• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Media Dana White: "We're working it out" regarding Wonderboy pay issue

Do you think Wonderboy will get paid?

• Total voters
I agree, but, a new dirt bag will enter...Dana is only representing the UFC and so will the next president...Dana is very transparent which makes it easier to understand what the organization wants from him. No reading between the lines with Dana...thats the only thing I like about the whole situation
Just because another shitty person takes over, doesn't mean I won't be happy as hell to see that asshole go away.

Tbf Wonderboy got offered to fight and refused. He has every right to do so, but then don't expect to make money...

Imagine your boss tells you to do one thing and then later tells you to do something else and you say "fu** that i ain't doing sh**. Well, pretty sure no one in here would expect to make any money in those conditions.

If he accepted the fight he would earn his money, but he refused and prefered to go party and be lazy, so ...
Imagine if you have an exact and precise CONTRACT, and the person in charge, WHO IS NOT YOUR BOSS BECAUSE THEY HAVE SAID IN COURT THEY ARE NOT YOUR EMPLOYER AND THAT YOU ARE AN INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR tries to change it without your consent, and then argues they don't owe you when you upheld your side of the CONTRACT.

Much better analogy than yours.

Not paying someone like Wonderboy who seems to be one of the nicest guys in MMA makes this even worse. He had a totally understandable reason for not taking the fight either.

He's 40 and top 7, the last time he was in this kind of position his opponent missed weight by multiple pounds and he lost a razor thin decision, then his opponent gets a title shot despite missing weight. Good for him for not doing the UFC favors anymore. Hopefully more fighters will follow suit and hopefully the mma media grows some balls and keeps asking why they won't pay him his show money or cover the cost of his camp and pay him something on top of that to compensate him for his opponent being unprofessional.

I remember, it was fans and fighters when it all started....then Dana came and he looked like a nobody car sales man. Then he was signing photos which was funny as hell...then Dana acted like he was just as important as the fighters.

If the fighters knew how much more weight they have than Dana or the organization, they would just move shop....go back to fighting in tents and get paid a hell of allot more. They don't need the UFC...they can go about it other ways....

I remember, it was fans and fighters when it all started....then Dana came and he looked like a nobody car sales man. Then he was signing photos which was funny as hell...then Dana acted like he was just as important as the fighters.

If the fighters knew how much more weight they have than Dana or the organization, they would just move shop....go back to fighting in tents and get paid a hell of allot more. They don't need the UFC...they can go about it other ways....
pg2_g_white_sy_576.jpg

In a nutshell. Look at the poser

But UFC has paid other fighters in the same situation right?

Dana is a greedy, corrupt, selfish, manipulative, remorseless, woman-abusing, womanizing, terrifying, backstabbing, spineless, boastful, cowardly, lying, cruel, grumpy, untrustworthy, unforgiving psychopathic, thieving, hatred-spewing, self-centered, disorganized, apprehensive, condescending, narrow-minded, dishonorable, feeble-minded, incomprehensible, potato munching, morally bankrupt, unfriendly, bitter, careless, vindictive, sociopathic douchebag
lol<45>

BS. He showed up ready - it’s not his fault his opponent did not.

God, I hate this garbage organization sometimes. Their greed and lack of respect for fighters is despicable.

It also sets a messed up precedent if you force guys into taking fights if they want to get paid. Might as well show up at 205 to fight at WW.

don’t @ me dana bootlickers, you know it’s true.
Yeah this is so bushleague

No he didn't do work. A bout agreement states that a fighter is to be compensated for a completed bout.
Being on weight is a pre-condition necessary to his job. This isn't that hard to understand.
How is this such a big deal!? A lawyer doesn't get paid for having a law degree. A pilot doesn't get paid for posessing a pilot's license. A bus driver cannot be blind. These are preconditions for their respective jobs. But none of these get paid without doing actual work. They get paid for doing their job AND need to fullfill certain criteria to do that job in the first place. There's no JUST fullfilling the criteria.
A bus driver won't get paid for being able to see without ever driving a bus.

They offered WB an immediate replacement and he didn't want that either. Fair enough, his choice. They are willing to reimburse his training camp expenses. Why do you want him to get paid so bad?
He could get a new matchup every single week. Then he could actually fight for his purse. A couple of weeks delay shouldn't be that terrible for a guy who doesn't fight more than twice a year.
Completely incorrect. The last 2 times I dealt with lawyers they did absolutely nothing aside from sign their name on a piece of paper. That was probably the secretary signing off. For thousands of dollars.

But UFC has paid other fighters in the same situation right?

I'd like to know the answer to this question as well. Is there a precedent for what the UFC did to Wonder boy?

I can see both sides to the argument, and Wonderboy is a great guy, but if I'm the UFC and offered him a piece of Peireira's purse, then a new opponent, and he still refused, there's no way I'm paying him when his absence impacts the PPV. It was only a couple of pounds overweight too. Nobody would ever fight again if their opponent misses weight when they know they're getting paid regardless.

right.. so apparently none of the fault falls on the GUY THAT MISSES WEIGHT.

Lol. If I allocate $250 a month for martial arts training, but don't get any martial arts training, I don't go "meh, it was already allocated, go ahead and have it, coach! See ya when ya get back from vacation!"

