Dana White: "We should just get rid of judges and flip a coin to see who won!!!"

In all honesty I think the rule Dana's suggesting would only make things worse.

Look robberies happen, but so many fans and Dana love to bitch and moan about judges. The blatant fact is that 95% of the time we agree with the judges decision. When judges decide effectively you never hear about Dana tweeting "How about that judging? It was flawless!"

indeed, but i am not sure what your point is, respectfully.

people get upset when other people get murdered in the streets and teh media reports it. teh newspaper wouldnt ever report hat no one was killed or that nothing is newsworthy.

indeed, but i am not sure what your point is, respectfully.

people get upset when other people get murdered in the streets and teh media reports it. teh newspaper wouldnt ever report hat no one was killed or that nothing is newsworthy.

My point is judging is subjective and thus there are going to be some bad judgements and Dana's whining about bad decisions every time like a cry baby make it seem like they are happening more often than the really are, when in fact, most of the time the judging is correct.

This also would eliminate point fighting and all gameplans centered around avoiding the fight towards a decision. It will force fighters to adjust their gameplans from finding ways to win on points to actually finding ways to look for a finish. MMA would be in a much better place and we will finally know, without a shadow of a doubt, who the best fighter on the planet is.

This is ridiculous. GSP has tons of decisions on his record, but he is clearly the better fighter than most of his opponents. Decisions should be decided by judges. If fighters don't want to lose decisions, they need to be better. That is all. Make the judges HAVE to score it for you. GSP does it, why can't others be held responsible for their futures?

This is ridiculous. GSP has tons of decisions on his record, but he is clearly the better fighter than most of his opponents. Decisions should be decided by judges. If fighters don't want to lose decisions, they need to be better. That is all. Make the judges HAVE to score it for you. GSP does it, why can't others be held responsible for their futures?

Ah yes, leave it in the hands of incompetent judges that don't even know what an omaplata is, leave it in the hands of guys who can make as many mistakes as they want and will never be reprehended for it, leave it in the hands of people who will have the commission's full support and will never be reviewed or overturned by the commissions. Yes, let these guys screw up and ruin fighter's livelihoods.

My point is judging is subjective and thus there are going to be some bad judgements and Dana's whining about bad decisions every time like a cry baby make it seem like they are happening more often than the really are, when in fact, most of the time the judging is correct.

Judging is only subjective to a point, and when the scoring gets difficult we expect to have people with a certain level of expertise ringside to make the appropriate decisions.

The fact that they so frequently fuck up obvious decisions is something to be alarmed about, because it means anything resembling a close fight is up in the air.

Ah yes, leave it in the hands of incompetent judges that don't even know what an omaplata is, leave it in the hands of guys who can make as many mistakes as they want and will never be reprehended for it, leave it in the hands of people who will have the commission's full support and will never be reviewed or overturned by the commissions. Yes, let these guys screw up and ruin fighter's livelihoods.

The fighters have at least 15 minutes every fight to decide the fight. If they can't do it, and it goes to the judges, then they better hope they used those 15 minutes to show the judges they were the better and more effective fighter. Noons vs Couture was EXTREMELY close. Noons did NOT prove without a doubt he was the winner of that fight.

Judging is only subjective to a point, and when the scoring gets difficult we expect to have people with a certain level of expertise ringside to make the appropriate decisions.

The fact that they so frequently fuck up obvious decisions is something to be alarmed about, because it means anything resembling a close fight is up in the air.

They aren't fucking it up that often is the point.

It is like violent crime. Violent crime has been reported more and more over the last three decades because violent crime is exciting news. As a result many people are terrified that violent crime is out of control even though in reality violent crime rates have been declining for the last 30 years. Everyone on here is freaking out that judging is terrible when in reality since the beginning of MMA judging has gotten better, and people ignore the fact that most decisions are totally accurate.

Do you think KJ Noons won this fight without any shadow of a doubt, and that there was absolutely no way any competent person could have scored the fight for Couture, even from the judges position?

They aren't fucking it up that often is the point.

