Damn I miss the old Pizza Hut restaurants

We had a Pizza Hut about a 3 min walk from my Grandma's house. Would go there all the time to get my Book It reward. Once in a blue moon we would go there as a family. Haven't eaten there for a while. I wonder if the smell and taste of their pizza is still the same from the 80-90s...

Dad used to take us there back in the 80s and it was great. Pizza delivered to your table on a sizzling pan, great salad bar, ice cold soda in a big red glass, a juke box the girls used to dance to while waiting for their food. Good times.
View attachment 1055803

We used to have the all you can eat version in Australia, god they would have been fucked to clean up, pizza, pasta and sundae shit eveywhere, I'm sure more than a few spewed their guts up there too

The nearest one here had a Galaga or similar videogame table machine.

It's now a Panda Express in a new building.

I'll tell you hwat, these days, Pizza Hut tastes good, but a bit salty and will for sure give the urgent shits... way more potent than Taco Bell which gives normal at your leisure shits.

We still have one pizza hut here in its older building.

There used to be a dine-in Pizza Hut where I used to live at. The place looked like a hole in the wall at a shopping center. They used a pan for the pan pizza which gave that greasy crispy crust. Now when I order a pan pizza, it is fvcking soggy as shit 😑

Pizza Hut tasted better because we were young and did not know any better. The same goes for Subway and other chains. Once we got older and actually had decent pizza and deli and then had Pizza Hut again, we think “Man, this tasted better back in the day.” Nah, we were just young and getting anything like that was a treat.
Nah, we taste 20+ years of cost cutting very clearly. Basic enshittification, chasing after record profits every year at the expense of everything. It’s hard to think of many large corporations who haven’t reduced quality over the last 20 years in the name of profits.

Funny how KFC here is inedible slop and in Japan, it’s delicious like it was 20 years ago because they’re still trying to build the coattails the brand can ride out on and start cutting corners.

Nah, we taste 20+ years of cost cutting very clearly. Basic enshittification, chasing after record profits every year at the expense of everything. It’s hard to think of many large corporations who haven’t reduced quality over the last 20 years in the name of profits.

Funny how KFC here is inedible slop and in Japan, it’s delicious like it was 20 years ago because they’re still trying to build the coattails the brand can ride out on and start cutting corners.
Agreed. Papa John's used to be amazing about 20 years ago as well. They definitely changed up the ingredients.

eerily similar to what happened to America ...

A LOT of you here never read 100 books to get free pizza and it shows.

1*I6saGsjME2HFC_nw7aGahw.png

Pizza Hut was one of my favorite pizzas but only in restaurant.

I found what worked well in the pan fried crust ate fresh at the restaurant did not work well in delivery as it got too soggy.

Agreed. Papa John's used to be amazing about 20 years ago as well. They definitely changed up the ingredients.

I may get blasted for this but I've never understood Papa John's. Give me pizza but give me sauce at the end of my crust. Wtf? The crust makes the pizza. If the crust is ass then the pizza is ass. I shouldn't need sauce for the end of the pizza. Out of all the chains I would say Papa John's is up there with being some of the worst pizza.

Also, I am old enough to remember when Pizza Hut had this promotion below (my friend had the tape).

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 3
I had quite a few back in the day.
I grew up poor, so if reading books was a way to get free food you best believe my parents made sure my brother and I had a book in our hand. We weren't reading to learn, we were reading to eat. The people at pizza hut knew us quite well.

Last edited:
I mean kinda ...but alsothose places we all loved as kids really did change up the ingredients and recipes and also made shit worse. Also jets kicks the shit out of your mom and pop pizza places and pizza hut old and new

Fuck yes.

I didn't even know Detroit Style pizza was a thing till I moved away. But yeah some if the franchises back then could definatly hold their own, Jets and Marcos were my personal favs but Pizza Hut (personal pan for reading however many books in school...I was a fucking skinny nerd in elementary school and my parents wouldn't let me, rightfully, videogame too much so I read a ton..) and Little Cesar's were solid seconds.

Will say some of the Long Island mom and pop pizza parlors are damn good...but the irony is my favorite pie out here from one spot is called the "Drunken Detroiter"

There's a Mountain Mike's in the Sac area that has that old school pizza parlor vibe. I haven't been in there in a few years but it was kinda dark inside, red cups, red and white checkerboard tablecloths, arcade games and a pool table.

Dad used to take us there back in the 80s and it was great. Pizza delivered to your table on a sizzling pan, great salad bar, ice cold soda in a big red glass, a juke box the girls used to dance to while waiting for their food. Good times.
View attachment 1055803
There are some really good places you can sit down and get a pizza sent to your table. Pizza Hut was never one of them.

Back