Dana just set the sport way back

Fights like lawler vs macdonald probably took years off Rory's "career" and he reportedly only got payed $50,000.
and how much did Rory make on his follow up contract?

kinda sounds like he made good on his opportunity

The entire structure of the UFC is meant to fuck over the fighters. The sponsorship money is garbage unless you have like 20 fights in the UFC, and it still isn't good. The UFC knows statistically a tiny tiny percentage of fighters will ever make it to 20 fights. The UFC designed the system so that the average sponsorship payout across the board is probably about 5k. This means more money for them.

Secondly the contracts are designed to always pay you what you were worth and never what you are worth. If you sign a 5 fight contract, and you blow up in popularity, you will never reap the rewards of that until your next contract. If you're suddenly a huge star and you're on a 15/15k contract, you're shit out of luck. The UFC benefits from your stardom, but you don't until your contract expires.

If you try to renegotiate your contract, the UFC will try and fuck you over by offering you shitty fights, or offering you fights while they know you're injured and cant accept, so they can extend your contract an extra 6 months and shelve you. Once you're starving you will be forced to accept anything they offer you.

Most of the "but you get paid what you're worth folks" don't know any of what you posted.

ONE FC is the future. Believe you me, buddeh.

<Goldie11>

I'm pretty sure dana is kicking himself for letting dj go....he got askren, who's no longer even fighting, after getting ko'd and then submitted...while dj has gone undefeated and is about to fight for the title again.

This might be the dumbest thing I've ever heard Dana say, what better way to scare off potential talent and high level athletes than by saying that fighting in the UFC isn't a career? Not only that but alot of fighters are complaining about the paycheck (Jones, Masvidal, etc.) What did Dana expect to happen after this? Fights like lawler vs macdonald probably took years off Rory's "career" and he reportedly only got payed $50,000.
bellator is dead sucks to be you

This might be the dumbest thing I've ever heard Dana say, what better way to scare off potential talent and high level athletes than by saying that fighting in the UFC isn't a career? Not only that but alot of fighters are complaining about the paycheck (Jones, Masvidal, etc.) What did Dana expect to happen after this? Fights like lawler vs macdonald probably took years off Rory's "career" and he reportedly only got payed $50,000.
If you fight in the UFC 3 times for 16K/16K then get cut, that's not a career... Fight sports have always been that way. It's only a career for the very elite.

Well, It is a career technically.

For most fighters though, it involves: Pretending to be world famous, do media interviews, sign autographs, sign away the rights to your likeness all for waaaay less than you imagined.

And then when it's all done, you get to be a Postmates driver.

Well, It is a career technically.

For most fighters though, it involves: Pretending to be world famous, do media interviews, sign autographs, sign away the rights to your likeness all for waaaay less than you imagined.

And then when it's all done, you get to be a Postmates driver.
It's like that for everyone. Most pro "careers" in any sport are like 2-3 years long unless you're the elite. That's not a career. No one works 2-3 years then gets to retire for the rest of their lives. That's absurd. The elite in MMA stay in the UFC for like 10 years too, and they also have "career" money.

Well that's nothing new, really. This is an issue that is getting more exposure as of late, because some big names that seemingly had no other beef with the UFC are speaking out, but so many people have been vocal about this, and for so many years. That's the reason Randy left, and he talks about it quite a lot in "Becoming the Natural", which he wrote after beating Sylvia and before re-signing with the UFC to fight Lesnar.

At the time, people said that was because he was bitter, was in conflict with the UFC, etc, that he was a crybaby, that he was making very reasonable money. Pretty much the same shit that we hear from some sherdoggers even now.

For Dana to say that this is not a career, but an opportunity, that's quite a spit in the face of numerous fighters who've spent almost their entire career on the roster, or have taken part of key events that were very pivotal in the UFC's rise.

I'm pretty sure dana is kicking himself for letting dj go....he got askren, who's no longer even fighting, after getting ko'd and then submitted...while dj has gone undefeated and is about to fight for the title again.
Ummmmm I seriously doubt he regrets getting rid of DJ. Going undefeated doesn't mean shit if nobodies watching. 10 times more people tuned in to watch Askren, and he was a lay and pray type fighter. Although I consider DJ as one of the best to ever fight, only die hards wanted to watch him fight

Dana's a complete idiot.

