Daniel Cormier vs Gus

Kingrest00

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
For a number one contender spot who takes it and why?

Why would DC be in a number 1 contender fight? He just lost to Jones.

DC vs. Gus would be an awesome fight though.

Winner of Gus and Johnson is number 1 contender. Cormier has to get back in line

WTF? Gus IS already the #1 contender and has been the #1 contender throughout the entire build-up to Jones-Cormier (who only leapfrogged Gus because of injury). Why in the sweet fucking hell are you trying to put Gus in a fight for a status he already holds against a guy who just had the title shot and lost?

Loser of Gus/Rumble should fight Cormier. I think either one would beat him.

I would have said DC before last night, now I'm not sure. Worse cardio, less aggression, less power at LHW...he'd probably lose to Gus by stoppage.

I think it's a little bit of bull shit that Gus can still be considered the number one contender. He lost to the champ ages ago, had one "keep busy" fight against Jimi Manuwa almost a year ago and he's done nothing since.

The only way I can make sense of it is if I think about the PPV: Rumble needs a win over Gus to create some sort of hype for a Jones fight, obviously beating the guy that nearly beat the champ serves that purpose. I guess Gus needs to beat Rumble because he hasn't had a fight in ages, and the division is moving on without him. One thing I do know is Gus is bloody lucky that LHW is ridiculously thin right now.

I think it's a little bit of bull shit that Gus can still be considered the number one contender. He lost to the champ ages ago, had one "keep busy" fight against Jimi Manuwa almost a year ago and he's done nothing since.

The only way I can make sense of it is if I think about the PPV: Rumble needs a win over Gus to create some sort of hype for a Jones fight, obviously beating the guy that nearly beat the champ serves that purpose. I guess Gus needs to beat Rumble because he hasn't had a fight in ages, and the division is moving on without him. One thing I do know is Gus is bloody lucky that LHW is ridiculously thin right now.

Oh this will rustle some jimmies

Oh this will rustle some jimmies

giphy25.gif

Every LHW is lucky that LHW is thin right now.

WTF? Gus IS already the #1 contender and has been the #1 contender throughout the entire build-up to Jones-Cormier (who only leapfrogged Gus because of injury). Why in the sweet fucking hell are you trying to put Gus in a fight for a status he already holds against a guy who just had the title shot and lost?

And Gus only got his original title shot by getting injured and sitting on his ass. Gus has ONE top ten win in his career. And he LOST to Jones. Honestly, the Gus Apologist Nation is ridiculous. Thinking that Gus is owed something after losing to Jones and then beating a guy outside the top ten. Jesus. Give your head a shake...

DC had a very distinct advantage at HW, and that was speed. Now he's at LHW and doesn't hold that kind of edge at all against the top guys. Fedor pretty much always had a speed advantage too against most of his opponents. Once you take that away it means you have to compensate for relying on it previously and develop better timing and footwork.

Gustafsson would keep him on the outside, eventually (sooner than later) DC would get in and they'd clinch fight. If Gustafsson starts unloading uppercuts or knees (if he wanted to risk getting taken down or slammed) then he could hurt and possibly stop DC, who was wobbled by a punch from Jones last night (Jones isn't a heavy hitter either). Gustafsson has a sick chin and if DC couldn't knock Jones out in a clinch battle dirty boxing clinic then I doubt he'll be able to do it to Gus.

DC would come pressing forward and Gus would look to try and pick him apart from the outside at first. Gustafsson can actually fight off of his back foot and has even hurt and dropped guys there (Thiago Silva for instance) so he'd be capable of finishing even while being moved backwards / with most of his weight on the back foot.

Gus_1.png

I'd predict Gustafsson by T/KO inside 2 or 3 rounds. He'll be trying to get him out of there early due to his punching power and wrestling ability.

Cormier beats AJ really badly and takes a clear UD over Gus. Jon Jones is a tremendous top notch wrestler, if you are not a Grade A wrestler, Cormier will eat you up. Glad to account bet anyone who thinks Gus or AJ beat DC.

The Jones we saw last night finishes Gus. It is mind blowing how quickly MMA 'fans' crucify you after one close loss to the greatest fighter to ever walk the planet.....(shaking my head). The only people that have a chance of beating JJ are at HW. Any MMA fan with a brain would want to see JJ pushed to the limit and that aint happening at LHW.

I'd love to see DC vs Gus. And I think it's a straightforward fight for DC.

Back