Daniel Jacobs Knocked Out!!!! *Updated*

I thought Jacobs looked fairly confused that whole fight, I had it 3-1 Pirog going into the 5th.

He landed a couple good shots, but kept squaring himself up on the ropes with no movement, he picked up the pace a little in the 3rd and 4th but still looked offset by Pirog's movement/pressure.

was that the 2nd round? i thought it was the 1st. Well then it must have been the 3rd and 4th rounds where i saw him making the adjustments. I also had money on Jacobs so that may have played a part in me seeing him winning that round :icon_lol:

You know...
I really don't remember either. Maybe it was the first.

But wasn't it in the 2nd where Jacobs looked like he should have had a knockdown counted against him?

Yes, that was the technical down round (or, rather, what should have been called a technical down).

Jacobs was obviously seriously overrated. The scorecards prior to the stoppage were a ridiculous joke. Dmitry Pirog is the new man at middleweight.

yeah it was at the beggining of the 2nd round that he almost got dropped, Jacobs actually did a pretty good job in that 1st round, possibly because Pirog was just trying to feel him out at that point.

You'd rather they do the midwest bum-fight circuit and build up a glossy record?

I actually LOVE that GBP is willing to put their guys in tough. I would much rather see a competitive fight between two up and commers than a Star vs No-hoper.

ESPECIALLY on a ppv card.

I'm of the opinion that a ppv card should have NO gimmie fights on the main card. As far as that goes, this was a pretty decent ppv (on paper).

Nobody wants to see a shit product.

100%: you should see the meaningless merry-go-round that the latest batch of Brit Olympians are riding at the mo. piss-poor.

Jacobs was obviously seriously overrated. The scorecards prior to the stoppage were a ridiculous joke. Dmitry Pirog is the new man at middleweight.

seriously overated? he's got serious talent, i'm watching a replay of the fight right now and so far i have him winning the 1st, 3rd, and 4rth round with his counter punching. Don't be fooled by Lampley and Stewards praise of Pirog and the fact that Jacobs was moving backwards alot, he still deserved to be ahead on the scorecards when the KO came because he was landing more.

No-one is mentioning the bereavement Jacobs suffered days prior to the fight. He looked uncomfortable from the very beginning. It might have played a part, it might have not. All in all a pretty shitty week for the kid though. Good luck to him.

seriously overated? he's got serious talent, i'm watching a replay of the fight right now and so far i have him winning the 1st, 3rd, and 4rth round with his counter punching. Don't be fooled by Lampley and Stewards praise of Pirog and the fact that Jacobs was moving backwards alot, he still deserved to be ahead on the scorecards when the KO came because he was landing more.

I think I had it 2-2 entering the 5th round but it was getting clear that Jacobs was more than a little bit frustrated with Pirog's style before the KO came.

I never thought he was THAT impressive.

Kind of a telling video.
Go to about 2:19 where trainer Justin Fortune says that Pirog just has that basic Eastern European style. It kind of makes me wonder what the hell he could have been watching. Or, even worse, if he even knows what he's seeing.

Watching other Pirog's fights you can quickly tell he's more than just a jab and straight type boxer.
Might be best for Fortune to let go of any hopes of opponent scouting

Justin Fortune's interview makes it sound like he just showed up at the gym after being gone a few months

Back