Dan Henderson has DROPPED all of his 6 most recent opponents, at least ONCE

Jay Jay

Blue Belt
Reaction score
vs. Rua: Hendo bloodied up Shogun pretty good in Rd 1 and almost murdered Shogun in Rd 3

ufc-139-full-fight-dan-henderson-vs-shogun-rua_crop_340x234.jpg

vs. Fedor: Fedor lost his consciousness momentarily thanks to Hendo's monstrous power
2a9qy68.gif

vs. Feijao: Viciously dropped Feijao in Rd 3. People also overlook the fact that Hendo was handily outwrestling Feijao in the clinch prior to that emphatic finish
method=get&s=feijao-dan-henderson-gif.gif

vs. Babalu: Knocked out Babalu with brutal GnP
henbob.gif

vs. Shields: Knocked down Jake Shields twice in Rd 1 while also stuffing every single Shields TD attempt. Unfortunately, an ill-advised RNC attempt on Shields (a *NO* *NO* against Shields unless your BJJ is elite) in Rd 2 spells Hendo's demise in that fight - in addition to Hendo's back issues going into that fight
Henderson-vs-Shields.gif

vs. Bisping: Enough said
hendo-bisping.gif

What am I trying to say here?

Given Hendo's consistent history of DROPPING his opponents, it's very plausible that he lands something devastating against Machida. Many people bring up Lyoto's elusiveness, but for a guy whose striking is so lauded, Lyoto's hands are too low and his chin is unguarded when he darts in and out. I can understand pegging Machida as a slight-to-moderate favorite, but I do not understand those who think it's going to be a walk in the park for Machida.

And if Hendo somehow lands, I don't see Lyoto survivng the onslaught the way Rua or Shields managed to do. And I feel Jake was extremely lucky in that fight from the standpoint of surviving. Surviving TWO KNOCKDOWNS against a killer like Hendo? Are you kidding? Probabilistically speaking, Shields doesn't make it out of that first round more often than not.

Last edited:
It's not just being elusive, Machida is also fast.

History, you're right, has shown that Hendo lands. And will he land against Machida, you bet your whiskers he will. Will it be enough to put the sly fighter away, dunno?

War Hendo.

Ah, it's a shame, I would like to see both Machida and Hendo fight Jones.

Hate to be Debbie Downer but if I remember correctly Babalu never got dropped, he went for a single
h.gif

I have saved the day

They're independent events.

That is an invalid and idiotic claim.

Everyone knows about hendos right hand, but Machida should win this fight

I agree with the OP, and if Hendo lands I don't think Machida survives, but unfortunately I just have a bad feeling about this one. I'm afraid we see Hendo finished for the first time. Sure hope I'm wrong.

Shogun is a brawler. Fedor swings wildly. Babalu is more of a grappler. Shields' striking is not good.

That leaves Bisping and Feijao as the primarily strikers. Bisping kept circling towards Hendo's best punch, and showed Machida and everyone else what NOT to do in a fight with Hendo.

Machida is the best striker that Hendo has faced in years. It doesn't mean that Hendo isn't going to land his one true punch; just that Machida's footwork and stand-up are on a different level than Hendo's previous 6 opponents.

Machida rocked his last four opponents Bader, Jones, Couture, and Rampage. Actually, aside from Shogun, Machida has rocked all of his UFC opponents, IIRC. What does this tell us?

Machida rocked his last four opponents Bader, Jones, Couture, and Rampage. Actually, aside from Shogun, Machida has rocked all of his UFC opponents, IIRC. What does this tell us?

It tells us that Lyoto only finishes 2 out of 4 opponents that he rocks.

Good observation. Machida does have one of the highest knock down rates in UFC history as well, according to Fightmetric.

What does it tell us?

They are both monsters with massive firepower. And for this reason, I see one of them getting dropped at some point. In Lyoto's case, he has less margin for error because his durability isn't as good as Hendo's

Shogun is a brawler. Fedor swings wildly. Babalu is more of a grappler. Shields' striking is not good.

That leaves Bisping and Feijao as the primarily strikers. Bisping kept circling towards Hendo's best punch, and showed Machida and everyone else what NOT to do in a fight with Hendo.

Machida is the best striker that Hendo has faced in years. It doesn't mean that Hendo isn't going to land his one true punch; just that Machida's footwork and stand-up are on a different level than Hendo's previous 6 opponents.

Pretty much this, Machida is quite a bi better not just overall than Hendo's past opponents but specifically in not getting hit.

Fedor and Shogun used to get hit much less often, with Fedor once having even better elusiveness than Machida and Shogun at one point landed 4 strikes for every 1 strike his opponents landed on him but in recent years both have taken beatings.

I remember when TRT Henderson almost killed Bustamante. Also, wonder how Iceman / TRT Hendo would have been.

However you justify this, I still see the fight being worst possible choice for Hendo.

Machida has very good TDD and his striking should easily shut down Hendos one dimensional inside legkick to right overhand combo.

Not saying the KO wont happen by Hendo, but it is very very unlikely.

They're independent events.

That is an invalid and idiotic claim.

sorry to say this is true.

lol... what???

he is referring to a statistical axiom often misnomered as "Gambler's ruin",

meaning, just because you saw dice rolled double 4's 6 times in a row,

does not mean in a new separate event they are likely to roll doube 4's again,

as certain variables (e.g.- Machida's style) have been introduced to the experiment.

Back