Crossed hook legs when sinking RNC

At the end of the day if somebody has a choke sunk in, I think the last thing you'll worry about is attacking the crossed ankles. He'll put you to sleep before you have the chance to tap him.

lol at white belts hoping for a UFC submission victory via leglock while back taken.

The crossed ankle submission doesnt always work and even good grapplers still do it sometimes.

At the end of the day if somebody has a choke sunk in, I think the last thing you'll worry about is attacking the crossed ankles. He'll put you to sleep before you have the chance to tap him.

lol at white belts hoping for a UFC submission victory via leglock while back taken.

hahaha, i think matt hughes learned that the hard way against penn. stupid white belt.

The crossed leg lock attempt works fairly well if you're blocking the RNC (ie its not sunk in and you've got a lot of time) ... going for the lock will if nothing else force him to adjust, making it easier for you to stall until he tires (or in MMA, the ref stands you up). But if the choke's sunk in, you're going to pass out long before you get anywhere with the lock.

lol, lack of experience? every white belt knows that dumb trick, you ever tried doing it to a black belt like matt serra? you simply won't. he uses angles to well and would quickly switch his feet to straight hooks to avoid any kind of annoyance you may cause while he chokes the crap out off you.

guys like bj penn who cross their legs do it up higher on the body and often ebven trap an arm, there is no risk there.

I never said Matt Serra or BJ did that. Please, I said 'some' UFC fights and mostly TUF. Then you start throwing out black belt names. The black belts don't do that and even if they do you are already choked out.

I said lack of experience because the guy on TUF last night was back mount for quite awhile. The guy that had the back had the hooks crossed. The only defense the guy knew was to try and turn out.

It comes down to remaining calm and being aware of the situation.

Where did I say it could be done everytime? I just said I haven't seen someone go for it. Christ dude get over yourself...

I never said Matt Serra or BJ did that. Please, I said 'some' UFC fights and mostly TUF. Then you start throwing out black belt names. The black belts don't do that and even if they do you are already choked out.

I said lack of experience because the guy on TUF last night was back mount for quite awhile. The guy that had the back had the hooks crossed. The only defense the guy knew was to try and turn out.

It comes down to remaining calm and being aware of the situation.

Where did I say it could be done everytime? I just said I haven't seen someone go for it. Christ dude get over yourself...

matt serra and bj do do that. lol. you're not going to catch anyone thats not a white belt or a sleeping blue belt with that crap.

I've noticed this countless times watching TUF and even on some of the UFC fight cards...

A guy has the back of his opponent with hooks in, however, the legs are crossed. Never have I seen someone exploit this immediately by crossing their own legs over the hooks and pushing the hips forward. That is a nasty leglock.

Only thing I can think of is maybe lack of experience. Or, are more of the upcoming fighters just doing more and more conditioning while sacrificing skill training? I guess something has to give when there are only so many hours in the day.

crossing the legs is fine if your above the hips, no danger of the ankle lock, but 95% of the time if your legs are crossed above the hips you have an arm trapped..

I tore my ACL in my first month of training because another student did this to me. 4 months later and its healed a lot, but I still can't bend it at certain angles. I have doubts I'll ever be able to play the butterfly guard without having some kind of pain.

Be careful!

actually, we were once fucking around with this just to see which is more effective. the guy on the back ALWAYS tapped first.

a rnc takes about 4 seconds to put you to sleep. you don't need constant pressure on the ankle to break it, you can do it with a single move.

the problem with this is actually the fact that noone goes for it as soon as the legs cross. when someone's choking you all you're thinking about is defending the choke. if you locked his legs when he locked the rnc, 9/10 guys on the back would tap out. noone ever does it soon enough though, the few people i've seen go for it did it when their face was purple already.

if the guy has his back taken in MMA, by a guy that crosses his legs, chances are, that he doesn't have good and fluid enough JJ to think about leglocking the other dude

lol at you, thats some serious bs that you posted right there

roleta vs. sururu?
carlson vs. goiaba?

if the guy has his back taken in MMA, by a guy that crosses his legs, chances are, that he doesn't have good and fluid enough JJ to think about leglocking the other dude

Bingo, and if they did think of looking for it they would probably get choked out immediately when they lift their head to look down.

I catch people of all ranks regularly with the lock (offhand I think Jake Shields is the only person that has been on my back more than a handful of times and not caught with this). Almost everybody crosses their ankles at some point (although I have to help them in some cases, mostly commonly body triangles), although when the grappler is more skilled they don't leave them crossed very long or foret about them. The higher ranks get quite embarassed and guard against it for a couple of months before being caught again.

I've noticed this countless times watching TUF and even on some of the UFC fight cards...

A guy has the back of his opponent with hooks in, however, the legs are crossed. Never have I seen someone exploit this immediately by crossing their own legs over the hooks and pushing the hips forward. That is a nasty leglock.

Only thing I can think of is maybe lack of experience. Or, are more of the upcoming fighters just doing more and more conditioning while sacrificing skill training? I guess something has to give when there are only so many hours in the day.

I'm glad I haven't seen a bunch of smart ass comments about how the people on TUF know more than this guy. I started a thread about Machida last week questing something and all I got was shit throwing.

If those ankles are crossed and sticking out there below my hips (like another person said) and its there for longer than 2 seconds, it's going to be a very painful ankle lock. And I suppose whether it hurts their knees too depends on whatever knee problems they might have.

I have done it on a very unsuspecting judo guy and it hurt the hell out of his knee (I barely applied any pressure at all). I've never heard anyone else complain about the knee though.

It's just a straight ankle lock but I still think you could apply enough pressure to break most peoples ankle.

I'd also like to point out that when you're defending the RNC, you're going to be putting your chin down, so you're going to see those feet there, you can't miss them.

can anyone find or post a video of the leglock? i'm having a little trouble visualizing it. thanks!

I cant remember the name of the event but I have a DVD where a guy gets tapped out with the leg lock while he has a rnc on the guy...really funny actually.

If the ankles are crossed ABOVE the hips it is OK. Usually you only cross them when you are trapping an arm and still you keep the ankles by your opponents belly button, any lower and its ankle lock time.

That answers your question. Also, when you see someone like BJ Penn cross his ankles while finishing the choke, it's almost always because he already has the choke sunk in.

Put it this way -- if you've got a tight choke on a guy's throat and he's going black but decides to try and crank your ankles, who do you think is going to win every time?

When you have a choke set, crossing your legs gives you a bit more leverage and you don't have to worry about getting your ankles broken -- when you just have a harness and are on someone's back, however, don't cross 'em unless you have a body triangle off to the side.

I had someone do this to me my very first time rolling. It sucked, big time. I was reading online that it's actually a dangerous move and can break someone ankles pretty easily.

sometimes in the early rounds of Pankration tournaments i compete in i will let somebody take my back in hopes that they will cross their legs. not right off the bat of course but if i get the feeling they arent the greatest grapplers. it hasn't backfired on me thus far

hahaha, i think matt hughes learned that the hard way against penn. stupid white belt.

Wasn't Hughes going for an escape out the bottom? I think Tito pulled the same thing on him at ADCC.

Back