Cuts behind the ears BJJ

It's probably due to the mats or you trying to pull out of chokes by force.

What is mat herpes, may I ask?

I don't think this person still posts here, but I'm gonna answer anyway, since it seems like people were joking about 'mat herpes' as though it weren't a real thing.

It's totally a real thing.

When people train with cold-sores, the sweat exchange can cause others to develop herpes-sores, not just on their mouth, but also their face, neck, shoulders, or arms. Used to be fairly common in wrestling. Not so much anymore, as coaches are more educated. But, still not at all unheard of in grappling arts.

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&q=wrestlers+herpes&btnG=&as_sdt=1,6&as_sdtp=

Back when I trained regularly, it happened at least once a week. Back in those days I used to bait and pass a lot of triangles and used to double under pass a lot. I'm guessing that puts some wear and tear on your ears and maybe the skin's real thin back there. No cauli for me though. So I'm good.

I also used to get this. Carpet burn on the back of my ears sometimes, but typically some mild scabbing on the back of my ear where it joins into my head. I fixed it by just rubbing a tiny bit of Vaseline on each side of your ears before training. Works a charm.

I don't think this person still posts here, but I'm gonna answer anyway, since it seems like people were joking about 'mat herpes' as though it weren't a real thing.

It's totally a real thing.

When people train with cold-sores, the sweat exchange can cause others to develop herpes-sores, not just on their mouth, but also their face, neck, shoulders, or arms. Used to be fairly common in wrestling. Not so much anymore, as coaches are more educated. But, still not at all unheard of in grappling arts.

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&q=wrestlers+herpes&btnG=&as_sdt=1,6&as_sdtp=

That

I also used to get this. Carpet burn on the back of my ears sometimes, but typically some mild scabbing on the back of my ear where it joins into my head. I fixed it by just rubbing a tiny bit of Vaseline on each side of your ears before training. Works a charm.

That

Last edited:
No one has mentioned it, but from personal experience, deep half and over under passing can contribute to the skin behind your ears tearing, and cauli in general.

I get this every time I take a break longer than a few weeks and then get back on the mat. get it under my chin sometimes too

I get those all the time after training! Never knew it happened to others. Feeling like I just walked through some kind of portal. Anyone want to start a book club ?

I get this every time I take a break longer than a few weeks and then get back on the mat. get it under my chin sometimes too
My chin would get sore and the skin scraped up and raw, especially after training with the gi. I attribute this to scrapes on the skin from chokes.

It's normal. I dont' know why it happens. It just happens. No fix that I know of. Just tough it out and keep using anti fungal soap after class. It's just a little sting. Nothing terrible.

I had this problem for a while too. It's cause the skin back there is too dry.
Try rubbing lotion behind ur ears at night before bed. Problem should go away after about a week.
^ This!!!!!

I get those all the time after training! Never knew it happened to others. Feeling like I just walked through some kind of portal. Anyone want to start a book club ?
like the KinngKiller Chronicles? or Theodore Roosevelt? I just started the first Mistborn trilogy.

Back