Dave Camarillo shows judo moves

Given the fact the moves/video is planned/scripted why does he take like/almost a fake step on many of the throws he does it @ .31 its a large step in with his right foot, or is this just part of the foot work?

It is part of the setup. You get your opponent walking in a pattern, then you use it to help your kuzushi by breaking his pattern.

Damn, his throws to submissions at the end of the vid, were VERY nice. Just when I think I am learning something, I see things like this and realize I suck.

I'll hopefully be training under Dan Camarillo within the next year.

Judo + BJJ FTW!

Judo is awesome! without a doubt my pick over JJ when starting at an early age!

Great for work ethic and general attitude towards life!

Nice vid...

Can't waitt for Guerilla Par 2! Hope there's some Harai/Uchimata no-gi in there!

Judo is awesome! without a doubt my pick over JJ when starting at an early age!

Well, I don't think JJ or Judo are different at an early age. Honestly I don't see a difference even for adult white belts. They just end up being a different set of rules, nothing more. It is like saying freestyle is your pick over folkstyle when starting at an early age. A lot of Olympic wrestlers agree with that, but they are biased of course - that's what they practice. Without a doubt good, my pick is either wrestling, judo, or jj when starting at an early age. Even a JKD place could be better than them. Mostly it depends on the instructors and the enviornment.

I disagree. At best they are the same because they both wear a uniform. But it ends there. And the main reason? It lies in both philosophy and technical focus.

I just wrote more on the, "Training Judo and BJJ" thread.

The philosophy:
BJJ: 1) If you run into an obstacle, go around it. 2) Take advantage of opportunity when it presents itself.
Judo: 1) Disallow obstacles by fluid movement. 2) Create your opportunity.

Judo focus: Tachi Waza (Standing throwing)
JJ focus: Ne-waza (ground positioning)

I disagree. At best they are the same because they both wear a uniform. But it ends there. And the main reason? It lies in both philosophy and technical focus.

The philosophy:
BJJ: 1) If you run into an obstacle, go around it. 2) Take advantage of opportunity when it presents itself.

Judo focus: Tachi Waza
JJ focus: Ne-waza

Amen to that!

Didnt look like his partner was resisting that much in the beginning.

Well, I don't think JJ or Judo are different at an early age. Honestly I don't see a difference even for adult white belts. They just end up being a different set of rules, nothing more. It is like saying freestyle is your pick over folkstyle when starting at an early age. A lot of Olympic wrestlers agree with that, but they are biased of course - that's what they practice. Without a doubt good, my pick is either wrestling, judo, or jj when starting at an early age. Even a JKD place could be better than them. Mostly it depends on the instructors and the enviornment.

As a kid/teenager you are more able to take the abuse that judo brings, and frankly kids shouldn't be allowed to lock and choke

The balance you develop in judo is with you for the rest of you life. and jsut like langauge you become more fluent in it if you start at an early age

'without trainign in BJJ I throw this out, judo has a steeper learning curve

I know BJ Penn is insanly talented but I have never heard of a judoka winning the olympics after training 3 years

The Osotogari tomoenage combo is a very nice combo

The Osotogari tomoenage combo is a very nice combo

The philosophy:

Judo focus: Tachi Waza (Standing throwing)
JJ focus: Ne-waza (ground positioning)

Very true. I tell people, and specifically beginners, in my Judo class that there is more to Judo than the techniques involved. I can show you seoi nage, but if you apply it without the philosophy of Judo backing it up, you're not really practicing Judo.

Just because you can punch does not mean you are a boxer.

Back