DizzyFloweryKakarikis-size_restricted.gif

Ummmmm I seriously doubt he regrets getting rid of DJ. Going undefeated doesn't mean shit if nobodies watching. 10 times more people tuned in to watch Askren, and he was a lay and pray type fighter. Although I consider DJ as one of the best to ever fight, only die hards wanted to watch him fight

short term maybe...but askren is now retired...while dj is about to be a world champion again, if he wins...it was a stupid decision...I think if they paid him more, he would have fought anyone they wanted him too...but they wouldn't...he's certainly not afraid to fight. he just wanted to be paid, as a long time champion...i can guarantee, he's making more money at one championship, than in the ufc.

Most of the "but you get paid what you're worth folks" don't know any of what you posted.
i had no idea that contracts don't automatically reset during the terms of the contract based on changing popularity.

but fighters do negotiate additional bout agreements if they do blow up in popularity or take a higher profile fight. nate diaz got 500k to fight conor the first time. that was not his "contract".

obviously some of the stuff silva did he shouldn't have done. it's likely the transparency from the lawsuit has forced them to change some of the practices, and its likely some of the practices were not as rampant as presented by plaintiff's lawyers.

Slowly and sadly. Just like boxing in the 00s, greed eventually deteriorates everything.

the fertitta's were far more greedy than wme......(not inherently, but with respect to running the ufc). because they could be.....

Well that's nothing new, really. This is an issue that is getting more exposure as of late, because some big names that seemingly had no other beef with the UFC are speaking out, but so many people have been vocal about this, and for so many years. That's the reason Randy left, and he talks about it quite a lot in "Becoming the Natural", which he wrote after beating Sylvia and before re-signing with the UFC to fight Lesnar.

At the time, people said that was because he was bitter, was in conflict with the UFC, etc, that he was a crybaby, that he was making very reasonable money. Pretty much the same shit that we hear from some sherdoggers even now.

For Dana to say that this is not a career, but an opportunity, that's quite a spit in the face of numerous fighters who've spent almost their entire career on the roster, or have taken part of key events that were very pivotal in the UFC's rise.
every industry will have contract disputes. every single one. individuals will look for ways to get more if they think they deserve more. in every sport. in all walks of life. people will use whatever leverage they have. they should.

i'd assume dana would say the ones who spent their career on the roster and became financially secure from their time in the ufc are the ones who took advantage of the opportunity and made it their career.

fighters do need to recognize and understand the window is pretty small and they need to do what is in their interests longer term. maybe sitting out is in their interest. maybe asking for more is in their interest. maybe it's not.....

The entire structure of the UFC is meant to fuck over the fighters. The sponsorship money is garbage unless you have like 20 fights in the UFC, and it still isn't good. The UFC knows statistically a tiny tiny percentage of fighters will ever make it to 20 fights. The UFC designed the system so that the average sponsorship payout across the board is probably about 5k. This means more money for them.

Secondly the contracts are designed to always pay you what you were worth and never what you are worth. If you sign a 5 fight contract, and you blow up in popularity, you will never reap the rewards of that until your next contract. If you're suddenly a huge star and you're on a 15/15k contract, you're shit out of luck. The UFC benefits from your stardom, but you don't until your contract expires.

If you try to renegotiate your contract, the UFC will try and fuck you over by offering you shitty fights, or offering you fights while they know you're injured and cant accept, so they can extend your contract an extra 6 months and shelve you. Once you're starving you will be forced to accept anything they offer you.
So your first point completely amounts to the reebok deal which will soon be ending and we don't know how they will move on.

Your second point is complete bullshit, no one is asking for renegotiation clauses. The UFC has no obligation to renegotiate a contract because someone gets a little popular. Also what about the fighters that are actually mediocre but get tons of fans. Do you think that is "fair" to the fighters? Why must the UFC try to be honorable when fighters aren't even willing to honor their contracts.

Your third point again amounts to fighters not honoring contracts and somehow the UFC is the bad guy because the independent contractors are fickle.

I can't stand reading this shit anymore, you signed the fucking contract you honor the fucking contract. If are worried about finnancial security maybe you should go get a real career. I have no sympathy for knuckle draggers who are too stupid to negotiate when the contract is on the table, these fighters always wait until the ink is dry. Why? Because they damn well know they aren't worth it.

Meanwhile Bellator is still paying fighters $1500 to fight.

Back