Dana White: "We should just get rid of judges and flip a coin to see who won!!!"

I did the counting for CompuStrike. There's no way Couture won. I'm even friends with his coaches and have trained there. Everyone was surprised.

Even the best judges are being forced to follow mythical 5 minute scoring periods and personal opinion on 10-9's or 10-8's.

If a fighter barely edges 2 rounds, and gets utterly decimated in the 3rd, every judge is essentially forced to side with the first fighter (since 10-8 rounds are mostly unseen, and totally subject to personal opinion even amongst the judges).

It doesnt matter what the judges feel about the fight they just watched, they are forced to divide 1 fight into 3 (or 5), and 90% of the time they are forced to score it 10-9 because thats what people do in this system.

I can't even count how many fights I've seen over the last decade where there's a fighter I think "should" have won but I know 100% for a fact that the other guy would (and did) get the decision (much more in recent memory than in distant, surprisingly).

The rules should make it as easy as possible for the judges and ref's to get it right, not be some massively personal-preference based system.

You could have 3 of the best judges in the world end up with totally different scores under this system.

tumblr_ll3my50BlO1qbzqexo1_500.gif

tumblr_m3bzc40g2o1r1awtfo1_250.gif
tumblr_m3bzc40g2o1r1awtfo1_250.gif

All fights should be judged as a whole.​

Even the best judges are being forced to follow mythical 5 minute scoring periods and personal opinion on 10-9's or 10-8's.

If a fighter barely edges 2 rounds, and gets utterly decimated in the 3rd, every judge is essentially forced to side with the first fighter (since 10-8 rounds are mostly unseen, and totally subject to personal opinion even amongst the judges).

It doesnt matter what the judges feel about the fight they just watched, they are forced to divide 1 fight into 3 (or 5), and 90% of the time they are forced to score it 10-9 because thats what people do in this system.

I can't even count how many fights I've seen over the last decade where there's a fighter I think "should" have won but I know 100% for a fact that the other guy would (and did) get the decision (much more in recent memory than in distant, surprisingly).

It didn't matter that 90% of the mma population saw Shogun beat Machida in that infamous fight, all that matters is that 3 people were forced to watch 5 mini-fights inside that 1 fight, and not surprisingly it was fucked as all hell. They weren't even remotely close to even ending up on the same page as far as individual rounds.

Under this system, a close fight could be scored 50-45 and 45-50 by 2 of the best judges in the world.
Thats a broken system. Period.

The rules should make it as easy as possible for the judges and ref's to get it right, not be some massively personal-preference based system.

You could have 3 of the best judges in the world end up with totally different scores under this system.

You do make valid points, but that does not remotely excuse the judges on this and many other fights. There is a set scoring system in place. Yes, a close fight could be 50-45 or 45-50, but if every round is extremely close, that's not necessarily the worst thing in the world. But if one fighter lands more strikes and controls more of the grappling and octagon, that fighter should win the round. Period. Yes the system is broken, but these judges are terrible EXTREMELY often because they don't know what the hell they are looking at.

It didn't matter that 90% of the mma population saw Shogun beat Machida in that infamous fight, all that matters is that 3 people were forced to watch 5 mini-fights inside that 1 fight, and not surprisingly it was fucked as all hell. They weren't even remotely close to even ending up on the same page as far as individual rounds.

Under this system, a close fight could be scored 50-45 and 45-50 by 2 of the best judges in the world.
Thats a broken system. Period.

Great fucking post. Somebody sticky this shit. Every fan needs to read this.

I have to credit Joe Rogan for a big chunk of that. He went apeshit every time it looked like Shogun was even thinking about a kick but he remained completely silent for just about all of Machida's successful offense.

Add to that the fact that Machida was considered unbeatable prior to that fight and Shogun did very well against him and you have the reason why I feel the outcry following that fight was incredibly skewed and unfair.

It's been a while since I've seen it but I remember 3 of those rounds being very ambigious, with Shogun having a decisive round and Machida having another. I realize the way the judging system is set up (there were no 10-8s) would have made it impossible but that fight might as well have been a draw, as close as it was.

Joe Rogan was going apeshit because the unthinkable was happening. Machida was seen as unbeatable at the time and nobody expected Shogun to be competitive let alone win the fight, Joe Rogan became a fan during that commentary because he was surprised as any that Shogun was in the process of defeating Machida. He wasn't showing any favoritism. He was calling the fight the way 90% of the people were seeing it.

They need to keep track of fighter wins separately. Actual and gamblers. Those refs are straight up corrupt. :icon_lol: There should be a UFC/ Strikeforce official and separate ref judgement.

That would be great, have Joe Rogan announce the winner, and then we could all ignore the ac's announcement.:)

Hmz this is getting out of hand.

*WARNING* Conspiricy theory inc

The score cards are that off nowadays (example: 30-27 guilard) and the UFC is complaining vigorously about them, wich they should ofc. Got me thinking that it makes for more risk taking during fights as even tho you dominated for 3-5 rounds you could still lose due to score cards. This will make for more exciting fights ofc. So UFC promoting: "dont leave it in the hands of the judges" and getting backed up by inconsequential judges may very well be a double agenda by the UFC for getting more exciting fights.

Dana White during 155 post presser was very clear: "Rather cut a winning wall and staller then a losing exciting fighter". Reminded everyone it is still a show.

My 2c

Hmz this is getting out of hand.

*WARNING* Conspiricy theory inc

The score cards are that off nowadays (example: 30-27 guilard) and the UFC is complaining vigorously about them, wich they should ofc. Got me thinking that it makes for more risk taking during fights as even tho you dominated for 3-5 rounds you could still lose due to score cards. This will make for more exciting fights ofc. So UFC promoting: "dont leave it in the hands of the judges" and getting backed up by inconsequential judges may very well be a double agenda by the UFC for getting more exciting fights.

Dana White during 155 post presser was very clear: "Rather cut a winning wall and staller then a losing exciting fighter". Reminded everyone it is still a show.

My 2c

Yeah, that isn't happening.

Back