t get enough of it.

HJU7emzQHb5RCzITfZQm47LqTXdoONYIZ3ysDtJREUjY71WNeqneiDVhrjW5VBevqud96GtDvzcwkft7fROJCGuWsSNL49QBd2tLZ0ZNK9YwgIOkI1sqH8bQNHxq4iqgYcblXg-N
Twin Perfects analysis reveals everything brilliantly. It’s probably the most profound analysis I’ve ever seen online.
https://i.postimg.cc/JhFwPJYn/126-A1-ACA-C7-E2-461-F-984-D-D8159372586-D.jpg
Cuts right through that ‘It’s stream of consciousness like Finnegans Wake Bro; you can’t deconstruct or dissect Lynch’s art man... type of thought bs:
126-A1-ACA-C7-E2-461-F-984-D-D8159372586-D.jpg

Last edited:
That said, his 3rd season of Twin Peaks — the most recent one, the one made 25 years after the 3rd season — is his masterwork, best thing he’s ever done. Fucking glorious

TBlE1C4.gif

source.gif

Agree 100%. My interest in this season borders on obsession and I have not made it through season 1 or 2 despite a few attempts. I have a hard time even explaining its appeal to other people.

Back