Dan Gable tribute discussion

jludley said:
Oklahoma is definetly the best at this point Iowa used to hold that title back when Gable was head coach Im sorry though Gable still has to be hands down the best wrestler of all time. I think Iowa held that title for 9 or 10 yrs

Actually Oklahoma St. is the #1 team right now

Oh and by the way I did this just to prove my point check the records again at the top of the thread or just do a search and you will see that Gable has all of them beat with the best wrestling record so next time check your resources before you make dumb comments.

As far as high school goes, Iowa isn't all that great for wrestling. Both ISU and Iowa are in the top 10 in NCAA this year though (and pretty much every year). As far as great wrestlers go....Cael Sanderson. I had the privelage of going to ISU with him and got to watch him wrestle. The dude is just unreal on the mat and one hell of a nice guy. Very approachable and has 0 ego. A class act.

satchmo said:
Actually Oklahoma St. is the #1 team right now

Is it oklahoma state I knew it was Oklahoma somethin right now.

Iowa said:
As far as high school goes, Iowa isn't all that great for wrestling. Both ISU and Iowa are in the top 10 in NCAA this year though (and pretty much every year). As far as great wrestlers go....Cael Sanderson. I had the privelage of going to ISU with him and got to watch him wrestle. The dude is just unreal on the mat and one hell of a nice guy. Very approachable and has 0 ego. A class act.

where at in Iowa you from

Diligent said:
Yeah, man. I've already pre-ordered my first season disc set, so I should be getting a call from then by the 12'th of Dec.. :D

Yes, so have I. :D

As for Gable being the best, he isn't. People are always saying how he won the Olympics without giving up a point, but Karelin did it twice in a row. Went a decade without being scored on. So Karelin is atleas the best Greco-Roman wrestler without a doubt.
Gable was a great freestyler but if you've ever seen Bouvasia Saitiev wrestle I think you might just change your mind. Last year he tooled the guy in the finals at the Olympics 7-0. I saw him score over 20 points against a wrestler in a match at the worlds.

Wrestler_Piper said:
As for Gable being the best, he isn't. People are always saying how he won the Olympics without giving up a point, but Karelin did it twice in a row. Went a decade without being scored on. So Karelin is atleas the best Greco-Roman wrestler without a doubt.
Gable was a great freestyler but if you've ever seen Bouvasia Saitiev wrestle I think you might just change your mind. Last year he tooled the guy in the finals at the Olympics 7-0. I saw him score over 20 points against a wrestler in a match at the worlds.

Im not taking anything away from Bouvasia Saitiev but his record is nothing like Gables it will take him a while to get there and Gable tooled almost everyone he wrestled I dont really understand why any one is trying to argue this. I created this thread for a props to gable not a he's better then gable thread but your opinions are welcomed but they have nothing to back them up yeah we can name great wrestlers all day long but Gable is the best in my opinion.
Gable
299-6-3 from highschool to retirement

You need to understand, jludley, that high school and college wrestling is different from freestyle. High school/college wrestling is folkstyle, and the USA is pretty much the only country that uses it. Thus, you can't use his high school and college record when talking about the best wrestlers on the planet.

Besides, the guys that I listed dominated the best guys in the world for YEARS. Gable did not, and his reputation, while some of it has certainly been earned, is mostly hype. Was he an excellent wrestler? Without question. Was he dominant on the international scene? Not like the guys I listed.

You do know that the Olympics isn't the only international wrestling event, right?

Please remove yourself from Gable's jock as soon as possible.

You do know that the Olympics isn't the only international wrestling event, right?

Please remove yourself from Gable's jock as soon as possible.[/QUOTE]

You know I have no problem with your comments but please act a little more mature then some of these others and lay off the gay jokes man. Its uncalled for. You do know this thread is posted as tribute to Dan Gable not argue about people who may be better.

jludley said:
You know I have no problem with your comments but please act a little more mature then some of these others and lay off the gay jokes man. Its uncalled for. You do know this thread is posted as tribute to Dan Gable not argue about people who may be better.
I understand what the thread was created for, however if someone (such as yourself) wants to put out the idea that Dan Gable is the best wrestler of all time, then I have a problem with it because it's simply not true. Now, if you were to say he is your favorite wrestler of all time, or something of that nature, then that would be fine. But Gable just doesn't have the results to qualify him as the greatest of all time: 1 World Gold, 1 Olympic Gold. He won the Tbilisi tourney in '72 as well. That doesn't even begin to compare with Karelin's 3 Olympic Gold Medals, 9 World Gold Medals, 1 Olympic Silver Medal, and 12 European Championship Medals. Not to mention his undefeated streak of 12 years (with also going 7 straight years without being even SCORED ON--Gable only did it for one tournament). Or if you want to talk freestyle, Medved's 3 Olympic Golds (amazingly, at lightheavy, heavy, and superheavy) 7 World Gold Medals, 1 World Silver, 1 World Bronze, and 3 European Golds.

Gable doesn't hold a candle to those guys, sorry. And I am a great admirer of Gable, but it has more to do with his freakish dedication (obsession, really) and amazing work ethic than his being the best ever (which he isn't).

A little too soon to tell if best eva but Cael Sanderson might get up there soon!

knoxpk said:
A little too soon to tell if best eva but Cael Sanderson might get up there soon!
He could definitely go for it (as Gable could have tried also), but Cael has retired from wrestling to focus on coaching. He says he might wrestle again, but that it is highly unlikely. It's too bad, because he is a very talented guy, but I think he will do well as a coach.

Torn Victor is correct, I believe Dan Gable to be America's best wrestler ever, (sorry Mr Baumgartner) but to argue anyone is a better wrestler than Karelin was is pretty farfetched.

I love Dan Gable. He has done many things in his time to help the sport.

The real claim for fame is not only his record, but that he beat the Russains at their own game. That was the real deal at the time, and still holds true to this day.

Karelin in my mind the greatest wrestler of all time.

The superhuman work ethic of all the champions listed in this thread deserves a standing ovation from anyone claiming to be a fan of wrestling. "BEST" is a term best suited for things that can be verified. The only way the "who's better" argument will ever be settled is to have all the best wrestlers on the planet magically weigh the same and have a collosal tourny that would surely garner the presence of GOD himself as a spectator. THAT, will never happen. Speculate all you like fellas but try to refrain from bashing the men I've come to admire over the years while trying to make your points.

BTW...no one mentioned Dan Hodges......for SHAME!

his DVD's on coaching, etc. are great for motivation, etc. The wrestling ones are primarily pertinent to wrestling and not really worth getting for sub grappling. You're better off getting some of the MMA/sub grappling take down series

I asked one of my coaches who the best wrestler was, and he was like "Dan Gable, thats the only name you need to know."

Back