David Cronenberg's The Fly (1986) Discussion

Cronenberg at his best. One of the rare cases where the remake is better than the original. Love how he chose to draw a parallel with Brundle's transformation & terminal illness. Amazingly demented 80's gem. Special effects are fucking fantastic. Outstanding chemistry between Davis & Goldie.

Cronenberg at his best. One of the rare cases where the remake is better than the original. Love how he chose to draw a parallel with Brundle's transformation & terminal illness. Amazingly demented 80's gem. Special effects are fucking fantastic. Outstanding chemistry between Davis & Goldie.
I would say every remake done in the 80s is better than the original.

I vaguely remembered being traumatized by it as a kid, sitting there watching it with my parents. All I could have told you was that it was a really fucked up, gross movie.

About 6 or 7 years ago it came on tv and I watched it.....and it was a great movie. It was really the reverse dynamic of what usually happens with old movies that I saw when I was a kid, where I usually remember them being great and you go back and watch them and they suck. This one, all I remember was the disgusting effects and it turned out to be a great, underrated movie.

I had this memory of the scene where he breaks the guy's arm while arm-wrestling at the bar, but when I went back and watched it, it was George Chuvalo! Crazy, eh?

KLbmhrD.gif

And for people who haven't seen the movie but are wondering what all this talk about it being so gross and disturbing is about....

giphy.gif
Yeah, a shit ton of that movie was filmed in the Toronto area. That bar scene was somewhere off Yonge street I think. Makes sense George Chuvalo volunteered for a tough guy role in the movie

This is the original epilogue that was removed because the test audience didn't want Veronica to end up with Stathis Borans.

Thanks for posting this. I saw the film as a teenager when it first came out 30 years ago, rare film where I can remember that experience, it was so shocking and disgusting.

That movie fucked me up, man...
Same here, that movie scarred me when I was kid... along with the first Troll movie and Children of the Corn.

Close to the most underrated film ever made.

It deserved a handful of nominations at the 1986 Academy Awards that it never received.

Eastern Promises was fantastic.

As a david cronenberg film it sucked. Now, if someone else made it, then it would have been an ok movie. Basically, DC sold out by making AHOV and EP to get money so he could make the real movies he wanted to, but that changed from his old stuff to boring as fuck dramas.

As a david cronenberg film it sucked. Now, if someone else made it, then it would have been an ok movie. Basically, DC sold out by making AHOV and EP to get money so he could make the real movies he wanted to, but that changed from his old stuff to boring as fuck dramas.

Every artist's style and interests change as they develop their career.

Back