News David Benavidez vs Oleksandr Gvozdyk in June

Yes because I have been so wrong about Benavidez so far...Canelo seems to respect him a lot more than folks around here. You are slowly learning though.

So you just take Eddies word for it? The same person who denied the 45m offer from Benavidez last year which was confirmed by showtime? Living in denial must be fun.
Yeah, I do.

good on Benavidez for not waiting around for something that may not happen. its smart to have a plan B.
but he's not gonna be able to bully as much at LHW. Gvozdyk is no joke, only lost to Beterbiev.
there are other intriguing fights at LHW as well.

It's hard to tell how Benavidez will look at LHW and how much Gvozdyk still has left. Benavidez is used to always having a significant size advantage over his opponents. He won't have that here. He'll also be in with the hardest hitter he's ever faced. Gvozdyk has his own question marks. He's about to turn 37 and hasn't fought a top guy since Beterbiev wrecked him. That was over 4 years ago. I do think that Gvozdyk will really test him though. Probably even knock him on his ass.
Gvozdyk isn't going to be the nail in this one. You are in for a shock it seems.

He doesn’t get it. Canelos short and David’s big, and that made THAT fight interesting. David’s team may have made a mistake here. If Gvozdyk has any of his old self, this is kinda like walking into a wood chipper. I’d take pre Gvozdyk Adonis Stevenson over Benavidez in a heart beat, the version of Nail that did that to Superman would send David back to super middleweight so fast it kinda hilarious. Losing to Beterbiev is not a mark of shame or a real tell of a fighters heart or chin. Beters a wall.

All great points. Going from soft touches to Benavidez is a massive jump. I hope he's healthy and doing this for the right reasons.
Beterbiev broke him but that was back in late 2019. Gvozdyk retired for a few years and came back last year. He's beaten a few soft touches since. Gvozdyk hasn't been in with a world level opponent since then. That's the concern. He's also getting up there in age. He'll be 37 soon.

On the other hand we've never seen how Benavidez looks at light heavyweight. Gvozdyk will be the biggest guy he's ever been in there with and by far the hardest hitter.

Big step up for Benavidez honestly. Gvozdyk will be to him what Bivol was to Canelo.

This isn't the same Gvozdyk as pre-Beterbiev though. This Gvozdyk took a career-altering beating vs Biev, and then took over three years off before returning to the ring, and even though he's looked good since returning, Bolotniks is not Benavidez.

Benavidez breaks down Gvozdyk within 6 rounds, and depending on how badly it goes he may retire again afterwards. Hopefully Gvozdyk doesn't get too hurt.

This isn't the same Gvozdyk as pre-Beterbiev though. This Gvozdyk took a career-altering beating vs Biev, and then took over three years off before returning to the ring, and even though he's looked good since returning, Bolotniks is not Benavidez.

Benavidez breaks down Gvozdyk within 6 rounds, and depending on how badly it goes he may retire again afterwards. Hopefully Gvozdyk doesn't get too hurt.
His loss wasn’t any worse looking than Yardes and Yarde is fine. Gzovdyk was actually winning on the cards believe it or not. It’s more like David isnt Beter, and if Nail gives a fuck again then he’s done all the rest and psychological rehab needed even stepping back into the game to begin with. 36 going on 37 ain’t the worst place to be either, if this isn’t just a man selling his name for a last paycheck or two, okay then… BUT a man went tooth and nail with the Dog and Plant isn’t gonna walk through the man who retired Stevenson, a dangerous man who’s sneaky left would have ended Benavidez easy and early imo.

His loss wasn’t any worse looking than Yardes and Yarde is fine. Gzovdyk was actually winning on the cards believe it or not. It’s more like David isnt Beter, and if Nail gives a fuck again then he’s done all the rest and psychological rehab needed even stepping back into the game to begin with. 36 going on 37 ain’t the worst place to be either, if this isn’t just a man selling his name for a last paycheck or two, okay then… BUT a man went tooth and nail with the Dog and Plant isn’t gonna walk through the man who retired Stevenson, a dangerous man who’s sneaky left would have ended Benavidez easy and early imo.

We'll see. To me Gvozdyk is a shadow of his pre-Biev self and he's been fighting guys nowhere near the level he needs to prepare for Benavidez since his return. It may look even for a couple of rounds, but Gvozdyk is gonna get finished due to accumulation of damage.

This is not the Gvozdyk that retired Stevenson, that guy is long gone.

I think they are putting the tentpole events out there… 4 of them …. And now we can expect the smaller show announced
Right on! I've been so excited about this deal for months but I need some more details! Much appreciated.

