• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Darren Rovell on Amanda Nunes beating Ronda Rousey and Cyborg: Brutally damaging to UFC.

Is Amanda Nunes beating Ronda Rousey and Cyborg brutally damaging to UFC?

• Total voters
I love how people will say a fighter is "not a draw" as if that is their fucking fault or responsibility.

I mean, what the fuck is the job of a PROMOTER if its on the fighter to draw the crowd?
You cant make people like somebody. That has to happen on its own,and the ufc enhances it,puts their weight behind it. People dont care that much about nunes,because despite her violent fighting style,she isnt a compelling person and doesnt care about putting herself out there like that either. She simply wants to be paid to fight. Theres nothing the UFC could have done to make Demtrious Johnson draw Conor money. People dont care enough. Cant make them care.

You cant make people like somebody. That has to happen on its own,and the ufc enhances it,puts their weight behind it. People dont care that much about nunes,because despite her violent fighting style,she isnt a compelling person and doesnt care about putting herself out there like that either. She simply wants to be paid to fight. Theres nothing the UFC could have done to make Demtrious Johnson draw Conor money. People dont care enough. Cant make them care.

Of course you cant just turn anyone into Conor (who largely does that on his own, it aint got shit to do with UFC) but the UFC in general has no idea what to do with people who are not Conor and dont do most of the heavy lifting themselves when it comes to marketing. If the only angle you know how to work is trash talking bullshit then again, you suck as a promoter.

If people truly dont care about anyone other than the Conor's of MMA no matter what, then the UFC is fucked. I dont think thats true though. I think the UFC just has no idea what to do with the non conor's.

How is being the best fighter in an organization called ultimate fighting championship damaging to the organization? Fuck that, they're just going after the wrong public if knocking people the fuck out isn't being the right kind of fighter.
Might aswell hire a Kardashian.

Of course you cant just turn anyone into Conor (who largely does that on his own, it aint got shit to do with UFC) but the UFC in general has no idea what to do with people who are not Conor and dont do most of the heavy lifting themselves when it comes to marketing. If the only angle you know how to work is trash talking bullshit then again, you suck as a promoter.

If people truly dont care about anyone other than the Conor's of MMA no matter what, then the UFC is fucked. I dont think thats true though. I think the UFC just has no idea what to do with the non conor's.
They care about other fighters,its just that some fighters are just not compelling regardless of their skill level,they dont connect with the public,and maybe they never will. Not everyones cut out for that.

Holly Holm didn't become a superstar with tons of movie roles after wrecking Ronda like nothing. I doubt Nunes will get big either since UFC's Hype Machine won't be deployed to hype her.

cleaned out? of the top 3 she has only fought 1 one of them.. there's Vieira, Holm, Ladd.. nop.

Who is dropping $50 on a ppv to watch those 3 women fight anyone.

giphy.gif

So what? This is the fight business, not the WWE. The best fighter should be on top of the hill regardless of how well they sell

Their fight was a hundred times more entertaining than the main event. I know a lot of people like this event but to me it was boring as shit.....except for this fight. I was banging on a table with two hands and screaming like a howler monkey at the finish......25 years of watching mma so it takes a lot to get that reaction from me.

Who is dropping $50 on a ppv to watch those 3 women fight anyone.
That's not how PPV works. There are 10 fighters on the main card.
Nunes vs. one of them can be a headliner in a PPV card in Brazil, you just have to stack the card with solid fights.
If it's a big PPV Nunes vs. one of them can very well be the 2nd title fight too.

I don't think former ESPN sports business reporter & business correspondent Darren Rovell is giving Amanda Nunes her proper due for being one of the all time greats and not giving Holly Holm credit for beating Ronda Rousey first. The UFC couldn't protect Ronda forever.

Was Cyborg ever close to prime Ronda Rousey in terms of business and marketing for the UFC? I don't think so. What are your thoughts on this?

096_Cris_Cyborg_x_Amanda_Nunes.0.jpg

He's an idiot. having that freakshow manborg in the ufc was very damaging for mma in general.

It's basically on the UFC to market her. I barely knew who Khabib was before he fought Conor and I've been watching this sport for years.

I think if Nunes didnt KTFO Rousey someone else would have. She just didnt have it anymore. Still,Nunes proved to be the worst person for her to be in there with haha.

<DisgustingHHH>

Fuck this guy. If he wants stuff that actually hurts the UFC, he should look at Conor and Jones' bullshit.

It's only "brutally damaging" when the big star who loses puts a pillow over their face and disappears completely like Rousey did. Cyborg did the post fight media and will be back. Conor has done post fight media after losses and been back. It's only a big blow to the company when the person losing mentally crumbles and decides not to fight anymore.

This is where the sport element of MMA clashes with the Pro Wrasslin mindset of 'what's good for the the UFC' 'but are they a draw? quick Vince McDana put the belt on someone else' huh.
Always found it kinda lame talk.

Yes Nunes bearing Rousey/Holm/Tate wasn’t good for business at that moment as they were (and are) far more popular than she is. Nunes bearing Cyborg didn’t have much of an impact though as it’s in a pointless division with no legit talent except Cyborg.

Back