Dash cameras, who has one, what do you have?

EvilDDS

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Need to buy one as a Christmas gift. Was looking at the bestbuy site, and there are so many, ranging in price from $80ish to $400 dollar range.

I realize that some have better pictures, more memory etc. but just curious who has a camera, and are you happy with what you have and what you paid?

Gf was rear-ended recently (yeah, yeah I know) and the driver of the other car tried to tell her insurance that my gf backed into her car. Gf was trying to be nice and avoid getting insurance involved, this lady had all the sob stories. She kept trying to get the gf to visit her "friend" who owns a bodyshop but my gf wouldn't comply so then she changed her story. My gf had a bunch of text messages saved from this girl so it all worked out.

Anyway, dashcam stories? What is a good reliable cam?

Got this one over the summer for $99, after having some near misses with idiots on the FDR drive.

Rexing V1 2.4

Records in full HD, excellent picture during the day, not as good at night but still decent. Its smaller than it looks in the picture... easily hidden by mounting it in front of your rear view mirror if you want it to be discrete. Automatically overwrites the oldest videos, so you just basically set it and forget it. I don't use the cigarette lighter cable, and instead I have mine hard wired into one of my cars's fuses on the side of the dash with one of these

There's better ones out there, but probably not at the $99 price range

These days everyone should have a dash cam considering how cheap they are IMO.

What a co-inky-dink. I also have the 'Rexing V1 2.4" LCD FHD 1080p 170 Wide Angle Dashboard Camera Recorder Car Dash Cam with G-Sensor, WDR, Loop Recording'.

So far - so good. It's set right behind my rear view mirror (out of my normal line of sight) and I run my power cord to it through the area of the passenger side visor trim, behind the glove box and into the center console storage which has a 12v outlet.

Pretty much forget the thing is there. Only downloaded a couple of videos of asshole road-ragers.

Got this one over the summer for $99, after having some near misses with idiots on the FDR drive.

Rexing V1 2.4

Records in full HD, excellent picture during the day, not as good at night but still decent. Its smaller than it looks in the picture... easily hidden by mounting it in front of your rear view mirror if you want it to be discrete. Automatically overwrites the oldest videos, so you just basically set it and forget it. I don't use the cigarette lighter cable, and instead I have mine hard wired into one of my cars's fuses on the side of the dash with one of these

There's better ones out there, but probably not at the $99 price range

These days everyone should have a dash cam considering how cheap they are IMO.

What a co-inky-dink. I also have the 'Rexing V1 2.4" LCD FHD 1080p 170 Wide Angle Dashboard Camera Recorder Car Dash Cam with G-Sensor, WDR, Loop Recording'.

So far - so good. It's set right behind my rear view mirror (out of my normal line of sight) and I run my power cord to it through the area of the passenger side visor trim, behind the glove box and into the center console storage which has a 12v outlet.

Pretty much forget the thing is there. Only downloaded a couple of videos of asshole road-ragers.

Thanks for the input. And agree, I think everyone should get one, just to cover your ass if something happens

I wouldn't want one because the shenanigans I pull would be captured on tape!

$200

I have dod when you go any lower in price the reviews complain about low light and night imaging issues that wont clearly show the scene and who is at fault. My model i can clearly read licence plates of vehicles in front of me and the picture quality is very good so that lights and traffic signs are clearly visible from a distance. It will also record when the car is off kind of like a security cam for your car but you can disable that feature if you park in a garage or safe place. It also has a photo zoom feature so you can take still photos of the accident or zoom into a plate as well it shows gps and location quardinates which are all important for insurance claims because what the other side might do is deny the footage is from that exact location and suggest it was from a previous collision.

Dash camera will only show one view. To protect against front and back end claims you would need two cameras. I would invest in a good one up front and a lesser one in back if money is issue.

I can upload video quality if you would like to see.

One issue with suction mounting cameras is that they are clearly visible to theives. So if you are street parking or there is auto contents theft where you leave your car its best to detach from mount and take the camera. Thing is though thats kind of a pain to do.

Last edited:
I wouldn't want one because the shenanigans I pull would be captured on tape!
The video capture is is spliced into 2-3-4-5 etc. Minute captures so that you can take only the relevant footage from the camera and people wont see you driving for long periods of time.

You actually need 2. One in front and one in back. Also a backup camera. Auto manufacturers already have some backup cameras available and I expect they will start offering traffic cameras soon. I also expect insurance companies will require them. Some already do require them in commercial vehicles. Some cameras watch both the road ahead and the driver.

I have 4 different ones that I've had for several years and I don't recall the brands. With the micro SD cards, they can make small cameras that record over and over just saving the last series. It could be hours or minutes.

