Daniel Jacobs Knocked Out!!!! *Updated*

RR Town

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Dmitry Pirog Knocks Daniel Jacobs Out Cold in Five! - Boxing News

Wow i cant believe it.

A very technical first round. A boxing match with some of the better punches landed by Pirog. In the second, Pirog nearly knocked Jacobs down with a right hand and began to dish out punishment with punches to the head and body. Jacobs did some better work in the third. The fourth was close with both having their moments. In the fifth, Pirog landed a crushing right hand bomb as Jacobs was against the ropes and knocked him out cold. The ref could have counted until 20.

Jacobs said he never saw the right hand that put him on his back. He was hit, the lights briefly went out and the fight was over. Jacobs said his camp and mental state was affected by last week's passing of his grandmother.

"Everything happened so fast," Jacobs said. "I got caught with a shot I didn't even see. ... I'm not going to complain. I just hope everyone will forgive me and keep the faith. I know I can come back and become a champ. I think if I was at 100 percent, I would have done a little better. It's just one of those things that happens."

Hopefully he'll come back way better,but i think the bigger story is Dmitry Pirog. Never heard of this guy, but he seems to be the real deal.

If there one remarkable performance on Saturday night at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas, it came from Dmitry Pirog (17-0, 14KOs) of Russia, who stopped Daniel Jacobs with a single right hand in fifth round to capture the WBO middleweight title. Priog said none of Jacobs' punches had a lot of power behind them. He saw Jacobs wobble in the second round and knew he could hurt him again.

"I'm very happy and thankful I'm taking this belt back to my fans in Russia," Pirog said. "Danny punched very quickly and sharply, but I didn't feel much from him. I hurt him in the second round, and I knew I could come back and do it again."

Last edited:
Pirog is the real deal. Very lean, so I was thinking he's not very powerful, but he sure is.

Yeah, I thought Byrd should have called a technical down in the 2nd as it was clear the ropes kept Jacobs from falling on his ass - still, a fun KO by Pirog (whom I hope HBO promotes in future fights) and I'm sure Golden Boy is ecstatic that one of their top prospects was brutally stopped like that...

Pirog is the slickest Russian fighter I have ever seen by far. He was bobbing and weaving, getting in and out, moving all round, he looked like a white Roy Jones/Floyd Mayweather out there. I look forward to seeing him fight again for sure.

Pirog is the slickest Russian fighter I have ever seen by far. He was bobbing and weaving, getting in and out, moving all round, he looked like a white Roy Jones/Floyd Mayweather out there. I look forward to seeing him fight again for sure.

OMG, shut the fuck up. He's not even close to being smooth as Mayweather or Floyd. He's a hurky jerk fighter.

That said, I like his swagger. Very unorthodox style for a Russian fighter.

Who the fuck is this guy????

McDuck, I see what you're saying.... but, Pirog did some damn good things in that fight.
He's not herky/jerky in the sense of some bumbling clutz who just happens to occasionally do something right.
He was damn impressive in there.
And I was one of the few telling others that they were selling Jacobs short, that Jacobs is something special.

Pirog was doing this odd foot movement thing where:
starting from an orthodox stance (left foot in front/right in rear) he would step with his right foot very far forward, then bring his left past his right and like bend into a body shot.

OMG, shut the fuck up. He's not even close to being smooth as Mayweather or Floyd. He's a hurky jerk fighter.

That said, I like his swagger. Very unorthodox style for a Russian fighter.

Mayweather or Floyd? :icon_lol: But yeah, he was in (IMO) the most entertaining fight of the card and I'd want to see him again (dunno who at 154 and 160 would want to fight him, though, given his unknown status and unorthodox style).

Who the fuck is this guy????

McDuck, I see what you're saying.... but, Pirog did some damn good things in that fight.
He's not herky/jerky in the sense of some bumbling clutz who just happens to occasionally do something right.
He was damn impressive in there.
And I was one of the few telling others that they were selling Jacobs short, that Jacobs is something special.

