Cuba or Mexico - Which country would you rather go to for a vacation?

Which country would you rather go to for a vacation?

• Total voters
I've been to Mexico before, but I'd say Cuba because I hear outside of the resorts, Mexico is dangerous af! I guess that holds true for many countries.

Not Mexico.

XSMMTHP3CNJW7GRSO3QONA6BMQ.jpg

Cuba because Mexico can be done at any time. I may not get that many chances to do Cuba.

Whichever one is safer outside of the resorts so I can explore without worrying about grave bodily injury if I walk down the wrong street in the daytime. So…Cuba

I’ve been to both and it’s definitely Mexico for me, mostly for the food scene.

100% mexico, its already pretty high up on my list, i'd say in the top 5.

I would consider living in mexico for a few months at least.

Both are great places to visit.

The only place I advise against is the Dominican Republic. Other than "the presidente" beer they have there, the place is a dump.

At a resort? Mexico hands down. Way better food and infrastructure. Cuba is shit. Barely any functional data access, credit cards are basically black magic, and the accommodations are salvation army quality

It would annoy me to great lengths not being able to use my smart phone in Cuba. I have T-Mobile international and Cuba is still a country that has no usage agreement with T-mobile. The other two being Russia and North Korea.

That being said... I heard the females there are VERY much into foreign guys. Even more so than Mexican females.

Mexico with all the cartels sounds awful
I'd rather see Cuba
Yeah, crime is out of control in much of Mexico. You're probably safe if you stay on the resort or in the safer parts of cities during daylight, but can get into trouble if you wander off the beaten path... Cuba has many issues, but the violent crime rate is actually lower than in the US. The government achieves this via authoritarian control of its citizens, but...

<WhatItIs>

I've been to Mexico before, but I'd say Cuba because I hear outside of the resorts, Mexico is dangerous af! I guess that holds true for many countries.

Nah, I know it's only one person's experience but thousands of people go backpacking there every month and never set foot in a resort - I didn't either! Nothing but good experiences but yeah Cuba is a lot less edgy

Yeah, crime is out of control in much of Mexico. You're probably safe if you stay on the resort or in the safer parts of cities during daylight, but can get into trouble if you wander off the beaten path... Cuba has many issues, but the violent crime rate is actually lower than in the US. The government achieves this via authoritarian control of its citizens, but...

<WhatItIs>
for the longest time i believed there was an understanding between the cartels and the authorities on what concerns the touristy places. you want gringos in your country, getting drunk and spending money while feeling safe. but lately i have been reading of cartel violence going all the way to acapulco, which used to be off limits.
so i think, the way it is now, mexico is barely a country. i'd love to go see the mayan ruins in the yucatan, but the risks make it not worthwhile.

Based on a lot of things I was already aware of as well as things discussed in this thread, I figured I'd do a pros and cons list for both countries.

Cuba:

vintage-car-street-sunset-havana-cuba_2x1.jpg

Pros:

-Better looking women (subjective, but think most would agree)
-Lower crime, especially violent crime
-More affordable
-Better educated population
-Less overweight/obese people, especially women
-Less corruption, authorities less likely to try to get bribes, etc.

Cons:

-Lack of internet access/internet censorship/slow internet
-Food is pretty bad compared to Mexico (another subjective measure, but feel most will agree)
-It's an island with less diversity of activities and topography compared to Mexico
-Less large and cosmopolitan cities compared to Mexico
-Difficult for American travelers to go there and move around freely (disregard if not American)

Mexico:

metropolitan-cathedral-zocalo-mexico-city_2x1.JPG

Pros:

-Greater access to high-speed uncensored internet and Wi-Fi
-Large continental and peninsular country with great diversity of activities and topography
-Widely considered to have one of the greatest cuisines in the world
-More expensive than Cuba, but still affordable for most Westerners
-Women perhaps not as attractive as Cuba, but still plenty of good-looking women

Cons:

-Crime is out of control, one of the most violent countries in the world
-High levels of corruption, officials may try to seek bribes
-Much of the population is overweight/obese including women
-Less diversity of women, about 90% of the population is Mestizo/Amerindian
-Population is generally less educated, higher illiteracy rate than Cuba, etc.

Feel free to give me feedback, add other information, what I got wrong, what I got right, etc.

Back