critique my routine please

sneaker pimp

White Belt
Reaction score
I just finished 10 weeks of bill starr's 5x5, made good gains but began to stall. I took 2 weeks off and now I'm thinking of doing something like this. Feedback appreciated.

Week 1

monday: deadlift-6x10 / bench press-6x10

tuesday: off

wednesday: squat-6x10 / sohp-10x10 / pullups-6x10

thursday: off

friday: deadlift-10x10 / bench press-10x10

sat. & sun.: off

Week 2

monday: sohp-6x10 / squat-10x10 / pullups-6x10

tuesday: off

wednesday: deadlift-6x10 / bench press-6x10

thurs: off

friday: squat-6x10 / sohp-10x10 / pullups-6x10

then on week 3 it rotates back to week 1

Also I'm gonna throw in some ab & calf work. I made some ab wheels (like on ross boxing), I'll prolly do those every training day. As far as calf work, how often should i work them without overtraining? Thanks.

So Friday week 1 you'll do a hundred reps of deadlift followed by a hundred reps of bench?

Sounds like a lot of volume to me.

So you're doing everything with sets of 10 reps? Why?

I was kinda worried about that too. I figured if i keep the weight low(about 50% of my 1rm) and eat good, I'll be alright.

It's basically a GVT routine. I just threw in the 6x10's to add some variety, plus i thought it might add to the strength benefit (obviously i would use heavier weight on the 6x10's)

ahab I hear what your saying, and I already have. I guess there's only one way to know if it works for me, right?

Good luck. :icon_neut

Don't die.

Tell us how it goes.

Thanks for the link ahab, but why would you choose to do a GVT routine unless you're looking mainly to gain mass? If your #1 priority is gaining strength why are you doing this routine?

The German Volume Training program works because it targets a group of motor units, exposing them to an extensive volume of repeated efforts, specifically, 10 sets of a single exercise. The body adapts to the extraordinary stress by hypertrophying the targeted fibers. To say this program adds muscle fast is probably an understatement. Gains of ten pounds or more in six weeks are not uncommon, even in experienced lifters!

green, I am looking to gain some mass, but mainly im chosing to do this because I plateaued on the 5x5.

green, I am looking to gain some mass..

here is your mass sir,

mass-2006-logo.jpg

He wants to increase his cross sectional area for greater strength.

Its a valid way to increase strength....

Maybe it's a valid way but I still don't understand how it would be the most efficient way and why he would not focus on a different routine such as a basic push/pull/squat with lower reps and more sets... hence the reason why I was asking.

I may do some GVT between my Ross program and if/when I start the Westside program. It sounds fucking grueling though.

Back