Critique My Friends Vid

I think bottom guy did good, only thing I would critique is that he probobly should have taken the back completely and tried to maintain before going for a submission.

the top guy sucked, he tries to headlock inside his opponents closed guard, then he looks like he tries a horrible variation of wilson reis no posture pass. I was waiting for the triangle by the bottom guy.

i think the reason people give you shit is because having people "challange" matches in the park with all their friends watching just gives a bad rep to the sport... and also its like two beginners are chosen to "represent" their gyms, and one gym gets embarassed because their student got his ass kicked.

It took me about 10 seconds to see that the guy in white was going to win. He seemed to know roughly what he was doing but just wasnt very good at it. But hey, you can clearly tell that he trains...
Which is more than you can say for the guy in red. He just looked out of place, I doubt hes even trained for one month regularly.

Nothing like a bunch of hyper critical, insecure BJJ nerds taking bites out of a newb.

I agree with the more neutral posters, obviously a beginner against a kid who has never done anything. I am sure all the surecritical guys here were awesome after 4-6 months training, but the kid looks fine for his eperience level and perceived athletic ability. Maybe the kid an red will actually train now?

You guys screaming they sucked should view the vid for what it was, a couple of kids fooling around, not douches proclaiming grappling greatness.

When can people stop saying "stupid kids who think they're the shit" whenever they see a video of two teenagers rolling outside of class?

I'm 17 and I talk to my friends about my experiences in the gym, does that make me egotistical lil shit?

The TS wants to learn, what other reason would he put the video up on a forum with a buncha higher belts knowing they're not good?

There's a difference between sharing your experiences in the gym and having "challenge matches" in the park to show off for everyone.

If you just wanted to have a friendly roll outside of class, why not do it at one of their houses instead of the middle of a public place like a park?

Darkslide632 said:
See how easy that was? In the dojo is not the only place you can have fun rolling, and the way people talk, it's as if you didn't all suck at one time in your life or another... Like you walked into the dojo and just started clearing house. Weird, isn't that the same thing you were accusing these guys of doing? Everyone sucks when they start, in fact I'd bet money that a good deal of those of you talking shit, still suck.

The difference is that when we started out, we didn't put on exhibition matches in public because we knew and acknowledged that we didn't know shit at the time.

There was an armbar there about 4 seconds into the match that white shirted guy didn't take.

If I was a senior in high school and did BJJ I would have probably grappled a few of my friends on nice, sunny days. I just wouldn't have put the video on the Internet.

The difference is that when we started out, we didn't put on exhibition matches in public because we knew and acknowledged that we didn't know shit at the time.

Morgan City, LA huh? My ex girlfriend's family lives in Morgan City. The Tullier's. I visited there a few times while living in LA.

Anyway, I don't know what YOU did, but I was constantly grappling with my friends and anyone else who wanted to fuck around with us. Didn't really matter where we were, we certainly used to do it in public when we were out and about and I see nothing wrong with it. I definitely have some shitty-ass videos of us grappling 12 years ago and it's pretty horrible.

Morgan City, LA huh? My ex girlfriend's family lives in Morgan City. The Tullier's. I visited there a few times while living in LA.

Not familiar with them, but then again I only moved here a few years ago.

Anyway, I don't know what YOU did, but I was constantly grappling with my friends and anyone else who wanted to fuck around with us. Didn't really matter where we were, we certainly used to do it in public when we were out and about and I see nothing wrong with it. I definitely have some shitty-ass videos of us grappling 12 years ago and it's pretty horrible.

Maybe some of us were quick to bash it, but the idea of video taping yourself in a challenge match in the park then posting it on the Internet screams "I just watched 'Never Back Down' and I'm going to show the world how bad ass I am".

It sounds like we were right about the one kid, wrong about the other.

Oh, and I definitely rolled with my friends back in the day just for the hell of it, but it was inside my house on cheap ass mats from Wal-Mart. Thankfully, I didn't video tape it, because it was undeniably shitty. :icon_twis

Maybe some of us were quick to bash it, but the idea of video taping yourself in a challenge match in the park then posting it on the Internet screams "I just watched 'Never Back Down' and I'm going to show the world how bad ass I am".

It sounds like we were right about the one kid, wrong about the other.

Oh, and I definitely rolled with my friends back in the day just for the hell of it, but it was inside my house on cheap ass mats from Wal-Mart. Thankfully, I didn't video tape it, because it was undeniably shitty. :icon_twis

OK, well when I read the original post, it says that it was some guys he knows, not himself... though even if it was himself, I don't see a problem. In fact, I have a lot more respect for people who video tape themselves and post it, than those who sit behind the computer and criticize others without being willing to put their own abilities on the line. This is especially true on the judo forums I visit.

