Cuts, bruises, abrasions?

ElShafto

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've been training stand up (no grappling at all) in preparation for a MT fight and I've been sparring quite a bit lately. I'm purely an amateur and I've been getting in some good quality sessions.

I also have a full time professional job and I end up with a bunch of abrasions on my face and nose. I understand that when fighting I'm going to get knicks and cuts and abrasions, but I'd just like to take the edge off them if possible. I don't mind explaining to my clients that I fight regularly, and it's a good conversation starter sometimes, but I'd prefer to just get right to selling.

Is Vaseline the answer? Can some of you folks that have been training for a long while give me a few tips?

Thanks in advance.

Vaseline is a must for hard sparring, yes it can be a little messy but that's par for the course. Make sure to wear headgear and ask your partner to wear larger gloves if possible (16 oz is standard). And finally, work on your defense, as that's the best way to avoid cuts and bruises altogether.

Yeah, I wasn't wearing headgear last night which I should definitely do every time.

I seem to get quite a bit of the scuffs on my forehead from my own gloves... I have decent defense and when I cover and get hit I think it's my gloves (sometimes) that are causing the abrasions on my forehead. Truth be told, my gloves are in pretty crappy shape even after three months (yeah, I'm not buying the condender brand anymore).

Thanks for the advice on the Vaseline, I'll definitely do that and wear headgear.

I've been training stand up (no grappling at all) in preparation for a MT fight and I've been sparring quite a bit lately. I'm purely an amateur and I've been getting in some good quality sessions.

I also have a full time professional job and I end up with a bunch of abrasions on my face and nose. I understand that when fighting I'm going to get knicks and cuts and abrasions, but I'd just like to take the edge off them if possible. I don't mind explaining to my clients that I fight regularly, and it's a good conversation starter sometimes, but I'd prefer to just get right to selling.

Is Vaseline the answer? Can some of you folks that have been training for a long while give me a few tips?

Thanks in advance.

I feel your pain.. I have a professional job that requires me to go see customers as well. Its fun to explain the bruises, cuts, mat burns etc. Those conversations have lead me to find out more about some the customers including who trains.

My usual attire to the office is suit, tie, and black eyes.

My co-workers are used to it, and so is my boss.

They cannot, however, get used to the blender going with my protein shakes and meal replacement powders.

My cut is just healing up even though I should of gotten it stiched..

I was sparring with the MMA sparring gloves and the only reason I got cut is because I got hit with the bare part of the fist that the padding dosnt cover.

Bushy eyebrows = easy to get cut

put vasline on your eybrows and other areas that are common for cuts.

I hadn't thought to mention your gloves. I had some crappy Neverlast ones for the first year of training, and they fell apart and were crawling with mold (yes, I realize I should have thrown them out earlier). I went and bought some Fairtex gloves and have been in love with them. While quite pricey, I highly suggest picking up some quality gloves and make sure to take care of them. With proper gloves, headgear, and Vaseline, you should avoid most cuts/bruises/abbrasions. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or doing something right, but in 2.5 years of serious boxing training, I have yet to suffer a noticeable facial injury. I'm sure that'll change once my shoulder heals and I head down to the local PAL, though.

Vaseline is your best friend, and buy better quality gloves make sure the leather doesn't have really sharp points around the trim I know it pisses people off but open the damn package and try the gloves on... shit YOU have to train with them...

Wear headgear and the other guys gloves shouldn't be bruising or cutting you unless he has some crappy gloves too. Besides that I think everyone gave you pretty good answers...

Back