UFC obviously has to get ROI. The fact that they would pay camp fees, etc. that Dana outlined is extremely fair, and getting him a quick fight while he's in fight shape is a very reasonable halfway point. You can't expect the company to operate with a standard operating procedure of paying guys for not fighting. Everyone is advocating for the UFC to just eat its money because Pereira missed weight, but, that's because you hate Dana, not because it's a reasonable resolution. If the UFC wanted to be charitable, sure, it's a good look for $250,000, but from henceforth every fighter whose opponent misses weight won't fight and won't take a quick turnaround fight, they'll just say fuck you pay me money for making weight. Not a good business practice.

And that would have cost millions to Nate Diaz with the Khamzat fight, and we wouldn't have had Tony v. Nate or the Khamzat makeup fight.

Anyway, I'm not trying to mock anyone, but I really do think you guys are being unreasonably anti-UFC for the sake of hating Dana. If you were an arbitrator for both sides in this process, you'd never argue that the UFC just pay WB for not fighting. it's not equitable. you'd honestly argue for what Dana seems to have described.
It's called show money. He showed up and made weight.

Last edited:
I'll just leave this one example (of many) in which a fighter got paid despite the opponent not making weight and the fight not happening (the example is also very ironic):

And of course DJ only even asked for that stipulation because both the UFC and Dillashaw "guaranteed" that Dillashaw would make weight, so DJ wanted that so-called promise backed up in the contract; when the UFC didn't agree to the stipulation it proved that their guarantee meant absolutely nothing.

Like that scene in Fargo

upload_2023-8-9_11-2-58.gif

This video is kinda clickbait. It cuts off when Dana clarified his position. They do make reimbursement to the fighters and try to offer them a quick turnaround in another fight. He also hinted that WB didn't want to take the quick replacement fight. I don't believe Wonderboy is getting all his show money but he will get something. WB is in just in a bad spot. He is making the claim that he wants to be a contend for the belt but he is also not interested in fighting anyone besides strikers. Management is petty too. I am assuming WB fights a killer for his next fight.

$250,000 for some douchebags that "get clicks", but nothing for an actual fighter.

Something seems off about that sir.
It’s HIS fucking money he’s giving to whomever, or spending on his son’s birthday. What is so hard to understand about that?

Do you have to justify to me or anybody else except your wife how YOU spend YOUR money?

It’s not just the height of ignorance. It’s the height of arrogance. If you think he has to justify how he spends his money to you.

One has NOTHING to do with the other. Some people are being deliberately obtuse. Or the alternative is.. Some people are REALLY not smart. Have no idea how the real world works. And especially are clueless about how huge conglomerates operate.

It's called show money. He showed up and made weight.
Show money never existed. Tony didn't get his show money when Khabib got ill. They gave him less than half as compensation. I don't believe that the company is contractually obligated to give them anything.

Why get paid. Why not get on the next card in 4 weeks. 250 k for making weight

It’s HIS fucking money he’s giving to whomever, or spending on his son’s birthday. What is so hard to understand about that?

Do you have to justify to me or anybody else except your wife how YOU spend YOUR money?

It’s not just the height of ignorance. It’s the height of arrogance. If you think he has to justify how he spends his money to you.

One has NOTHING to do with the other. Some people are being deliberately obtuse. Or the alternative is.. Some people are REALLY not smart. Have no idea how the real world works. And especially are clueless about how huge conglomerates operate.

I don't even have to explain it to my wife so Im not sure what you're getting all crazy about exactly.

Im also not in charge of 650 poor bastads that are getting railroaded in the hopes of making a living putting their actual health on the line.

If I was one of those poor fuckers I would hope people stood up and said something on my behalf.
I guess everyone would be be happy having this fucking asshole as a boss...allowed to talk shit about you, demean you in public, and just generally flaunt his wealth while the "independent contractors" take fat dicks in the ass.

I mean sure, who fuckin cares about the ones that actually fight, instead lets stand up for the guy that has never fought a day in his life while he blatantly fucks people over, and is somehow worth a half a billion.

I guess im just an asshole for giving a shit about the ones that actually get in there and fight for our entertainment.

Sorry for being human sir.

If you need to have "he didn't get paid because he didn't fight" explained to you you're a moron. You don't get paid to make weight. You get paid to fight.

Also, how many threads on this are necessary?

Show money never existed. Tony didn't get his show money when Khabib got ill. They gave him less than half as compensation. I don't believe that the company is contractually obligated to give them anything.

Super true - the UFC is not legally obligated, but Wonderboy isn't suing for missed pay.

We are shitting on the UFC in the court of public opinion, so imo it's not a legal question, necessarily, although it may be to some. It may be an ethical question to others.

For clarity,
Wonderboy is owed $16,000 for media obligations, as per his SHOW contract.

There's annual payout (owed) for turning down 3 fights per year,
and it is substantially less than "show" money.
This is a signing agreement for entering the roster, not for show/fight performances.
This is one reason fighters leave the UFC more frequently by their own choice.
If your PERFORMANCE gets a fighter fired, that isn't a long term solution,
nor is accepting a last minute fight logical.

Stalling out the year...
saves records, retains value, avoids injuries, and gives time to educate / negotiate.

Contracts are evil. Credit cards, phones, all of it.

Try show up to work, and a boss sends you home because there's no work...
how is anyone "owed" pay for the entire 12 hour shift ?
Depends on the employment agreement.
Many contractor trades offer free estimates. They are not paid for that time or travel.
Salary versus hourly, caught between two different contracts.
This is why management are negotiating.

Figured this might help readers understand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
romanych
Back