David Cronenberg's The Fly (1986) Discussion

Swift

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I had seen parts of it on television growing up, and although I'm not a fan of graphic horror films, I decided to relent and watch it recently. I was really impressed with it as its more of a character study (albeit a bloody one) than a horror film. It may very well be the best remake I've ever seen.

Any who, I have been thinking about it a lot lately. There was an alternative story line to the Fly II that sounded pretty cool, but they went with something dumb instead. Recently Cronenberg wrote a script for a sequel/remake, but it didn't get made because of some budget issue.

Just Nasty.

giphy.gif

The 80s was a golden age for horror remakes. The Thing is another gem which comes to mind (then again, I also really enjoyed the 2010(?) Thing as well).

That movie fucked me up, man...

Couldn't have picked a better lead. Goldblum looks like a fly without the s/fx.

Supremely underrated. Goldblum is on point in this movie. I don't know of anything I would change. The special effects were on point. The aspergery scientist being more into his transformation than afraid of it is a completely different angle to take. The fact that Goldblum didn't design all the parts of the machine, that he is merely a 'project manager' who sends out design specifications gives way more credibility to the idea of one person doing something scientifically amazing. Now that The Thing has been getting the praise that it really deserved, I think that The Fly now is the most underrated horror movie out there. It did well at the box office but no one really talks about it anymore. Almost like this movie gets smeared by people tired of Goldblum's Jurassic Park schtick.

The 80s was a golden age for horror remakes. The Thing is another gem which comes to mind (then again, I also really enjoyed the 2010(?) Thing as well).

I've heard the remake was pretty good, but I never saw it. Carpenter's remake was really good though.

Supremely underrated. Goldblum is on point in this movie. I don't know of anything I would change. The special effects were on point. The aspergery scientist being more into his transformation than afraid of it is a completely different angle to take. The fact that Goldblum didn't design all the parts of the machine, that he is merely a 'project manager' who sends out design specifications gives way more credibility to the idea of one person doing something scientifically amazing. Now that The Thing has been getting the praise that it really deserved, I think that The Fly now is the most underrated horror movie out there. It did well at the box office but no one really talks about it anymore. Almost like this movie gets smeared by people tired of Goldblum's Jurassic Park schtick.

I think the body horror aspect turned a lot of people off of it too. I don't think some people realize that movies like The Fly, or The Thing are actually critically acclaimed films. The Fly is really about a dying man losing his mind and being alienated from reality. The thing was loathed upon release, but so was Blade Runner (considered one of the greatest films ever).

Todd Lincoln (I think he did one of the VHS movies) planned to do a Fly remake with practical effects. I haven't seen his films, but I'd hazard to guess he wanted to remake it simply for the gore factor.

Check out the Blob from the 80s, great remake
the newer thing was a prequel not a remake since it focused on the norwegian team we see in the thing remake

lot's of people take the fly as a metaphor for a disease like aids or some shit, or even just getting old

but yeah, 80s remakes always blow the original away

One thing I never got was why Brundlefly was such an alpha stud.

Is that a characteristic of flies to have game to bang anything with wings?

Supremely underated. Goldblum
I've heard the remake was pretty good, but I never saw it. Carpenter's remake was really good though.

I think the body horror aspect turned a lot of people off of it too. I don't think some people realize that movies like The Fly, or The Thing are actually critically acclaimed films. The Fly is really about a dying man losing his mind and being alienated from reality. The thing was loathed upon release, but so was Blade Runner (considered one of the greatest films ever).

Todd Lincoln (I think he did one of the VHS movies) planned to do a Fly remake with practical effects. I haven't seen his films, but I'd hazard to guess he wanted to remake it simply for the gore factor.

I have heard the comparison to someone dying with AIDS. Cronenberg when asked has said that he sees the comparison but it wasn't intentional. This was during the 80s so the epidemic can probably be seen in a lot of things just like how cold war themes permeate old monster movies, intentionally or unintentionally. In any case, it is kind of smart for a horror movie.

Never liked it, wish I had a reason other than I found it boring,but that probably says more about me.

Supremely underrated. Goldblum is on point in this movie

He had superb on-screen chemistry with Geena Davis. They had fallen in love at that time and that fresh, passionate infatuation they had for each other was definitely visible in the film.

lot's of people take the fly as a metaphor for a disease like aids or some shit, or even just getting old

I think it has more to do with Cronenberg's personal fascinations. Plenty of his work include some form of gruesome body horror. He is simply fascinated by seeing the human body decay and be mutilated in graphic details. It's rather idiosyncratic too. Plenty of director puts scenes of bodily gruesomeness in their pictures but no one does it quite like Cronenberg does it. Though The Fly is extreme even by his standards.

One thing I never got was why Brundlefly was such an alpha stud.

Is that a characteristic of flies to have game to bang anything with wings?

Idk man, but I always wished they had a 20 minute scene of him impregnating an entire strip club and punching all the men's faces off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back