We'll see. To me Gvozdyk is a shadow of his pre-Biev self and he's been fighting guys nowhere near the level he needs to prepare for Benavidez since his return. It may look even for a couple of rounds, but Gvozdyk is gonna get finished due to accumulation of damage.

This is not the Gvozdyk that retired Stevenson, that guy is long gone.

So the excuses have started. Canelos best win was a 36 year old, but apparently 37 means you are totally shot even if you have only had 21 pro fights. Hilarious.

He doesn’t get it. Canelos short and David’s big, and that made THAT fight interesting. David’s team may have made a mistake here. If Gvozdyk has any of his old self, this is kinda like walking into a wood chipper. I’d take pre Gvozdyk Adonis Stevenson over Benavidez in a heart beat, the version of Nail that did that to Superman would send David back to super middleweight so fast it kinda hilarious. Losing to Beterbiev is not a mark of shame or a real tell of a fighters heart or chin. Beters a wall.
I'm with you on that. Pre-Beterbiev Gvozdyk KOs Benavidez. It's just this version of him that I'm not certain of. We'll have to see where he's at. Four years is a long time to not be in with a top fighter. I still think he'll challenge Benavidez plenty due to his size and power. The guys Benavidez has been beating up have been smaller and weaker.

So the excuses have started. Canelos best win was a 36 year old, but apparently 37 means you are totally shot even if you have only had 21 pro fights. Hilarious.
Did Golovkin retire for several years after being physically and psychologically broken, come back, and prepare for Canelo by fighting a few soft touches? The reality is that nobody knows where Gvozdyk is at mentally or physically today because he hasn't fought a world rated fighter since 2019. Look at his three comeback fights. He last fought a Brazilian journeyman.

How is me telling the truth an excuse? Gvozdyk retired Stevenson in 2018, and then got himself retired by Biev in 2019. He left boxing to pursue a completely different career, and now after three years he's returned and looked... good? He's faced two plebs and Bolotniks, who like i said is not on Benavidez's level. What do you want me to say? That Gvozdyk is the same guy who beat Stevenson? He isn't. It's like that time when i told you Lemi was waaaay past his best days and you were insistent that he was in his prime... Lemi retired days after losing that fight to Benavidez.

I don't have to glorify someone who is past it just to appease you. Benavidez should win handily, but i don't know what to tell you if you think Gvozdyk is still in his prime.

Also, seen as you've never grasped this in all the years i've seen you post, i'll say it again... the prime years of a boxer are not the same for everyone. Someone who is 39 could be in their prime while someone who is 32 could be past their prime. It all depends on the accumulation of damage taken in the ring, injuries, lifestyle choices, and many more factors that can lengthen or shorten not only a fighter's career but his prime years too. Murat Gassiev is 30 years old and during covid he said that his best years are behind him... yes, you heard it, 30 years and he's past his prime, ring the alarms, it can't be true.

Did Golovkin retire for several years after being physically and psychologically broken, come back, and prepare for Canelo by fighting a few soft touches? The reality is that nobody knows where Gvozdyk is at mentally or physically today because he hasn't fought a world rated fighter since 2019. Look at his three comeback fights. He last fought a Brazilian journeyman.

If you don't know his state why are you claiming he is mentally and psychologically broken? lol. He just had 3 fights last year how do you know he is not mentally better than ever before?
How is me telling the truth an excuse? Gvozdyk retired Stevenson in 2018, and then got himself retired by Biev in 2019. He left boxing to pursue a completely different career, and now after three years he's returned and looked... good? He's faced two plebs and Bolotniks, who like i said is not on Benavidez's level. What do you want me to say? That Gvozdyk is the same guy who beat Stevenson? He isn't. It's like that time when i told you Lemi was waaaay past his best days and you were insistent that he was in his prime... Lemi retired days after losing that fight to Benavidez.

Explain how it is truth that Gvozdyk is a shadow of his former self. Because he got TK'd 4 years ago? He took some time off, and came back fresh and is active. Even if the opponents he fought were not amazing where is your evidence is a shadow of his former self? You are just making up crap as usual and creating narratives. Just like you said Lemiuex was shot, just because David destroyed him. Gvozdyk might not be at his absolute peak but I have seen no evidence is shot. He has only had 21 pro fights and taken damage in 1 fight only, 4 years ago, there is no reason for him to be shot.

Do I need to remind you the only reason we are even having this convo is because Canelo the guy you claimed would beat up Benavidez is too scared to even fight him. lol

If you don't know his state why are you claiming he is mentally and psychologically broken? lol. He just had 3 fights last year how do you know he is not mentally better than ever before?
He demonstrably was psychologically broken which is why he initially retired so early into his pro career. Even Teddy Atlas, his trainer at the time, agrees.

