Dash cameras, who has one, what do you have?

I bought a Uniden Cam250 for $40.00 on Woot awhile back. I put in a 32gb card and I'm satisfied with it.

"Offers a clear view. An electronic viewfinder helps you set up your shots.
1080p Full HD recording at 30 fps (frames per second)

Lets you capture realistic video footage from your vehicle. Also allows loop recording.
140° viewing angle

Enables you to capture a wide area.
G-sensor"
This is the night image capture of your cam. Its very dark

It's not that dark to me, but I just got it to CMOA.
Im good friends with my broker and she told me they company denies a lot of cam footage because it wasnt clear enough to absolutely link that footage to the accident youre reporting. They want to see clear street signs clear plates and clear visuals of what happened where and when. Even a small amount of doubt means that the other side can fight against accepting absolute fault. So if its for insurance claim protection you need good image quality and good night resolution or having a dash camera wont protect you as well as you might think.

Im good friends with my broker and she told me they company denies a lot of cam footage because it wasnt clear enough to absolutely link that footage to the accident youre reporting. They want to see clear street signs clear plates and clear visuals of what happened where and when. Even a small amount of doubt means that the other side can fight against accepting absolute fault. So if its for insurance claim protection you need good image quality and good night resolution or having a dash camera wont protect you as well as you might think.

Oh no, it's not for that.

I'm Black so that way if the cops scream "He's got a gun!" people will see that I don't have one. I don't own one anyway, but I'm looking to buy an AK-47 for home defense. Like I said, it's to CMOA. My answers will always be "Yes, sir, No sir. Yes, Ma'am No Ma'am." It records the audio to so I'm covered.

Plus, I don't go out at night because of the stated reason.

I guess I could do with an upgrade though. Better prepared than shot in the head for "non-compliance."

I might get that Rexing one up top.

Last edited:
$200

I have dod when you go any lower in price the reviews complain about low light and night imaging issues that wont clearly show the scene and who is at fault. My model i can clearly read licence plates of vehicles in front of me and the picture quality is very good so that lights and traffic signs are clearly visible from a distance. It will also record when the car is off kind of like a security cam for your car but you can disable that feature if you park in a garage or safe place. It also has a photo zoom feature so you can take still photos of the accident or zoom into a plate as well it shows gps and location quardinates which are all important for insurance claims because what the other side might do is deny the footage is from that exact location and suggest it was from a previous collision.

Dash camera will only show one view. To protect against front and back end claims you would need two cameras. I would invest in a good one up front and a lesser one in back if money is issue.

I can upload video quality if you would like to see.

One issue with suction mounting cameras is that they are clearly visible to theives. So if you are street parking or there is auto contents theft where you leave your car its best to detach from mount and take the camera. Thing is though thats kind of a pain to do.
Any advice on the rear-view camera? I'm liking that DOD cam you mentioned for the front

Any advice on the rear-view camera? I'm liking that DOD cam you mentioned for the front
This is a very good and thorough video of the functionality and image quality of the dod 460.

He covers basically everything. I forgot to mention that it also has a speed sensor so you can have your speed recorded in the video to show that you were not speeding or the other guy was but just like voice recording and standby recording you can disable these. It has a capability to use 64g micro sd, it says 32 but dod has a link which enables you to expand to up to a 64 but you have to use a good quality card like Samsung. Cheap cards such as sandisk wont work and cause the camera to malfunction. Dod has a list of the specific cards that you can use with their cameras.

I run the 470 up front and the 460 out back so i dont have a personal recommendation that ive used first hand for a cheaper rear camera. I can say that the 460 is a great camera and i highly recommend it. I had that one first and aquired the 470 later, both great but 460 is more than suitable to do the job.

I just hold up my iphone camera while I'm driving

This is a very good and thorough video of the functionality and image quality of the dod 460.

He covers basically everything. I forgot to mention that it also has a speed sensor so you can have your speed recorded in the video to show that you were not speeding or the other guy was but just like voice recording and standby recording you can disable these. It has a capability to use 64g micro sd, it says 32 but dod has a link which enables you to expand to up to a 64 but you have to use a good quality card like Samsung. Cheap cards such as sandisk wont work and cause the camera to malfunction. Dod has a list of the specific cards that you can use with their cameras.

I run the 470 up front and the 460 out back so i dont have a personal recommendation that ive used first hand for a cheaper rear camera. I can say that the 460 is a great camera and i highly recommend it. I had that one first and aquired the 470 later, both great but 460 is more than suitable to do the job.

It's strange that the 60 reviews of the DOD LS470W on Amazon average 3.5/5 with 66% rating it 4/5.

The best selling Rexing has an average rating of 4.3/5 with 63% rating it 5/5 of it's 3291 reviews.

Most of the complaints on the DOD involve having to change the format of the 64GB SD cards. Apparently the unit can't format the cards so it has to be done on a computer. DOD apparently sells formatted cards.

Another complaint is the polarizing filter causing some problems in vehicles with tinted windows.

Some don't like the larger size that was needed to get the lens system to fit.

It seems to me that all companies should be making equipment that can take advantage of the larger memory capacity available and include at least some memory with the product. A 32 GB is about $10 now.

The biggest complaint with almost any camera seems to be poor instructions included with them.

It's strange that the 60 reviews of the DOD LS470W on Amazon average 3.5/5 with 66% rating it 4/5.

The best selling Rexing has an average rating of 4.3/5 with 63% rating it 5/5 of it's 3291 reviews.

Most of the complaints on the DOD involve having to change the format of the 64GB SD cards. Apparently the unit can't format the cards so it has to be done on a computer. DOD apparently sells formatted cards.

Another complaint is the polarizing filter causing some problems in vehicles with tinted windows.

Some don't like the larger size that was needed to get the lens system to fit.

It seems to me that all companies should be making equipment that can take advantage of the larger memory capacity available and include at least some memory with the product. A 32 GB is about $10 now.

The biggest complaint with almost any camera seems to be poor instructions included with them.
The dod is three times the price but the rexing doesnt even come close in image quality. People will generally be happier with a cheaper product that meets their expectations versus an expensive product they dont know if they need all the capacities it comes with. Even the cards for the dod cameras have to be a Samsung grade or they wont work. For instance when i bought the 460 i read reviews where people were complaining that it had gps. They were like " i already have gps, i dont need my dash cam to have one. But thats how they squeeze you for more money" and things along that line of stupidity. The gps is not a traditional where do you want to go gps. Its the latitude and longitude of your exact location so that it will be time stamped onto the film so that there is no question about where the footage is taking place.

I dont have tinted windows so thats not really an issue with me although i dont see how the rexing with a poorer lens would fair any better in that regard.

Formatting the card is easy and the rexing doesnt even offer close to the standard 32g that dods come factory ready for. I think this is generally a complaint by people with little to no computer knowledge because it takes a minute max to format a 64g. The unit only comes 32g equipped factory. As one reviewer said and sums up nicely

"Great! Format you 64 gig card correctly and follow the instructions. People are giving poor reviews on SD cards because they can't follow simple directions."

People complaining you can tell they are very computer illiterate. You have one clown giving it a one star because his lexar and sandisk card wont read. It says in very clear language on the dod site that those cards wont work.

But still what you wont see is people saying the rexing image quality compares and thats because it doesnt. But value is important to people and a lot of people dont realize the value of precise image quality until they actually need it. Ask your broker how much film evidence thats deemed inadmissable or inconclusive and you might then decide to shell out the extra 100~200 and consider it worth it.

Last edited:
Back