Crossed hook legs when sinking RNC

Tabris

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I've noticed this countless times watching TUF and even on some of the UFC fight cards...

A guy has the back of his opponent with hooks in, however, the legs are crossed. Never have I seen someone exploit this immediately by crossing their own legs over the hooks and pushing the hips forward. That is a nasty leglock.

Only thing I can think of is maybe lack of experience. Or, are more of the upcoming fighters just doing more and more conditioning while sacrificing skill training? I guess something has to give when there are only so many hours in the day.

Even with a body lock you can do some kind of leg lock, but it's a bit hard to explain.

People cross their legs because they got the back and only think about finishing or sinking that choke in, not thinking the fight can be over in a second because they crossed their legs. It's just a bad habit

I did it to someone and the next day his ankle was blue

If the ankles are crossed ABOVE the hips it is OK. Usually you only cross them when you are trapping an arm and still you keep the ankles by your opponents belly button, any lower and its ankle lock time.

I've heard stories about people getting their knees and ankles torn up from not tapping to it.

I see people finish the RNC with feet crossed all the time in MMA. I've never seen someone go for the leg lock though. Probably to worried about not getting choked.

I've noticed that too, I can't wait til someone gets caught crossing their feet and leg locked. Winner by leg lock with there back taken.

Um, it's much easier to watch form the sidelines than actually experience the event. Sure if you stop moving and just leave your feet in that position, you have to watch out for the quick leg lock. But that's a whitebelt move, and anyone who's taken a minimum of BJJ lessons knows not to get caught in that.

I think there's a big difference, with all that sweat and blood and getting punched from behind and avoiding the choke at all, that the fighter on the bottom could go thinking "Oh I wonder if his feet are crossed, maybe I can pull off a low-percentage leg lock that can be avoided by a slight shift of the feet".

Ive seen people go for that leg lock twice, once it was against Ivan Menjivar but Ivan Menjivar didnt seem affected by it, the second one was in an Art of War highlight, the guy who had the back tapped.

does anyone have video instruction on whats done if their legs are crossed? i havent seen it in awhile

I am thinking, is someone able to tell the other guy's ankles are crossed if they are not looking at the other guy's feet, especially when their arm around the neck may further bloack vision

I got tapped out by that a week ago.. Yes, I am a white belt :)

If I have one arm trapped under my arm, and the choking arm isn't threatening me at the time, I'll even try to cross their hooks for them so I can get the leg lock.

my instructor got me even when i didn't cross hook the legs...i try to do the body lock ever since.

Yes this is a great leglock, I have no idea why people don't do it and have been yelling at the screen on several occasions. Actually I don't think they go for any type of leglock nearly enough. A lot of times they just ignore the legs when there is something wide open. Heel hooks can be devastating. Hopefully we will see some more in the future, or attempts at least.

I cross my legs deliberately when I have the back. Nothing makes me laugh more than people futilely trying that leglock on me while I choke them. The key to making the leglock fail is not to deeply cross your legs. I do left leg over right, but with my legs offset, so my right toes are hooking kinda on my left shin. The key is to keep your bottom leg shallow. When people try the leglock, I just sorta turn my bottom foot and it comes loose. I've got pretty flexible legs, though.

Such a newbie move to cross your ankles. I think this is a mistake you shouldn't see with someone that has 2 or more stripes on their white belt.

You also need to be careful with body triangles. The opponent just has to hook your ankle and hip up. I try to keep the foot thats dangling towards my opponents legs some what posted. This will prevent him from tilting you on your side and makes it harder for him to get his leg over.

I've heard stories about people getting their knees and ankles torn up from not tapping to it.

I see people finish the RNC with feet crossed all the time in MMA. I've never seen someone go for the leg lock though. Probably to worried about not getting choked.

Same here...well I've seen some attempts but I never see anyone tap to it, I think it is hard to get quite right..and I have guys try to do the same to my normal hooks, but my ankles are flexible and I rarely feel more than a slightly annoying pressure, a BB could probably tweak it and make me scream, but have yet to be threatened by it by any typical bjjers.

I learned my lesson about that last friday. Yes, White belt also.

I was about to sink an RNC in and got caught with that. I've never tapped that fast and I've been tapping a lot lately. :icon_neut

I learned my lesson immediately after the class started, the focus was about back mount, so the instructor started off by explaining and showing to all of us why you shouldn't do it.

I've noticed this countless times watching TUF and even on some of the UFC fight cards...

A guy has the back of his opponent with hooks in, however, the legs are crossed. Never have I seen someone exploit this immediately by crossing their own legs over the hooks and pushing the hips forward. That is a nasty leglock.

Only thing I can think of is maybe lack of experience. Or, are more of the upcoming fighters just doing more and more conditioning while sacrificing skill training? I guess something has to give when there are only so many hours in the day.

lol, lack of experience? every white belt knows that dumb trick, you ever tried doing it to a black belt like matt serra? you simply won't. he uses angles to well and would quickly switch his feet to straight hooks to avoid any kind of annoyance you may cause while he chokes the crap out off you.

guys like bj penn who cross their legs do it up higher on the body and often ebven trap an arm, there is no risk there.

Back