News Dana White Adresses the NYE Incident: "Don't Defend Me... I Was Wrong.".

What should happen with Dana White?

• Total voters
Many of us may hate Dana but he addressed it probably as well as he could in the moment, whether you guys think it's solely PR or not. If he's sincere, he now needs to work on himself going forward and be better, however he does it. He's right, he's now a 'woman beater'. He should not have hit her period. Behind closed doors he has to deal with his family, and his kids who are anywhere from children to young adults. That's more important than the UFC in all reality.

He is wrong. He shouldn't have done that. Their dirty laundry is out there and even more so he's correct, don't defend him. You shouldn't.

Good points. There are next steps that I’m sure are in the works and they are figuring out the best way to implement them. Likely a donation to a domestic violence organization, as well as either a voluntary stepping down for a month or two if he doesn’t get downright suspended by WME. Anything less will not be enough, and they should do it sooner rather than later. To wait longer (it’s already taken longer than it should have) would create another story and retelling of the incident. They need to suspend Dana now so it’s part of the same news cycle/story and not a whole new one.

of course he is going to say that... because he is a good Dad.

I agree with the gist of your post on the PR angle but family is absolutely not more important to Dana family. You don't 1, bring your sidechick on a company jet to Brazil, and 2, be so sloppy as to get caught doing so, if you value your family over the wealthy our job brings in.

Hey, maybe this is a come to jesus moment for Dana, but the idea that he operates by the same values and incentives as normal Joe Schmo when he built his fortunate in a flesh trade fundamentally based off exploitation is like expecting the owner of a brothel to be some saint.

None of us know that it isn't for a fact. That's speculation. I would venture a guess his children are much more important to him than anyone else. Proof? Look at how much he spent on snow for his driveway and his kids to play in that one Christmas.

<seedat>

All jokes aside, what else should he have done? Resigned? Told everyone to fuck off? If he isn't stepping down or being forced aside, he conducted that interview as best he could and took full responsibility.

Good points. There are next steps that I’m sure are in the works and they are figuring out the best way to implement them. Likely a donation to a domestic violence organization, as well as either a voluntary stepping down for a month or two if he doesn’t get downright suspended by WME. Anything less will not be enough, and they should do it sooner rather than later. To wait longer (it’s already taken longer than it should have) would create another story and retelling of the incident. They need to suspend Dana now so it’s part of the same news cycle/story and not a whole new one.

That isn't for us to decide. That's on WMG and ESPN. If Dana donates a quarter million to a rights cause, then good because they definitely need the money more than he does. At face value, just based off this interview, he handled it well. Hopefully he gets his shit together for his kids and his wife if she sticks around. I'm going to watch the fights regardless at the end of the day.

None of us know that it isn't for a fact. That's speculation. I would venture a guess his children are much more important to him than anyone else. Proof? Look at how much he spent on snow for his driveway and his kids to play in that one Christmas.

<seedat>

All jokes aside, what else should he have done? Resigned? Told everyone to fuck off? If he isn't stepping down or being forced aside, he conducted that interview as best he could and took full responsibility.
Yeah, from the start my money was on WME not doing anything unless the video led to even more things surfacing. Doesn't mean I like it, but that's par for the course in this day and age. I don't really have anything I would have personally wanted. I don't think this incident really surprised anyone who follows the sport or knows Dana. Put it this way, if you were a fan of Dana, I doubt this drove you away, or vice versa to a lesser extent.

I think my main point was just too many people like to pretend that multimillionaires and billionaires act the same as they do or have the same values. Not saying one is better or worse, but Dana lives in a world that is fundamentally different than 99 percent of the mma fan base, with different rules and yada yada.

I will say that I've seen the UFC fumble the PR bag way worse than this. Not sure the improvement is a win, but it's definitely there.

Edit: Also he definitely didn't take full responsibility. Notice how he makes no mention of what this mysterious incident is that he is suffering from. That's PR 101, not contrition.