Like I said, we don't know where he's at mentally or physically today. There's only one way to find out and that's for him to fight a top fighter so that we can assess the current version. The last time he did that was in 2019. We've only seen him go 6 rounds against scrubs since he came back. He's been fighting 6, 8, and 10 rounders. Not in 12 round championship fights against elite operators.

Benavidez has to fight other top level guys if he wants to sell his narrative of Canelo ducking him....Plant was a great win. Booboo was not relevant, was undersized,and had been protected for years.

Hes honestly throwing away his prime if he waits for Canelo any further. A Canelo that has shown NO interest in fighting David.

I would think a Morrell fight would make more sense while still keeping Benavidez sharp but testing him substantially without the danger of going up against a high risk low reward bigger fighter. Or even just showcase stay busy fights with guys like Jamie or Belanger. Those would sell well with 2 bigger names & draws David would be favored against. But I bet none of those names move an inch until they for sure know they are out of the Canelo sweepstakes.

Canelo fighting Jermall has kind of been ruined by Jermall's battles out of the ring & his inactivity for years. If David goes on to try & fight the Bivol Biev winner, that would be totally bad ass. If he somehow emerges victorious & Canelo comes calling I hope he shuts the door on him.

Explain how it is truth that Gvozdyk is a shadow of his former self. Because he got TK'd 4 years ago? He took some time off, and came back fresh and is active. Even if the opponents he fought were not amazing where is your evidence is a shadow of his former self? You are just making up crap as usual and creating narratives. Just like you said Lemiuex was shot, just because David destroyed him. Gvozdyk might not be at his absolute peak but I have seen no evidence is shot. He has only had 21 pro fights and taken damage in 1 fight only, 4 years ago, there is no reason for him to be shot.

Do I need to remind you the only reason we are even having this convo is because Canelo the guy you claimed would beat up Benavidez is too scared to even fight him. lol

Because i can actually see differences in a boxer's technique and how they move when they've been out of the ring a while, if you can't do the same then that's on you. It's not excuses, it's just facts that Gvozdyk isn't what he once was, no matter how much you'd like to believe Benavidez is about to beat a prime Gvozdyk. It'll still be his best win in my opinion and it'll set him up to fight Biev or Bivol as long as they fight as expected. If Benavidez crushes Gvozdyk which i think he will, and then fights one of those two, you won't hear anything about them being post-prime from me, that's a guarantee. Hold me to that.

Nope, Lemi wasn't shot because Benavidez beat him. He had been fighting nobodies for years in a division he didn't belong, then cashed out and retired. He was far past his best years, as i explained at the time.

On this point i agree with you. Canelo, now that everyone else has been beaten, has no excuse/reason to not fight Benavidez and obviously has no intention of taking the risk that comes with fighting Benavidez, or even Morrell. It's most likely that Canelo is gonna go after someone we all know he can beat like Berlanga.

Because i can actually see differences in a boxer's technique and how they move when they've been out of the ring a while, if you can't do the same then that's on you. It's not excuses, it's just facts that Gvozdyk isn't what he once was, no matter how much you'd like to believe Benavidez is about to beat a prime Gvozdyk. It'll still be his best win in my opinion and it'll set him up to fight Biev or Bivol as long as they fight as expected. If Benavidez crushes Gvozdyk which i think he will, and then fights one of those two, you won't hear anything about them being post-prime from me, that's a guarantee. Hold me to that.

Nope, Lemi wasn't shot because Benavidez beat him. He had been fighting nobodies for years in a division he didn't belong, then cashed out and retired. He was far past his best years, as i explained at the time.

On this point i agree with you. Canelo, now that everyone else has been beaten, has no excuse/reason to not fight Benavidez and obviously has no intention of taking the risk that comes with fighting Benavidez, or even Morrell. It's most likely that Canelo is gonna go after someone we all know he can beat like Berlanga.
The most obvious thing I've noticed about Gvozdyk since coming back is that he's not as mobile anymore. He's more static now but is still able to move when necessary. It could be due to his age, not having used his legs like that in a while, or maybe it's deliberate.

I found a direct quote from Teddy after Artur took Gvozdyk's soul. Remember this was his trainer at the time and his professional opinion @Roids.
“Beterbiev knew how to break us, and he broke us. He broke us physically and mentally.”
Teddy Atlas: ‘Beterbiev broke Gvozdyk and me, and I take responsibility for this’

Worried about Gvozdyk in this one. Already took a beating from Beterbiev. Dude is talented, but I hope he's not just doing this for the $.
if gvozdyk hadn't been out for several years and pushing 37, i'd bet everything i own that he puts benavidez into the fucking ground.

gvozdyk is a special fighter, his only issue is that he was in his prime in the same era as beterbiev. if not for artur, he would've ruled LHW with an iron fist.

Back