It is like violent crime. Violent crime has been reported more and more over the last three decades because violent crime is exciting news. As a result many people are terrified that violent crime is out of control even though in reality violent crime rates have been declining for the last 30 years. Everyone on here is freaking out that judging is terrible when in reality since the beginning of MMA judging has gotten better, and people ignore the fact that most decisions are totally accurate.

I agree with most of this, and when the mistakes happen after close fights I don't often have much to say about it.

My contention is that if something like the Couture decision happens AT ALL, people should complain about it. This wasn't Machida-Shogun, or even Sweden scoring against England in the World Cup. This was a clear decision that was extensively one-sided throughout the better part of 15 minutes (arguably). These kinds of mistakes should not be happening.

Do you think KJ Noons won this fight without any shadow of a doubt, and that there was absolutely no way any competent person could have scored the fight for Couture, even from the judges position?

Not the majority of the rounds, no.

But I was pretty hammered and need to watch it again :p

The fighters have at least 15 minutes every fight to decide the fight. If they can't do it, and it goes to the judges, then they better hope they used those 15 minutes to show the judges they were the better and more effective fighter. Noons vs Couture was EXTREMELY close. Noons did NOT prove without a doubt he was the winner of that fight.

Thanks for proving my point. Noons/couture should be ruled an automatic draw for going to a decision. Neither noons or couture proved they were the better fighter. The fighters can use that 15 minutes to unquestionably show the judges they were the better fighter all they want, the judges will still find a way to screw it up. It has happened on more occasions than I can remember. That's why they need to eliminate the judges and just rule everything a draw if it goes to a decision. We are letting unqualified guys who have no idea what they're watching dictate how fighters make a living. It's just ridiculous at this point and nothing will ever get done to fix it.

It was a close fight kj beat up couture but couture was in the inside ring the whole time that's why he won. I'm not saying he would have one if there wasn't a cage there.

It was a close fight kj beat up couture but couture was in the inside ring the whole time that's why he won. I'm not saying he would have one if there wasn't a cage there.

Yeah, inside getting lit up everytime he tried to throw something. Reason why he won is cause two dumbasses weren't watching the fight.

Thanks for proving my point. Noons/couture should be ruled an automatic draw for going to a decision. Neither noons or couture proved they were the better fighter. The fighters can use that 15 minutes to unquestionably show the judges they were the better fighter all they want, the judges will still find a way to screw it up. It has happened on more occasions than I can remember. That's why they need to eliminate the judges and just rule everything a draw if it goes to a decision. We are letting unqualified guys who have no idea what they're watching dictate how fighters make a living. It's just ridiculous at this point and nothing will ever get done to fix it.

Nobody is letting the judges dictate how the fighters make a living. The fighters have all of the control. You are just being a hater. Jon Fitch and GSP don't seem to have these issues with the judging, even though they have gone to decision for the majority of their UFC careers. They dominate their opponents to take any doubt out of the judges minds.

Counter strikers need to take responsibility for their own actions. They need to realize that it doesn't matter how competent the judges are, they have bad angles to view from and can not see every punch. If you are hoping to win a round because you landed 1 more punch than your opponent, that is on you, not the judges.

It doesn't prove your point at all. It just proves you are being an irrational hater. The judges are not to blame for this decision. They have a crappy set up, especially since the strikes come from so many different angles, they can barely see what hits and what misses. That is why aggressive fighters are going to win stand up fights. Fighters need to accept that, and plan for that. Their futures are in their own hands.

Getting lit up? If we take away the second round, and give that to Noons without a doubt, the striking in the fight was basically even. People are letting the second round weigh too heavily on their mind. Couture won the first round. Noons won the second. The third round was extremely close, and since we can't see the fight from the judges angle, we can't blame them if they got a different result than us.

You guys are ignoring the fact that the angle at which you view a fight changes your perspective big time.

I saw bits and pieces of the fight, the stream I was watching kept having an annoying ad right in the middle of the screen for 30seconds at a time. Seemed a close fight, Couture shocked me - he hung with Noons fairly well! Noons seemed to land the better shots though, the decison was a bit iffy but I didnt have full access to the fight so cant really judge.

Back