Cross-facing in BJJ

When a guy shoots a single on me I like to crossface with the same side arm as the leg they have trapped and often times I can get around to their back and transition the cross face to a rear naked choke. I rarely just crossface to snuff the shot without following it up with a transition like that or a takedown of my own.

Steeltwo said:
hands to the face is illegal in judo. Which is probly why no one uses it.

I always hate them, and tend to hurt the person doing them at any given chance. You'd be amazed what a side mount keylock and a knee to the neck and jaw can do to the most people. oh you tapped, let me get up with my knee thats in your jaw first.
That's a bitch move. Knee to the neck, fine. Hurting the guy after he's tapped.... bitch move.

Kawlinz said:
That's a bitch move. Knee to the neck, fine. Hurting the guy after he's tapped.... bitch move.
Yep. Really, what is so wrong with crossfaces? I reiterate: we do it all the time at CMU and it doesn't hurt that much. Just because it is illegal in Judo doesn't mean it is bad in general.

well, how about this?

If someone has a crossface against your neck.... use your hand to grab his wrist, with your other arm, palm him in the tricep TOWARDS your face, and PULL with your hand. His elbow should now be on your shoulder, close your guard tight.

And provided that your jiujitsu is good... TRIANGLE CHOKE FTW!

here's what i don't understand. you are crossfacing someone from their guard? that opens you up for arm bars, sweeps and geting your back taken. i wouldn't be mad if you crossfaced me from my guard since your doing a lot of work for me to get in a better position. it sounds also like your not saying crossface but forearm across the throat or face which is different from what i understand of the crossface.

i think its a fair mood depending on weight
if you outweigh your opponent by more than 10 pounds you shouldn't do it
we always do it in training cos it promotes good technique from the bottom!
i did get it done to me by someone who was 23st though, that was NOT fun
you ever tried to arm bar a tree trunk ha
it really depends whether you are training for a tournament aswell
its a legal move in Ju Jitsu, someone WILL do it in a tourny if they think they can

How about triangle choke? When I get caught in this (As I do often), I ram my inside elbow into their stomach to get some breathing room. I only do this in the competition training class, not in regular practice. What is the ettiquette on this move?

I think there's maybe one guy, possibly two in this thread that are actually talking about "crossfacing"... You other guys are talking about face cranks and meathead moves that just show a lack of technique. That's the confusion.

There are cross face moves I don't do much in rolling without telling the guy I'm going to work them, because they're dick moves... But a regular cross face, from side mount for instance, is just pushing the guy's face away from you, sliding your forearm across under their cheek/over their jaw, and securing their far shoulder, for instance. No real weight is needed, you're just turning his head and keeping it there. Now he can't look at you, and if you underhooked that far arm, knee up close to his hip or on belly... He's screwed.

Moves I DON'T often whip out are the "poor man's twister" or "The Exorcist", which are face and spine cranks where you maliciously slice your hand across the face from the back. That said, I will turn the head and then add a little pressure to get the tap. In a comp/fight, I'd use the slicing motion.

The "crossface" from inside guard is just sloppy, the other thing is a forearm choke, and the failed naked choke is just a face crank. Those are dick n00b moves you get from over intense guys that just don't want to get tapped in their first few months. These same bonehead will try to paintbrush you from inside yoru guard, or are always tryign to muscle wrist locks while standing up in your guard.

last night was my first pankration class and the first thing they were teaching us involved the use of a cross face (as well as other aspects) to get somone who is on top of you out of side mount and in to your gaurd.

I didnt see any problem with it (as both person in gaurd and person on sidemount) however I guess it would be different if people were going full force instead of just practicing technique and finess

Back