Daniel Jacobs Knocked Out!!!! *Updated*

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by RR Town, Jul 31, 2010.

1. RR Town

RR Town Orange Belt

Dmitry Pirog Knocks Daniel Jacobs Out Cold in Five! - Boxing News

Wow i cant believe it.

Hopefully he'll come back way better,but i think the bigger story is Dmitry Pirog. Never heard of this guy, but he seems to be the real deal.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  2. Lazy Man

Lazy Man Heavyweight Champion of the World

3. nmsu1999

nmsu1999 White Belt

Pirog is the real deal. Very lean, so I was thinking he's not very powerful, but he sure is.

4. RR Town

RR Town Orange Belt

5. ThirdPartyView

ThirdPartyView Keeping Jack Dempsey from ducking

Yeah, I thought Byrd should have called a technical down in the 2nd as it was clear the ropes kept Jacobs from falling on his ass - still, a fun KO by Pirog (whom I hope HBO promotes in future fights) and I'm sure Golden Boy is ecstatic that one of their top prospects was brutally stopped like that...

6. WPack911

WPack911 Green Belt

Pirog is the slickest Russian fighter I have ever seen by far. He was bobbing and weaving, getting in and out, moving all round, he looked like a white Roy Jones/Floyd Mayweather out there. I look forward to seeing him fight again for sure.

7. McDuck**

McDuck** Purple Belt

OMG, shut the fuck up. He's not even close to being smooth as Mayweather or Floyd. He's a hurky jerk fighter.

That said, I like his swagger. Very unorthodox style for a Russian fighter.

8. TheTruth1982

TheTruth1982 Guest

yeah mayweather or floyd would dance circles around that foo

9. MC Paul Barman

MC Paul Barman Gold Belt Platinum Member

Who the fuck is this guy????

McDuck, I see what you're saying.... but, Pirog did some damn good things in that fight.
    He's not herky/jerky in the sense of some bumbling clutz who just happens to occasionally do something right.
    He was damn impressive in there.
    And I was one of the few telling others that they were selling Jacobs short, that Jacobs is something special.

Pirog was doing this odd foot movement thing where:
    starting from an orthodox stance (left foot in front/right in rear) he would step with his right foot very far forward, then bring his left past his right and like bend into a body shot.

10. ThirdPartyView

Mayweather or Floyd? :icon_lol: But yeah, he was in (IMO) the most entertaining fight of the card and I'd want to see him again (dunno who at 154 and 160 would want to fight him, though, given his unknown status and unorthodox style).

11. MC Paul Barman

Mayweather or Floyd??

Whatever.

I think you guys aren't giving Pirog credit.

12. McDuck**

McDuck** Purple Belt

He's not that smooth. Jacobs still landed shots on his ass. It's just that he has an impressive chin on him. He does however has impressive footwork in that he knows how to close distance, cut people off. And he knows and likes to work the body to setup shots. A new middleweight star could be born tonight.

13. ThirdPartyView

Was just thinking: how many of the 'ESPN Prospect of the Year' guys have imploded/stumbled vs. have actually achieved success in the last few years? The only guys I remember are:

2005: Joel Julio
    2006: Andre Berto
    2007: Amir Khan
    2008: Victor Ortiz
    2009: Daniel Jacobs

Edit: Don't remember before 2005 and I had to look up and see that Khan was 2007 Prospect of the Year.

14. The Green Lantern

The Green Lantern Beware My Power...

Missed this PPV. Sounds like I shouldn't have...

15. McDuck**

McDuck** Purple Belt

The prospect of the year for 2007 was Amir Khan. Subsequently, he gets blasted by Prescott. It always happens shortly after the announcement. The guys get brutalized or embarrassed.

Berto is still standing, but that guy struggles against decent second tier contenders. But now that the welterweight scene change to dramatically in the past year, it's looking better for him. I still want the Mosley fight to happen though. Even though I think the fight will be closer than people will think because Mosley still darts in with his chin vulnerable. Berto has that sling uppercut to take advantage of that.

16. ThirdPartyView

It was a meh PPV, to be honest. The first 2 fights were uninteresting (besides Guerrero getting dropped at the end by Casamayor in a fight where he should have overwhelmed him), Pirog was awesome and the card MVP and Marquez put a nice technical beatdown of Diaz (who, IMO, fought stupidly by trying to outbox him rather than smother him with shots like early in the first fight) but it's not a fight worth keeping on tape or something.

17. MC Paul Barman

Saying it's the case is one thing....
    Of course Jacobs is still going to "land shots on his ass". That's a silly gage for whether one is "smooth" or not (whatever you mean by smooth). But that standard is odd. If shots being landed on one's ass negates their smoothness, then there ain't a damn smooth fighter in the sport.

And it's not that he just has an impressive chin. It appears you've completely missed the point in the fight where Pirog dodged a 3 or 4 punch combo from Jacobs using.... yup, head and torso movement.

Regardless:

18. ThirdPartyView

The ESPN Prospect of the Year award is cursed, just like the curse of most EA sports game covers. :icon_lol:

19. McDuck**

McDuck** Purple Belt

And I believe 2004 was Sam Peter. He subsequently lost to Wlad and gets hurt bad by a jab.

20. McDuck**

McDuck** Purple Belt

Not saying the movement was totally inept. It worked at some points. What I am saying he's not a reactive fighter like Mayweather. How he moved, he looked like Anderson Silva doing to the matrix at times. That is what I meant by Jerky.

But don't get me wrong. I am impressed with this kid (even though he is 30). I have never seen such swagger on a Russian fighter before. And what an unorthodox style for a Russian fighter as well. This guy is like the Russian Version of Carl Froch, but better skilled. I like his body work and footwork.