Dana doesn't want to give a dime to his stars

Usually I question the fighter's priorities when they bring up money while refusing to fight.

Kinda different when its multiple big names all expressing the same discontent at the same time.
Seems like the suits will need to address this mutinous momentum with something other than a
"Take or leave it" attitude
Agreed 100%. I hope more fighters that are discontent speak up as well.
This issue really needs to be addressed when you have Cejudo, Masvidal, Jones, and now Conor not happy with the UFC brass.

Let your contract expire. See how much you're worth on the open market. Independent promoters will give you a bigger slice if they can make money just like what happens in boxing.

I think if the UFC is to be viewed as a major brand sport. The fighters need to make that happen for themselves. They have the power to do it.. But they need to come together on it.. Tennis and Golf could do it. This is not impossible..
i asked if it's been done. you said it HAS to happen in 10 years..........

the ufc being viewed as a major brand sport (i think you mean org) isn't predicated on a union.

i asked if it's been done. you said it HAS to happen in 10 years..........

the ufc being viewed as a major brand sport (i think you mean org) isn't predicated on a union.

Of course it has NOT been done. Do you want a cookie or something? A precedent has yet to be set. That can be said about anything.. Name it.. If the UFC is going to keep grossing bigger numbers on PPV than Boxing, and not pay the main event stars even half as much that is a problem. The ESPN Deal is another way to cover up the money. You notice how no PPV numbers are ever reported anymore? UFC did NOT officially release them. But the numbers got out.. Now nobody has a clue.. The fighters would have to be on the same page..

And No I did not mean Organization.. I said Brand because I am talking about how marketable/attractive it is to young athletes. Treatment/fair compensation, all factor into what sports young athletes choose..

Let your contract expire. See how much you're worth on the open market. Independent promoters will give you a bigger slice if they can make money just like what happens in boxing.
Except that boxing has the Ali act, federal law that limits what promoters can get away with in terms of exclusivity.
Also, boxing's revenue splits are waaaaay more favorable than 20% for the athletes.

I'm with you as far as "Then dont fight, test free agency and let them compete for you."
But that would require the UFC to willingly release you.

I'm sure that many of these money disputes will dissipate once live crowds return. I think Dana is doing his best to mitigate their funds until then.
Hopefully they get it all figured out.

It wouldn't come as a surprise if a new Fighter's Association would be formed with Conor as the spokesperson, Ronda jumping in, Jones and other stars being on board. It's the only way to make a collective agreement. It could lead to a 60/40 revenue split at best for starters. 50/50 being more down the road.

Because the regular casual fan won't watch garbage forever. Most of us will watch all cards, at least some of them, but the masses won't. This leads to decrease in viewership, so the suits are forced to agree to balance loss of viewers.

Of course it has NOT been done. Do you want a cookie or something? A precedent has yet to be set. That can be said about anything.. Name it.. If the UFC is going to keep grossing bigger numbers on PPV than Boxing, and not pay the main event stars even half as much that is a problem. The ESPN Deal is another way to cover up the money. You notice how no PPV numbers are ever reported anymore? UFC did NOT officially release them. But the numbers got out.. Now nobody has a clue.. The fighters would have to be on the same page..

And No I did not mean Organization.. I said Brand because I am talking about how marketable/attractive it is to young athletes. Treatment/fair compensation, all factor into what sports young athletes choose..
You were implying that all sports have unions but now you acknowledge it’s only all team sports.

and I’m curious what conditions would lead young athletes to choose mma and what sport they are choosing it over and why.

It wouldn't come as a surprise if a new Fighter's Association would be formed with Conor as the spokesperson, Ronda jumping in, Jones and other stars being on board. It's the only way to make a collective agreement. It could lead to a 60/40 revenue split at best for starters. 50/50 being more down the road.

Because the regular casual fan won't watch garbage forever. Most of us will watch all cards, at least some of them, but the masses won't. This leads to decrease in viewership, so the suits are forced to agree to balance loss of viewers.
What would earnings be with a 50/50 split and what type of return does that imply for their investors?

What would earnings be with a 50/50 split and what type of return does that imply for their investors?
I doubt it would work for their current investors.

Why is anyone defending the UFC with the trash cards they have coming up? This is what happens when the UFC cheaps out every time. Titles are rarely defended now, big fighters rarely fight, etc.

Really shows how dumb the average person on here is to defend practices that make it worse to be a UFC fan.

I doubt it would work for their current investors.
well, that is who they have to deal with. they have to answer that question for any investor.

well, that is who they have to deal with. they have to answer that question for any investor.
New ones would come and/or old ones would bend. It's not a new model. The 80/20 split doesn't look to be sustainable. Unless they want to bank on prospects carrying their promotion, who agree to peanuts.

New ones would come and/or old ones would bend. It's not a new model. The 80/20 split doesn't look to be sustainable. Unless they want to bank on prospects carrying their promotion, who agree to peanuts.
but we still have to answer those questions before we can say what split can work. it has to work for all sides.

we will ultimately see what is sustainable and how market forces play in. the fighters have other places to fight.

I'm with you, Sean is appropriately paid as of now, all things considered.

And I'm not in favor of just asking for more money just bc "oh well, why not try?"
Be a workhorse and earn your bump in pay.

But zuffa/wme seem to relish any opportunity they have to "punk" a fighter bc they legally can.
I don't see why they can't sit down with these guys and come up with something that everyone is satisfied with.

They dont need to just fork over more cash bc that's a bad precedent to set.
At the same time, they can't keep underpaying everyone the way they are now.

Every time you see someone on a main card with a 5-2 record (more and more common nowadays) you can reasonably conclude that their "take it or leave it" hustle is to blame
100% they keep taking subpar fighters and keeping them bc they are cheap and happy as hell to fight for 25k. Some fighters have shitty records that are worth keeping like matt brown and Michael Johnson.

but we still have to answer those questions before we can say what split can work. it has to work for all sides.

we will ultimately see what is sustainable and how market forces play in. the fighters have other places to fight.
Investors look at growth potential. So it comes back to stars no matter which model is in place. The UFC has built a lasting infrastructure to be the leader. It makes more sense to budge on revenue than give up their stars to a smaller org. There is no longevity in that.

Investors look at growth potential. So it comes back to stars no matter which model is in place. The UFC has built a lasting infrastructure to be the leader. It makes more sense to budge on revenue than give up their stars to a smaller org. There is no longevity in that.
well, i don't think letting their stars walk to smaller orgs is an option.

but their stars are locked into contracts and they can sit out if they choose. ufc doesn't want that and we'll see where sides settle. but it's not about overall revenue split. it's about specific fighters wanting more money and they don't care what others make......

well, i don't think letting their stars walk to smaller orgs is an option.

but their stars are locked into contracts and they can sit out if they choose. ufc doesn't want that and we'll see where sides settle. but it's not about overall revenue split. it's about specific fighters wanting more money and they don't care what others make......
They care more about themselves than the common good, but maybe ironically pulling together would benefit them more since it looks like they're stuck at the table.

Masvidal has been a star for like 3 minutes. Just lol at him begging for more money.

You were implying that all sports have unions but now you acknowledge it’s only all team sports.

and I’m curious what conditions would lead young athletes to choose mma and what sport they are choosing it over and why.
I pretty much laid that out already. The conditions are fair treatment and proper salaries. You’re not going to get that under the current terms and conditions of these independent contracts and the monopoly that is the UFC. If I can choose a sport with a more guaranteed contract regardless of my level of play, obviously I would make that choice over the UFC model that basically pays me whatever they want, depending on a variety of factors that usually favor only the UFC.

Back