Dana White Admits: "This IS The Ronda Rousey Show, This Could Last 1 Year Or Forever"

Not if more stars are created.

Ronda is being used to test the waters, but if more girls come in and prove to be exciting to watch and the fans warm to them...then WMMA will be here for good in the UFC.

Damn good point.....& that is entirely possible.....:icon_chee

The problem is that even most hardcore MMA fans only follow female fighters that are hot.

If a non attractive champ becomes dominant, interest will wain and women's MMA will be relegated to the minor leagues.

Exactly this. Which is why I think the only way it's really going to work and not be a sideshow spectacle is with a strong female fan base.

I don't think she'll make 135. She was pretty big at 145 wasnt she?

She will never make 135 again......hell 3 of her last 5 fights at 145 she came in heavy everytime & they gave her a bye.....such bullshit...I was happy as hell when the "manling" Cyborg whipped her sorry, overweight ass!:icon_chee

that's not the whole story. Conditions have opened the door to WMMA. This is an opportunity for DW, the UFC and RR.

What he's really saying is that the UFC is going to spend a year testing WMMA. At the end of a year, if people are willing to buy cards, WMMA will remain in the UFC.

AKA Dana's out to drop WMMA

"It was Ronda's show & she couldn't deliver"

at least he's honest?

Ronda by rondarmbar. I'd go straight for her, she's awesome.

Ronda has opened the door for WMMA in the UFC, but it will be up to all the girls that follow her to help keep that door open.

No pressure. But sounds like this is do or die. Every single woman that enters the UFC better prepare for putting on the show of their lifetime. I personally would really hate to see this come and go.

If you fight Rousey and get arm-barred in the first round... At this moment it's a given and I wouldn't fault anyone getting subbed by her. But if you are fighting for #1 contender, then by all means, these girls better fucking beat the shit out of each other in the cage.

I respect Dana for being blunt.

Lawl at anyone who thought otherwise

But if you are fighting for #1 contender, then by all means, these girls better fucking beat the shit out of each other in the cage.

It's troubling that instead of signing a bunch of fighters to make up a real division, that Dana signed one fight (and made it a PPV headliner no less). If there was a real possibility of this being just a oneoff experiment, then why give Ronda a UFC title belt - which implies equivalency of importance with the men's titles? He could have just made it a "special attraction" on a card to guage popularity. He seems all over the place on this.

Translation: we're just stealing from Invicta while it's worth it to do so.

Ronda is the show... for now. More people will emerge as contenders and favorites. People talk about how WMMA has no fight other than Rousey/Cyborg (which will still likely happen.) Carmouche is happening. McMann will likely happen with one more win. Tate needs one more win. That's three at least four semi-viable challengers just right this second. Coenen. That's five. Hell, that's more than half the divisions have.

And what if UFC buys Invicta or something? Or at the very least has their top fighters jump ship. WMMA has a shot. If Carmouche comes out and loses but puts on a good effort or even gets to round 2, people are gonna wanna see her again.

Liz Carmouche has a 2 fight win streak against fighters that are a combined 8-9. She's lost to every proven top fighter put in front of her.

If that's your definition of a semi-viable challenger then no in fact every single mens division including SHW has way more worthy, proven fighters then that.

Marloes and Liz have already lost to girls Ronda beat inside of like 3 minutes. Boith have lsot by sub in the not too distant past by girls not as good as Ronda.

it's a desperate cry for ratings, and won't last for more than a couple fights IMO.

no pressure on ronda then? lol i'd f'n laugh if she walked onto something

I think the fact that there's been a marginal downward spiral since the network deal with FOX has got Dana flailing a bit. The more desperate you get the more willing you are to try things.

Back