• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

CSAC bans dehydration starting March 1st

Strong showing of your "alpha personality" there, man.
I am not a man, I am a woman and that is verified. Your comment regarding my Alpha-ness is completely out of place in this discussion, as is your attempt to speak as though you know me when I don't know you at all... nor do I wish too.

Do you realize what a fucking joke that would make the ufc along with any fighters on their roster when they're blatantly ducking a state to avoid having guys fight where they actually should be not where methodically sweat and starved enough for a day or 2 to have a size advantage

Do you realize no fighter in their right mind is going to cut 10-20+ lbs of muscle off their frame for a fight in california only to have to put it back on for a fight in vegas 3-4 months later?

This is great, I'm sick of these weight cutting competitions.

Let's see some damn skill again.

Martial arts, not "A level athletes".

I know they have tested fighters after fights for concussions with many state of the art pieces of equipment, but have they done so with people cutting weight?

Everything about weight cutting affecting cerebrospinal fluid seems to be antidotal, with a majority of "Experts" showing up on MMA shows having no expertise in the field they're talking about, such as orthopedist coming on the talk about steroids *cough* failed ESPN MMA show *cough*

It'd be better to run tests to see if this is the case, or if the rise in concussions, or at least diagnosed ones, comes from hard training and undiagnosed confusions from training. I'd like to see more concussion protocols being put in place for fight camps, such as AKA, where you know guys always go 100% and only really get tested for injury after fights

The divisions should really be rethought if this becomes popular among the other ACs. It does seem like attitudes have been changing in regards to weight cutting in general and I'd expect to see a lot of hard conversations in the future.

With that said, I'm generally for any rules that discourages the insane weight cutting we see for some fighters.

I'm in favour of moving away from weight cuts and dehydration.
Might not be good for the UFC, but I think it'll benefit the sport.

Here in Finland, Big Mac is a lot smaller than it is in the US. We've had a seasonal campaign product called "the Grand Big Mac" which I believe is the size of the American one
I wouldn't eat a big mac if it was free. So disgusting.

Didn't read the article, but how exactly can they ban dehydration?

Fighters are still going to cut weight like they usually do.

I don't think you are understanding this correctly, or the reverse which is nobody understands it but you. They are starting a war with dehydration, not allowing even more of it. This is a 100% ban on dehydration, there is no rehydrating. When you show up to weigh in you better have a body full of water. That means at weigh in....right...you have to weigh the proper amount fully hydrated....
I understand perfectly. Everyone is making an assumption. They said they needed to be hydrated for the fight medical, which is days after the weigh in if they do it 72 hours in advance.

If you can show me where they are doing a hydration test at weigh in then I will concede the point, I simply can't find them saying that. Based on what they have actually said (from what I have read), they will have days extra time to hydrate before the test.

I'm not sure what you are reading but these are from the OP.

The California State Athletic Commission's war on dehydration and extreme weight cutting continued Tuesday.

The new rules include a ban on dehydration to make weight, the prohibition of IVs to rehydrate and the ability to move back the time of weigh-ins.

Perhaps the strongest language in the new CSAC rules is the outright banning of dehydration to make weight, which is a practice common in MMA and amateur wrestling. Whereas it was suggested before, CSAC will require doctors to test for signs of dehydration in pre-fight physicals and make it part of the physician's pre-fight questionnaire.

Under the package, CSAC will now have the ability to collect urine samples from fighters for specific gravity tests, which detect proper hydration. If a fighter cannot pass that test, he or she will be given two to three hours to properly hydrate. If he or she still cannot pass the specific gravity test, the bout will be off.

If severe dehydration is verified by a physician, CSAC now has the ability to not approve a fighter to compete in that weight class in the future.
That is an MMA writer's words, not the CSAC's. Everything I said still stands based on that. It's quite possible the intent is to wage war on dehydration, it's also possible their goal is fighter safety. I care less about goals and more about procedure, and the procedure as it was written gives weight cutters more time to rehydrate.

Back