As with most online shitstorms, the idea of 'defending someone or condemning someone' is placed forth as some binary perspective that rarely captures reality.

If someone says "He hit a women, off with his head". You might say, "Whoa I think that punishment is too severe for what actually happened". Is that a defense? I don't think so.

There are those who downplay, and those who overplay, and those who attempt to find a sane place in between.

But anyways, it's best not to read in too deeply to public statements most likely said with PR in mind.

Yes, Dana, the excruciating knowledge of your own moral transgression is far worse than stepping down.

Dana "Crime and Punishment" White, ladies and gentlemen

For some it might be, especially considering he's in the public eye and everyone knows his business. It isn't like a regular Joe who is just vilified in his social circle and immediate family. Everyone knows his shit now.

He’s not sorry, he’s sorry it was on tape and the public knows.

How do you know he isn't sorry? Speculation. I don't know if he is or isn't. We can't come to a worthwhile conclusion in regards to this.

Yeah, from the start my money was on WME not doing anything unless the video led to even more things surfacing. Doesn't mean I like it, but that's par for the course in this day and age. I don't really have anything I would have personally wanted. I don't think this incident really surprised anyone who follows the sport or knows Dana. Put it this way, if you were a fan of Dana, I doubt this drove you away, or vice versa to a lesser extent.

I think my main point was just too many people like to pretend that multimillionaires and billionaires act the same as they do or have the same values. Not saying one is better or worse, but Dana lives in a world that is fundamentally different than 99 percent of the mma fan base, with different rules and yada yada.

I will say that I've seen the UFC fumble the PR bag way worse than this. Not sure the improvement is a win, but it's definitely there.

Millionaires and billionaires get away with a lot worse than this. Every. Single. Day. Just look at the laws passed in regards to the chemicals allowed in your food. I digress - Dana more than likely isn't going to be suspended. If so, he deserves it.

Millionaires and billionaires get away with a lot worse than this. Every. Single. Day. Just look at the laws passed in regards to the chemicals allowed in your food. I digress - Dana more than likely isn't going to be suspended. If so, he deserves it.
Also if it hasn't been mentioned before, Ari is kind of a bro douche. He may look down at Dana given the Emmanuel family background but they probably do have similar vibes with being a douche lol.

My favorite part is him trying to spin that him leaving the company would be bad for the fighters.

"If I'm not here to steal money from the fighters that's actually bad for them. Champs might not be making 60 to show anymore. And undercard fighters might be making more than 6k a fight. Believe me, it would be bad for them if I left. "

<seedat>

Would a guy whose kids were more important to him than ANYTHING have been out gambling into the small hours with one of the fuckin Nelk Boys within days of making what he claims to be one of the biggest mistakes of his life by slapping and stomping on their mother in public?

(Sorry that came off a bit confrontational and I think you’re making good points, I just do not believe a fuckin word Dana is saying about his feelings on any of this)

My favorite part is him trying to spin that him leaving the company would be bad for the fighters.

"If I'm not here to steal money from the fighters that's actually bad for them. Champs might not be making 60 to show anymore. And undercard fighters might be making more than 6k a fight. Believe me, it would be bad for them if I left. "

You realize he's not working the books anymore, right? You may want to shit on Hunter Campbell and Joe Silva over this. Silva was the original guy who was fucking fighters over in regards to money. It's clearly stated in the fighter lawsuit. It's now Hunter Campbell. I doubt Dana cares, but he isn't the one offering the deals.

Would a guy whose kids were more important to him than ANYTHING have been out gambling into the small hours with one of the fuckin Nelk Boys within days of making what he claims to be one of the biggest mistakes of his life by slapping and stomping on their mother in public?

I have plenty of friends who care deeply about their children that went out on NYE and got drunk or go to Vegas a couple times a year without their kids. A couple also have wealthy friends and have given extravagant gifts to them for birthdays. I'll now alert them that they really don't care about their kids and they're horrible parents. Also, babysitters or family members watching kids doesn't exist.

Back