Cutting angles

la vengeance

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, what are some good drills to practice cutting angles?

Is there a site or book that teaches cutting angles and certain angles well?

Thanks a ton.

Are you talking MMA, boxing, or thai or something else?
It really depends on what you're doing and what you can and can't do.
I'd say head movement with torso shifting, and really focusing on putting yourself in the position or just before the position you want while you take your opponent out of their comfortable position. I don't know if that makes sense or even helps.
I'm sure others will be much more helpful.

I tried to think of a good explanation. But i'll let this guys analogy try and explain it to you

"He wants to be a planet rotating around you. Imagine that for a moment - you are at the center, and he's revolving around you. If he's at 12:00 moving counter clockwise, where's his motion? To the left. Step to your left and in. You'll find the distance closes very fast, and he has to scramble. Always move in the same direction and in."

So in other words, its all about stepping to where hes going to be, instead of where he is. Get it? That way, he runs into you. He circles left, you take a step right and block off his escape route. He tries to go circle away right, you take a bigger step left to cut him off, your foot outside his. He tries to go move back, you move forward. etc etc. Quite a simple concept.

Once you understand the concept and apply it in the ring, you'll be keeping fools cornered in no time.

Hmm, any drills to kind of practice this?

Or some instructional vids? DVDs?

Thanks for the replies guys

Hmm, any drills to kind of practice this?

Or some instructional vids? DVDs?

Thanks for the replies guys

well if you had a partner. just tell him to try circle you and you just work on taking steps, cutting him off. I dont know how else you could practice, except get it down in your head and work it in sparring.

I think having a partner to spar with would definitely be the best way to really ingrain the concept.

I think having a partner to spar with would definitely be the best way to really ingrain the concept.

Yeah its kinda hard to train it when nothings trying to escape you.

OH! If you have a cat thats afraid of water, you can just lock yourself in a room with it and spray him and chase it around the room while its trying to escape you.

More realistically, just practice taking diagonal steps. Just drill taking steps diagonally like you're cutting someone off, best i can think off.

Yeah its kinda hard to train it when nothings trying to escape you.

OH! If you have a cat thats afraid of water, you can just lock yourself in a room with it and spray him and chase it around the room while its trying to escape you.

More realistically, just practice taking diagonal steps. Just drill taking steps diagonally like you're cutting someone off, best i can think off.

Or you can do the Rocky and practice with a chicken!

well if you had a partner. just tell him to try circle you and you just work on taking steps, cutting him off. I dont know how else you could practice, except get it down in your head and work it in sparring.

So what's the circler to do in this situation? Cause say I'm circling around a guy and he steps to where I'll be. Unless I can can change directions quickly (which likely I won't be able to) I've can only go backwards unless I can manage some quick counter and pivot out.

Otherwise after he cuts me off the guy will just come straight at me and drive me to the ropes.

well one of the drills i do is Jab, Cross, Left Uppercut , step to the right and then following a right cross

Watch Ricky Hatton. His whole game revolves around cutting off opponents and smothering them against the ropes.

So what's the circler to do in this situation? Cause say I'm circling around a guy and he steps to where I'll be. Unless I can can change directions quickly (which likely I won't be able to) I've can only go backwards unless I can manage some quick counter and pivot out.

Otherwise after he cuts me off the guy will just come straight at me and drive me to the ropes.

1. Get better footwork. This is an obvious answer.
2. Jab. Its used not only for setting up combos, but also dictating where you want yourself and your opponent positioned.

Roy Jones was great at getting off the ropes. Same for Mayweather jr.

Back