Critique my Squat form please

ciscokid1024

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I posted this in my log, but I wanted to get some more views. I feel like my squat form is decent, but watching it I also feel like I am doing something wrong. I normally squat in Chucks with my orthotics in, but I was at home and I left my Chucks at work so I did it barefoot. Please excuse the small flash of ass-crack on the last rep. I thought of trying to pull up my shorts, but decided that might lead to a whole different type of idiot in the gym moment so there is a little flash.

Also, this was the 4th set at 255lbs and I didn't feel like doing another set so I just used the video as is.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LK2M9M7eT4Q&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LK2M9M7eT4Q&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

There are also videos of bench press and deadlift in my log. Please feel free to critique those too if you want.

Thanks!

I'm assuming that your doing PL squats, even though you have a somewhat high bar position and go deep.

- Your upper back doesn't look very tight. Maybe try to tuck your elbows more.
- You sit back well, but tilt forward too much when doing so.
- You have pretty massive butt tucking going on; I would reduce squat depth to around parallel (back is already rounded at parallel) and work on glute and hamstring flexibility.
- Stay more upright in the ascent.

If you are trying oly squats:

- Sit between your legs, not back, even though you may initiate the movement with your hips.
- Stay far more upright
- You have pretty massive butt tucking going on; I would reduce squat depth to around parallel (back is already rounded at parallel) and work on glute and hamstring flexibility. Work overhead squats.
- Get your hip under the bar much earlier in the ascent.

- You have pretty massive butt tucking going on; I would reduce squat depth to around parallel (back is already rounded at parallel) and work on glute and hamstring flexibility.

Probably the biggest issue.

I'm assuming that your doing PL squats, even though you have a somewhat high bar position and go deep.

- You sit back well, but tilt forward too much when doing so.
- Stay more upright in the ascent.

If you are trying oly squats:

- Sit between your legs, not back, even though you may initiate the movement with your hips.
- Stay far more upright
- You have pretty massive butt tucking going on; I would reduce squat depth to around parallel (back is already rounded at parallel) and work on glute and hamstring flexibility. Work overhead squats.
- Get your hip under the bar much earlier in the ascent.

I never thought of it as doing PL vs. Oly, so I am not really trying to go for either. I guess I am trying to find the most comfortable way to hold the bar and trying to go as deep as possible and not hurt my knees which click and hurt just in general.

-tuck elbows - do you mean to keep them up and back or drop them down? I was trying to keep them up and back. Or should I just keep them closer to my body?
-sitting back - I have been trying to sit back and stay upright. I am going to have to really work on this.
-Butt tuck - I don't really understand this. Could you explain it a little more?
-Ascent - I really have to work on this too. I see what you are saying, but even as I try it here in my cubicle I can't seem to do it better.

I see that you're not moving fluidly, which is a major problem among newer lifters here. Basically what I"m seeing on reps 1, 3, 4 and 5 you're sort of slowing down when you get halfway up the lift.

A good indicator of proper technique is that the lift should "feel effortless". That's not to say it shouldn't feel heavy or that a PR will feel light, but you shouldn't be running into any snags like that during your lifts. Basically it should look like one fluid movement from start to finish.

It would appear you are having problems with your technique because of the lower back rounding/butt tucking mention by previous posters. Doing some dynamic stretching (leg swings front to back, side to side) before your squats should help with that. Also about an hour or so following your workout you could do some static stretching (look up the squat stretch).

Also if you do a search you should be able to find this video of this guy (forget who it is) doing a seminar, and he gives some very helpful pointers on squat form. Hopefully someone else will read this and find it for me lol.

By the "butt tuck", he means that at the very bottom of the squat, you are losing your lumbar curve in your lower back. This poses a danger to your spine.

Look up "squat rx" on youtube, there are several videos that will help you fix this.

You squat more than me, so take this for what it's worth. You seem to have some serious lower back rounding going on. That puts a lot of strain on your lower back, and you can get injured. I did - badly.

Here is a video that I found helpful in correcting that problem: YouTube - Squat Rx #1

What's happening to your lower back is what was happening to me as well. If you haven't had back problems yet believe me you will. As of NOW I would recommend you stop going so low. Go only as low as you can without letting your hips rotate under you. You can get this level to be lower by doing a few things:

- Improve hip, glute, and hamstring flexibility. I static stretch my hips before I squat now. Joe Defranco recommends this even though static stretching is usually a no-no before strength training. I dynamically stretch my glutes and hamstrings before I squat.
- Keep your lower trunk TIGHT. I take a belly full of air right before I descend and "lock" my lower back into an arched position. I'm still practicing this but in theory this will make the hamstrings and glutes stretch instead of pull your hips and lower back under you

Take the above advice with a grain of salt since I'm a noob but I'd like to think I've fucked up enough to be able to say I know what NOT to do.

This might be stupid and obvious, but I have trouble doing BW squats. I lose my balance and it feels funny. When I get weight on my back I feel much more comfortable and more weight is better than less.

I am going to look for the squat rx and looking for good examples of what to do.
This looks like a good article too: TESTOSTERONE NATION

You can grab a doorframe or a powerrack to practise your deep squat position without weight.

Also, from a safety standpoint, do not walk the bar out that way. When you go to rerack it there is a possibility that you can miss the rack and drop the bar.

This might be stupid and obvious, but I have trouble doing BW squats. I lose my balance and it feels funny. When I get weight on my back I feel much more comfortable and more weight is better than less.

I am going to look for the squat rx and looking for good examples of what to do.
This looks like a good article too: TESTOSTERONE NATION

Improving your form on BW squats will help your form with a loaded bar perhaps more than anything else. You may have to lower the weight you're putting up for a while until you have the form right.

I used to find BW squats awkward and unstable, but when you get used to the bottom squat position without weights it makes it easier to get to the position with a bar.

Overhead squats with just the bar might help too.

TS: Read this article

TESTOSTERONE NATION - Olympic vs. Powerlifting Squats

Decide what squat you are trying to learn. Then try to watch as many videos as you can on that particular form of squat. They are quite different and you will perform best if you know exactly what kind of movement you are trying to perform.

Thanks a lot everyone! You have given me a lot of homework. :D

I did lighter weight today as well as zercher, front, and OH just to see how they felt and my training partner watched my back. I can tell that on back squats when I go low my back rounds. I am going to really work on my form and not worry about the weight for a while.

Thanks again!

Back