That Rexing with the 64 GB card on Amazon for $123 looks good and has many good reviews but also some bad ones. Over 3000 reviews and over 80% are 4 or 5 stars. There is also a hard wire kit available for $10.

EDIT: I also see that the same camera is available on Amazon with the rear camera for $30 more.

Last edited:
Here is mine. 1080p and does sound and all that jazz. Only like 50 bucks on Amazon. Completely happy with it.
2wfjrxg.jpg

Don't forget to check your state laws. Some prohibit their use

$200

I have dod when you go any lower in price the reviews complain about low light and night imaging issues that wont clearly show the scene and who is at fault. My model i can clearly read licence plates of vehicles in front of me and the picture quality is very good so that lights and traffic signs are clearly visible from a distance. It will also record when the car is off kind of like a security cam for your car but you can disable that feature if you park in a garage or safe place. It also has a photo zoom feature so you can take still photos of the accident or zoom into a plate as well it shows gps and location quardinates which are all important for insurance claims because what the other side might do is deny the footage is from that exact location and suggest it was from a previous collision.

Dash camera will only show one view. To protect against front and back end claims you would need two cameras. I would invest in a good one up front and a lesser one in back if money is issue.

I can upload video quality if you would like to see.

One issue with suction mounting cameras is that they are clearly visible to theives. So if you are street parking or there is auto contents theft where you leave your car its best to detach from mount and take the camera. Thing is though thats kind of a pain to do.
I saw this brand on Bestbuy, it had good reviews for the $200 model. And you say the video quality is good for night as well

You actually need 2. One in front and one in back. Also a backup camera. Auto manufacturers already have some backup cameras available and I expect they will start offering traffic cameras soon. I also expect insurance companies will require them. Some already do require them in commercial vehicles. Some cameras watch both the road ahead and the driver.

I have 4 different ones that I've had for several years and I don't recall the brands. With the micro SD cards, they can make small cameras that record over and over just saving the last series. It could be hours or minutes.

That Rexing with the 64 GB card on Amazon for $123 looks good and has many good reviews but also some bad ones. Over 3000 reviews and over 80% are 4 or 5 stars. There is also a hard wire kit available for $10.

EDIT: I also see that the same camera is available on Amazon with the rear camera for $30 more.
Yeah, I guess a rear one would be a good idea too.

I always just figured if you got hit from behind that you could just show the front camera footage that you weren't moving at the time of impact, and then maybe see a lurch forward as you're hit. But it's not the same as actually catching the vehicle hitting you with clear footage

I saw this brand on Bestbuy, it had good reviews for the $200 model. And you say the video quality is good for night as well
It was one of the few dashcams that has excellent night footage. Even at night the picture is crisp and you can easily read the licence plates. A lot of cams have trouble with clear licence plates even in day light. But you have to stay 460 model or more. I saw the resolution in the 360 camera and it was not nearly as good.

Compare to the 99 dollar dashcam referenced above. The picture quality is no contest. Note less light glare, you can read plates and road signs clearly from the dod and not clear from the cheaper one. All these are important to prove accident claims. Its wroth getting the dod up front and maybe the cheaper one at back.

Last edited:
I've had my eye on the Garmin Nuvicam for awhile.

I don't like using my phone for GPS and I've had Garmins for several years. I drive a lot for work, so having a dashcam would be a nice investment in case something happened with the shitty drivers around here.

It's about $300 now, so I'm holding out for a price drop.

Anyone use one of these?

Need to buy one as a Christmas gift. Was looking at the bestbuy site, and there are so many, ranging in price from $80ish to $400 dollar range.

I realize that some have better pictures, more memory etc. but just curious who has a camera, and are you happy with what you have and what you paid?

Gf was rear-ended recently (yeah, yeah I know) and the driver of the other car tried to tell her insurance that my gf backed into her car. Gf was trying to be nice and avoid getting insurance involved, this lady had all the sob stories. She kept trying to get the gf to visit her "friend" who owns a bodyshop but my gf wouldn't comply so then she changed her story. My gf had a bunch of text messages saved from this girl so it all worked out.

Anyway, dashcam stories? What is a good reliable cam?
Great gift idea - thank you and thank you Sherdog!

I bought a Uniden Cam250 for $40.00 on Woot awhile back. I put in a 32gb card and I'm satisfied with it.

"Offers a clear view. An electronic viewfinder helps you set up your shots.
1080p Full HD recording at 30 fps (frames per second)

Lets you capture realistic video footage from your vehicle. Also allows loop recording.
140° viewing angle

Enables you to capture a wide area.
G-sensor"

Bestbuy regularly price drops these at $40 less on sale. You will need a samsung micro sd card for it too.

Back