Current countries with the most top 10 and champions

Yea i noticed that.
South Africa surprised me.

Japan as well for me. They have had some over the years, but that seems more than normal. I wonder if the Anime/Manga Hajime No Ippo inspired some kids 20 years ago when they were kids, and now they are of age to be pro boxers.

I more closely follow the higher classes and I know the british dominate HW, Usyk dominates CW and the russians dominate LHW. Than there's everyone else.

When my wife and I got together she wouldn’t watch anything but HW. I made her watch the lower weights and she immediately responded “damn these guys are active”.

MAB > Lamon Brewster!!!

MAB > Lamon Brewster!!!

I get what you mean but I don't know why should we compare them this way. I feel it's a bit disrespectful to Brewster. I bet he would have been more happy fighting this guy
125480854.jpg

than fighting this guy
article-2319051-199B61E1000005DC-119_634x480.jpg

I feel like #2 would put me to sleep with less shame when I woke up!

Allied Powers US/UK still holding up France's end of the bargain ;).

and Lennox Lewis was born in England but represented Canada.
I would've counted it for England to be honest he even considers himself British and he was born in England and didnt move to Canada until he was 12 and moved back to England when he became an adult.

I would've counted it for England to be honest he even considers himself British and he was born in England and didnt move to Canada until he was 12 and moved back to England when he became an adult.
Pretty sure he was an adult when he decided to represent Canada in the Olympics

Yea, but hes English and he considers himself English.
Here's an interview in 1999
Jim Cornall, Canada but originally English:Now that I live in Canada, you are usually here referred to as: "Canadian Lennox Lewis who now lives in England." How do you feel about this? Do you consider yourself completely English now?

Lennox Lewis: I have always been English, ever since I emigrated from England and since the kids in Canada beat me up at the age of twelve for having an East London Cockney accent. I thank them for the cockney taunts because the beatings turned me on to boxing. But on a serious note Canada has been kind to me.

South Africa greater than Cuba. Hah. I guess Fidel dying didn’t open the Cuban floodgates to professional boxing
Cuba has no belts at the moment and DeeJay Kriel from S.Africa will be fighting Carlos Licona from Mexico for the IBF Minimumweight/Strawweight Title on Saturday

Last edited:
Japan as well for me. They have had some over the years, but that seems more than normal. I wonder if the Anime/Manga Hajime No Ippo inspired some kids 20 years ago when they were kids, and now they are of age to be pro boxers.

they've always been a powerhouse at the lowerwgts. only recently, the media has started picking up on it globally and exposing these fighters to the west.
they had something like 17 belt holders in recent years, but so many lost/retired, like miura, yamanaka, uchiyama.. but naoya is sparking new life into japanese boxing. mma has completely dropped off the map 10 years ago..

Not sure if Mexico is undervalued by boxrec or if they are just always given shots at titles.

they've always been a powerhouse at the lowerwgts. only recently, the media has started picking up on it globally and exposing these fighters to the west.
they had something like 17 belt holders in recent years, but so many lost/retired, like miura, yamanaka, uchiyama.. but naoya is sparking new life into japanese boxing. mma has completely dropped off the map 10 years ago..

Japan is mostly in the lower bottom 5 weight classes.
Lightweight (130lbs) is the highest weight class with a top 10 fighter from Japan.
Middleweight (160lbs) has Ryota Murata who was top 10 until he lost to Brant. Now hes like 14.

Last edited:
Not sure if Mexico is undervalued by boxrec or if they are just always given shots at titles.
What do you mean?
A good number of American guys with top 10s or belts, are Mexican-American.

South Africa greater than Cuba. Hah. I guess Fidel dying didn’t open the Cuban floodgates to professional boxing
There are quite a few countries where their olympic boxers never turn pro because in a lot of cases it's more profitable and worth it to said boxers to stay amateurs. Cuba and Kazakhstan are amongst them. Also, having to defect from Cuba makes it hard for many boxers to even become pro and have careers. Cuba won the most medals(most golds too) at last years AIBA world championships and Kazakhstan was tied for second. Uzbekistan is up there too, they were tied for second most medals at the worlds and at the 2016 Olympics and tied with Cuba for the most Golds at the 2016 Olympics.

The only vacant belt is the WBC Super Middleweight Title (168lbs)
(USA) Anthony Dirrell will fight Avni Yildirim from Turkey on February 23rd for it.

What do you mean?
A good number of American guys with top 10s or belts, are Mexican-American.
You categorized them as American though right? I mean Mexico is killin it with the belts but not as much on boxrec.

He went through the Canadian boxing system so it’s not surprising he fought under their flag at the Olympics. He ‘chose’ to represent his country of birth as a pro. That’s not really up for debate, it’s fact

Back