Dan Gable tribute discussion

jludley

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
First let me start out with IMO and alot of others even Kurt Angle. The best wrestling coach ever is Dan Gable. Yes Im from Iowa usually known to have the best wrestling in the united states granted we haven't been doing the greatest in the past few years but thats not what Im hear to discuss. Dan Gable is a great teacher and a great man If any of you ever have the pleasure of meating him you should deem yourself lucky. He in my opinion is like the Royce Gracie, or Rickson Gracie of wrestling. What are your thoughts.

The Rickson of College wrestling was Cael Sanderson.
But Dan gable is a legend nonetheless.

if you wanna look him up you could do a google search on him or Iowa wrestling. Im not to sure where to find any documenteries though. There are so many different styles of wrestling though.

Dan Gable (born October 25, 1948 in Waterloo, Iowa), has often been called the Babe Ruth of wrestling.

At Waterloo West High School, Gable went undefeated in high school between 1963 and 1966. After graduation, he moved on to Iowa State University where he won two NCAA titles (1968, 1969). His overall collegiate mark was 118-1. His singular defeat was in his final collegiate match in the NCAA tournament to Larry Owings in 1970.

After college, Gable wrestled as an amateur for three years. It was clear that he was single-minded in quest for the 1972 Olympic Games. During training, he was driven by the possibility that the Russians might be training harder than he. If he awoke in the night, he would do push-ups and sit-ups until he went back to sleep. "Maybe the Russians are training" he would think to himself. Gable would say later that he wanted to win by clear and indisputable victories, and not have any of his matches be left up to the judgment of a referee.

Before leaving for the Games in Munich, the entire United States Olympic team was invited to the White House. Gable and two of his teammates chose not to attend because it would interfere with their training schedule.

Needless to say, he won the gold medal at 149 pounds (68 kg) at the 1972 Summer Olympics despite suffering from a painful shoulder injury. In fact, Gable did not surrender a single point at the 1972 Games. As an amateur from his high school career to his retirement in 1973, he was 299-6-3 with 182 pins.

Gable became head wrestling coach at the University of Iowa in 1976. He formed a dynasty unmatched in all of sport. From 1978 to 1986, the Hawkeyes won the NCAA title each year, a record nine in succession. He continued to coach the team until a sabbatical after the 1997 season. His record in dual meets was an amazing 355-21-6 with fifteen NCAA titles in 21 years.

In addition to his leadership at the college level, Gable was head coach of the United States Olympic team in freestyle wrestling in both 1984 and 2004. Currently, he is an assistant athletic director at the University of Iowa.

I've heard that his philosophies on coaching, training and winning are, bar none, the best in sports.

Looks like someone was doin there research so what do you think I hope you can find some videos Im on a really bad computer it wont let me download or nothing but the man is a great legend wouldnt you say I kind of feel like he doesnt get enough credit.

Yeah Ive met the guy like 3 times he is a great man I remember on some website he's got an ask Dan Gable forum type deal.

I've heard a few debates on whether Iowa has the best wrestling in the US- I hear PA mentioned alot, and Oklahoma I believe (John Smith?)

VanDamme said:
I've heard a few debates on whether Iowa has the best wrestling in the US- I hear PA mentioned alot, and Oklahoma I believe (John Smith?)

If you're talking HS wrestling, OH and PA are currently hands down the best two states in the country. IA and OK are not what they used to be, but are still in the top 10-15 states.

Oklahoma is definetly the best at this point Iowa used to hold that title back when Gable was head coach Im sorry though Gable still has to be hands down the best wrestler of all time. I think Iowa held that title for 9 or 10 yrs

Hey Btw Everybody, Realprowrestling First Season Dvd Will Be Available Before Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wootwoot I'm Talkin' Joe Williams, Doug Schwab, Lee Fullhart, Mo Lawal, Etc. I'm Uber-pumped!!!! :d

If you want to see amazing doubles watch Mo Lawal's video on the RPW site. I know he also boxes and I've heard he's interested in doing MMA.

Wrestler_Piper said:
If you want to see amazing doubles watch Mo Lawal's video on the RPW site. I know he also boxes and I've heard he's interested in doing MMA.
Yeah, man. I've already pre-ordered my first season disc set, so I should be getting a call from then by the 12'th of Dec.. :D

jludley said:
Im sorry though Gable still has to be hands down the best wrestler of all time.

Don't know much about wrestling, do you?

Aleksander Karelin, Aleksander Medved, John Smith, Sergei Belaglazov, Valentin Jordanov, Osamu Watanabe, Bruce Baumgartner, Valeri Resanchev, and Arsen Fedzaev, among others, are all better and certainly more accomplished wrestlers than Gable. Don't take that to mean that I don't admire Gable, though--because I certainly do. He was very very good, very focused, and was an awesome wrestler. But not the greatest of all time, not even close.

Torn Victor said:
Don't know much about wrestling, do you?

Aleksander Karelin, Aleksander Medved, John Smith, Sergei Belaglazov, Valentin Jordanov, Osamu Watanabe, Bruce Baumgartner, Valeri Resanchev, and Arsen Fedzaev, among others, are all better and certainly more accomplished wrestlers than Gable. Don't take that to mean that I don't admire Gable, though--because I certainly do. He was very very good, very focused, and was an awesome wrestler. But not the greatest of all time, not even close.

Ive been wrestling for 10yrs now I know quite a bit more than you would think I also come from Iowa so naturally I have a lot of respect for Dan Gable I appreciate alot more about Gable than just his wrestling. The man has great record. Not very many men can say they done what he has. Im sorry but you must not know a whole lot if its like that Im not taking anything against any of the ones you mentioned but I think you should do some more studies on him make it a thing to meet him. Ive done minor lessons with him showing up at local schools and the guy is amazing.

Back