Current UFC Champions biggest potential threats to their title.

EJRMAN513

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
This is all opinion obviously. I'm basing everything from a stylistic stand point and I'm including fighters from other organizations outside of ZUFFA Let's start by going down the divisions

Heavyweight: Junior dos Santos - Cain Velasquez, Alistair Overeem, Fabricio Werdum and Daniel Cormier. *Honorable Mentions - Mark Hunt, just due to the stylistic match-up with JDS.

Light-Heavyweight: Jon Jones - Lyoto Machida and Alexander Gustafsson. *Honorable Mentions - Glover Teixeira and Phil Davis.

Middleweight: Anderson Silva - Chris Weidman and Ronaldo Souza. *Honorable Mentions - Hector Lombard, Vitor Belfort and Rousimar Palhares(probably not going to reach the level needed to challenge for the title though but he can be considered a somewhat stylistically bad match for Anderson)

Welterweight: Georges St. Pierre - Carlos Condit and Jake Ellenberger. *Honorable Mentions - Nate Marquardt

Lightweight: Ben Henderson - Gray Maynard, Anthony Pettis and Michael Chandler. *Honorable Mentions - Gilbert Melendez, Eddie Alvarez and Rick Hawn

Featherweight: Jose Aldo - Frankie Edgar. *Honorable Mentions - Chad Mendes, Eric Koch, Chan Sung Jung and Daniel Straus

Bantamweight: Dominick Cruz - Renan Barao and Michael McDonald. *Honorable Mentions - Eduardo Danats, Bibiano Fernandes, Eddie Wineland and Brad Pickett

Flyweight: Demetrious Johnson - John Dodsen, Ian McCall and Joseph Benavidez. *Honorable Mentions - Chris Cariaso and Tim Elliot

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
I think that Jon Jones and Anderson Silva have 0 threats.

You left out both Nick Diaz and Hendricks at WW?

How do you omit Hendricks at WW?

Hard question, the current champs are so dominant.

HW: Cain
LHW: No idea. Anderson if he moves up I guess
MW: Weidman
WW: Ellenberger/Hendricks
LW: Maynard/Pettis
FW: No idea.
BW: Barao/McDonald
FLW: McCall/Benavidez/Dodson

Wait Benson is the lw champion?

I think GSP runs through them both at will with ease

Have another sip.

Haterade.png

How the hell is Carlos Condit a bigger threat than them when he just lost 4 rounds to 1. Not to mention he has to earn another shot. How can he be a threat if he isn't even close to getting a title shot?

I think GSP runs through them both at will with ease

I think GSP beats both of them, but not with ease. The GSP who just beat Condit probably has a much harder time with Hendricks, who has the standup and wrestling to make it a really interesting fight.

Based on what? What does Carlos do better than Diaz?

Condit goes into fights KO people, Diaz goes into fights to break people. My point, Condit's a bigger threat than Diaz because he can flash GSP with something, while Diaz strategy requires time he just wont have because he'll either be on his back, or he'll be swinging at air.

P.S. I know that Hendricks can also flash KO GSP definately, but I feel he just doesn't have the versatile weapons that Condit has, in order to do that. Condit can knock you out with kicks, punches and knees, while Hendricks has only shown a good right hand and some decent wrestling(which won't get you far against GSP)

HW - Overeem, Cain, Cormier
LHW - Machida is still a huge threat to Jones at LHW
MW - Nobody
WW - Hendricks, Condit, Ellenberger
LW - Maynard, Melendez, Alvarez, Pettis, Aldo
FW - KZ, Patricio Freire, P.Curran
BW - Barao, McDonald
FLW - Dodson, JB, McCall, Moraga, Vila

Condit goes into fights KO people, Diaz goes into fights to break people. My point, Condit's a bigger threat than Diaz because he can flash GSP with something, while Diaz strategy requires time he just wont have because he'll either be on his back, or he'll be swinging at air.

Diaz significantly superior Jits than Condit... best gas tank in MMA, and has more than proven his KO power. Just because he doesn't throw all of his strikes with power does not mean he doesn't have any power.

You also omitted Hendricks, are you going to question his power?

And Jacare is a threat to Anderson Silva? Moreso than Diaz or Hendricks is to GSP.

You've exposed yourself as a Diaz hater or a GSP nut rider, your objectivity is lost thus your thread has no merit. Good day.

Man I remember when Dando fought Ramage at 205 years ago. He has come a long ways

Aldo going to Lightweight is an immediate threat to Bendo. Glover is a massive threat to Jones.

Diaz significantly superior Jits than Condit... best gas tank in MMA, and has more than proven his KO power. Just because he doesn't throw all of his strikes with power does not mean he doesn't have any power.

You also omitted Hendricks, are you going to question his power?

And Jacare is a threat to Anderson Silva? Moreso than Diaz or Hendricks is to GSP.

You've exposed yourself as a Diaz hater or a GSP nut rider, your objectivity is lost thus your thread has no merit. Good day.

Give'm hell Bro :D

Aldo going to Lightweight is an immediate threat to Bendo. Glover is a massive threat to Jones.

I agree with the Aldo part, but he's still officially a Featherweight and I feel that Glover is still unproven against top comp, but the potential is there.

Back