Dana White on filming the new TUF: "Nastiest KO, beats Uriah Halls KO, f#cking scary"

The toughest part about watching TUF is hearing guys talk about how they are putting EVERYTHING into MMA for their family's future, then later seeing that they have basically zero potential in the sport.

People need to be more honest with these guys. Its lucerative for a very small percentage of guys, and even then, only for so long.

I hate to say it but that's the truth. In a five year period maybe 10 fighters make > $1 million a year. And of those maybe about 5 will make more than your average welder in a lifetime from MMA. Remember that while $1 million might be a lot but you aren't going to be in MMA for 30 years. Then maybe another 25 will make $100,000+ for the year. Maybe another 50 or so will make over $50,000. The rest are making from $10,000-$49,000 a year and risking brain damage while in the prime of their lives.

I hate to say it but that's the truth. In a five year period maybe 10 fighters make > $1 million a year. And of those maybe about 5 will make more than your average welder in a lifetime from MMA. Remember that while $1 million might be a lot but you aren't going to be in MMA for 30 years. Then maybe another 25 will make $100,000+ for the year. Maybe another 50 or so will make over $50,000. The rest are making from $10,000-$49,000 a year and risking brain damage while in the prime of their lives.

There is more to going into a profession than how much you stand to make (lifetime). If these guys didn't think it was right for them, they wouldn't be doing it. And I disagree with your decision to calculate MMA fighter pay as compared to a lifetime of work. Once you are done with MMA you are free to become a welder if you so choose, etc. Making a million dollars in a year is a lot of money. Period. The fact that other athletes are making more doing other sports doesn't mean fighters are being victimized. Professional athletes shouldn't be super rich in my book, actually. What makes you think they should?

I kind of think that based on the fighters' reactions that Spohn's KO was softened in the editing process. A lot of people present said that the KO was absolutely brutal. No one watching from home was particularly impressed.

There is more to going into a profession than how much you stand to make (lifetime). If these guys didn't think it was right for them, they wouldn't be doing it. And I disagree with your decision to calculate MMA fighter pay as compared to a lifetime of work. Once you are done with MMA you are free to become a welder if you so choose, etc. Making a million dollars in a year is a lot of money. Period. The fact that other athletes are making more doing other sports doesn't mean fighters are being victimized. Professional athletes shouldn't be super rich in my book, actually. What makes you think they should?

Well typically after doing 5-10 years of baseball you aren't going to have brain damage 10 years later. In MMA it seems there is a good chance you will to some degree. You may also have other injuries. $1 million seems like a lot but not when the hospital bills for your brain damage start rolling in. And most fighters won't make $1 million in their entire MMA career even if they are around for 5-10 years.

I'm a fan. I like seeing the fights. But let's not lie and say this is a great deal for people with other prospects. It's not. It's a huge gamble where most lose.

The toughest part about watching TUF is hearing guys talk about how they are putting EVERYTHING into MMA for their family's future, then later seeing that they have basically zero potential in the sport.

People need to be more honest with these guys. Its lucerative for a very small percentage of guys, and even then, only for so long.

Makes me fucking cringe every time I hear the TUF fighters say this shit.
"I have a family, kids, I quit my job for this.." Then get's ko'd first round.
You have a wife and kid and you quit your job for MMA your an irresponsible loser.

RIno.gif

Still the nastiest in Tuf History. Halls had the flair and Spohns had the dramatic. However Riddles was simply brutal. If you havent seen the fight take a look.

The noises that came after the KO were the scariest part.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back