Pirog was doing this odd foot movement thing where:
starting from an orthodox stance (left foot in front/right in rear) he would step with his right foot very far forward, then bring his left past his right and like bend into a body shot.

He's not that smooth. Jacobs still landed shots on his ass. It's just that he has an impressive chin on him. He does however has impressive footwork in that he knows how to close distance, cut people off. And he knows and likes to work the body to setup shots. A new middleweight star could be born tonight.

Was just thinking: how many of the 'ESPN Prospect of the Year' guys have imploded/stumbled vs. have actually achieved success in the last few years? The only guys I remember are:

2005: Joel Julio
2006: Andre Berto
2007: Amir Khan
2008: Victor Ortiz
2009: Daniel Jacobs

Edit: Don't remember before 2005 and I had to look up and see that Khan was 2007 Prospect of the Year.

The prospect of the year for 2007 was Amir Khan. Subsequently, he gets blasted by Prescott. It always happens shortly after the announcement. The guys get brutalized or embarrassed.

Berto is still standing, but that guy struggles against decent second tier contenders. But now that the welterweight scene change to dramatically in the past year, it's looking better for him. I still want the Mosley fight to happen though. Even though I think the fight will be closer than people will think because Mosley still darts in with his chin vulnerable. Berto has that sling uppercut to take advantage of that.

Missed this PPV. Sounds like I shouldn't have...

It was a meh PPV, to be honest. The first 2 fights were uninteresting (besides Guerrero getting dropped at the end by Casamayor in a fight where he should have overwhelmed him), Pirog was awesome and the card MVP and Marquez put a nice technical beatdown of Diaz (who, IMO, fought stupidly by trying to outbox him rather than smother him with shots like early in the first fight) but it's not a fight worth keeping on tape or something.

He's not that smooth. Jacobs still landed shots on his ass. It's just that he has an impressive chin on him. He does however has impressive footwork in that he knows how to close distance, cut people off. And he knows and likes to work the body to setup shots. A new middleweight star could be born tonight.

Saying it's the case is one thing....
Of course Jacobs is still going to "land shots on his ass". That's a silly gage for whether one is "smooth" or not (whatever you mean by smooth). But that standard is odd. If shots being landed on one's ass negates their smoothness, then there ain't a damn smooth fighter in the sport.

And it's not that he just has an impressive chin. It appears you've completely missed the point in the fight where Pirog dodged a 3 or 4 punch combo from Jacobs using.... yup, head and torso movement.

Regardless:

The prospect of the year for 2007 was Amir Khan. Subsequently, he gets blasted by Prescott. It always happens shortly after the announcement. The guys get brutalized or embarrassed.

Berto is still standing, but that guy struggles against decent second tier contenders. But now that the welterweight scene change to dramatically in the past year, it's looking better for him. I still want the Mosley fight to happen though. Even though I think the fight will be closer than people will think because Mosley still darts in with his chin vulnerable. Berto has that sling uppercut to take advantage of that.

The ESPN Prospect of the Year award is cursed, just like the curse of most EA sports game covers. :icon_lol:

And I believe 2004 was Sam Peter. He subsequently lost to Wlad and gets hurt bad by a jab.

Saying it's the case is one thing....
Of course Jacobs is still going to "land shots on his ass". That's a silly gage for whether one is "smooth" or not (whatever you mean by smooth). But that standard is odd. If shots being landed on one's ass negates their smoothness, then there ain't a damn smooth fighter in the sport.

And it's not that he just has an impressive chin. It appears you've completely missed the point in the fight where Pirog dodged a 3 or 4 punch combo from Jacobs using.... yup, head and torso movement.

Regardless:

Not saying the movement was totally inept. It worked at some points. What I am saying he's not a reactive fighter like Mayweather. How he moved, he looked like Anderson Silva doing to the matrix at times. That is what I meant by Jerky.

But don't get me wrong. I am impressed with this kid (even though he is 30). I have never seen such swagger on a Russian fighter before. And what an unorthodox style for a Russian fighter as well. This guy is like the Russian Version of Carl Froch, but better skilled. I like his body work and footwork.

Back