Dark Side of Fighting : Amateur Fighter gets severe brain damage

Fengxian

I am God
@Blue
Reaction score
Found a really nice article but also sad from Bloody Elbow.

Lei Zhenhuan suffered what doctors are calling an ‘irreversible’ brain injury. Lei, a PhD student studying at the University of British Columbia attended a hobbyist level kickboxing tournament on October 14, 2023. The bouts were advertised as “light” and “controlled” contact with participants competing in multiple bouts in the same day. Lei had three bouts. Shortly following his final bout Lei’s health rapidly deteriorated and he lost consciousness.

It has now been over three months. He lies in a vegetative state at Royal Colombian Hospital. It is unclear if or when he will regain consciousness. Lei was in Canada on a student visa. He has no family in town. His mother has flown from overseas to be by his bedside.

Additionally, being in Canada on a student Visa means his family is facing the reality of getting Lei home. They have been told a medical transportation flight can cost north of $100,000.

I have launched a fundraiser for anyone who can assist. It can be found here:
https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-needed-after-kickboxing-tragedy

Pretty sad how a university student get severe brain injury like this from an amateur competition. More over he's also a foreigner which makes the situation even more complicated.

Cant imagine the heartbreak his mom feels.

Full article : https://bloodyelbow.com/2024/01/25/amateur-kickboxing-canada-fundraiser/

We are in teh "head injury" game.

Some people might catch just teh right shot, but others have biological anomalies that make them more prone to such things. A very deep medical exam to find that stuff ahead of time would be advisable for anyone who dreams of entering Fight Club.

We need to measure which is more dangerous. Eating Francis uppercuts or getting checkmate by Magnus Carlsen.
More people have collapsed from playing chess over extremely long days compared to fighters getting knocked out
Not to mention the mental stress of playing chess

I'd rather face Ngannou in a fight than vs any grandmaster in chess

More people have collapsed from playing chess over extremely long days compared to fighters getting knocked out
Not to mention the mental stress of playing chess

I'd rather face Ngannou in a fight than vs any grandmaster in chess
I used to play grandmasters in chess in Harvard Square in Cambridge for $10 a game.
Never beat a single one of them, but it was worth the $10 for the experience.

I used to play grandmasters in chess in Harvard Square in Cambridge for $10 a game.
Never beat a single one of them, but it was worth the $10 for the experience.
Were any of the matches competitive? or did you get destroyed by them all?
I used to play some chess last year but then i kept losing to amateurs all the time and just quit

It's unfortunately the nature of the beast when it comes to participating in a combat sport. Apologies to that guys family.

Theres no such thing as a hobbyist head shot. Ive always been more weary of training with "hobbyist" than higher level guys because some guys are always looking to prove something and "light" contact always leads to someone letting their guard / caution down; its the shots you dont brace for / dont expect that cause this shit.

Pretty sad how a university student get severe brain injury like this from an amateur competition. More over he's also a foreigner which makes the situation even more complicated.

Full article : https://bloodyelbow.com/2024/01/25/amateur-kickboxing-canada-fundraiser/
I live in BC so this hits home a little bit. I sparred a bunch in boxing but had no amateur or pro competition experience, my buddy however had a friend who was an amateur boxer, and he watched his friend die from a punch, a hook I believe that just landed a certain way. Fighting is serious business and the consequences can be dire, that’s part of why we’re so attracted and compelled by it imo.

It's odd how it's one of those things where professionals take hits their whole career and it's fine (as fine as 10+ years of combat sports can be) while some guy at the amateur or regional circuit takes only a handful of shots and wind up seriously injured.

That's really unfortunate and probably the organizers will have to be investigated to a degree... But they all signed waivers and understood the risks , unfortunate and sad its a rare thing but you hate to see it.

Best wishes to the family

Yo, it's a real sad ting hearing 'bout this yute. Dude was on his PhD hustle, tryna make big moves, but got taken out just before he could reach the top. Fighting's a dangerous game, no matter the level, ahlie?

Man's gonna keep him in my dome today, and I'll dash one out for the big dog Lei Zhenhuan 🍻

Praying them UFC streams up in God's crib stay smooth, not bugging out like they do in the 6ix. #JustBangGod bless up fams 😢 ✊👊 😇 💜

Theres no such thing as a hobbyist head shot. Ive always been more weary of training with "hobbyist" than higher level guys because some guys are always looking to prove something and "light" contact always leads to someone letting their guard / caution down; its the shots you dont brace for / dont expect that cause this shit.
Yeah the 70% contact rule is just plain stupid, it relies completely on both fighters being able to contain themselves in a fight where they both want to win.

This story really sucks, but perhaps this kid had underlying issues...the amateur medical approval is a joke at best. Its basically a brief physical done be a general practitioner to get the OK to fight. But hey everyone knows the risks when they sign up, no different than signing the dotted line before you train at any gym or martial arts studio.

I hope he recovers.

Back