OK, well when I read the original post, it says that it was some guys he knows, not himself... though even if it was himself, I don't see a problem. In fact, I have a lot more respect for people who video tape themselves and post it, than those who sit behind the computer and criticize others without being willing to put their own abilities on the line. This is especially true on the judo forums I visit.

Just to clarify, I wasn't saying that the TS posted it here for that reason. I'm talking about the idea of the guys in the video originally putting it up on YouTube in the first place.

Also, I'm not saying that you were directing it towards me, but I've put up competition footage of me getting my ass handed to me on this forum over the past few years and would have no problem doing it in the future. I'm guessing you meant it in general though.

I will just clarify on a few things so there are fewer misunderstandings.

- It wasn't a "challenge match", just a casual roll between peers.

- Neither participant posted the video on youtube, or was even aware that it would eventually be uploaded. It was filmed and posted by an individual who is spiteful towards the kid in the red shirt. There was a previous unrelated incident in which the guy in the red shirt sucker punched the guy behind the camera in the kidneys and sent him to the hospital (douche move). In a sense, uploading it on youtube was his way of exacting revenge, as it is also featured on his facebook and myspace.

- I just posted in here so I could get some different perspective and constructive criticism for the kid in the white shirt.

- They were not necessarily representing the respective schools they train at, I just figured there would be a more positive response to the video if I provided information that they had some formal instruction. (but teh internets is a harsh place so I guess not)

2 guys grappling, 2 guys that need more training. Isn't that almost always the case with self posted videos? Just keep training, the kid in white seems to be on the right track

I will just clarify on a few things so there are fewer misunderstandings.

- It wasn't a "challenge match", just a casual roll between peers.

- Neither participant posted the video on youtube, or was even aware that it would eventually be uploaded. It was filmed and posted by an individual who is spiteful towards the kid in the red shirt. There was a previous unrelated incident in which the guy in the red shirt sucker punched the guy behind the camera in the kidneys and sent him to the hospital (douche move). In a sense, uploading it on youtube was his way of exacting revenge, as it is also featured on his facebook and myspace.

- I just posted in here so I could get some different perspective and constructive criticism for the kid in the white shirt.

- They were not necessarily representing the respective schools they train at, I just figured there would be a more positive response to the video if I provided information that they had some formal instruction. (but teh internets is a harsh place so I guess not)

Ok, the red shirt guy is a douche.

In the beginning after pulling guard, the guy in the white shirt had a chance to armdrag (or just arm-push I guess) the red guy's elbow across the white guy's chest. If he does this and hugs tightly so red can't get out then it opens up a lot of sweeps and submissions. He started to do that in the middle after ducking red's headlock (from guard - wtf?), but didn't seen to know what to do with it.

Good job with the armbar, but next time white should try rolling red onto his back. At very least, he should keep his hips closer to the armpit to get a faster tap. All in all, looks like white has much more experience than red, but neither has much experience overall. Just ask the instructor about finishing the armbar on, and turning, over a turtled opponent. Also ask about arm drags from guard to taking the back or the flower sweep (as opposed to the pendulum sweep which he tried a few times).

At least good won over evil, I guess... LOL

They both look like the kind of kids that show up at their bjj schools sit there, look at everyone out of the corner of their eye, but don't talk to anyone. Do the lesson and then go to school the next day bragging they train with carlos or tussa. And talk about how they took everyones back and choke them out at practice. When in reality they probably get worked by everyone and will soon quit in the next 3 months. Since their grappling at a park in street clothes shows how much respect they have for the sport.

ps. should have invited someone from jacksons to clean house. 2 on 1 or something haha

I agree with you except the grappling at a park with street clothes on...? Wtf, they're just having fun whatever. If they were there with grappling shorts on and a rashguard, you'd just call them poser tools.

I agree with you except the grappling at a park with street clothes on...? Wtf, they're just having fun whatever. If they were there with grappling shorts on and a rashguard, you'd just call them poser tools.

I was just explaining the situation, it wouldn't matter what there wearing. And after watching the video again I think they are actually wearing there grappling clothes.(basketball shorts and t shirts) If they just want to have some fun they should at least do it at home and not film it to save themselves from embarrassment.

ps. Rolling on grass would suck, hard surface, not being able to spin on your back due to grass slowing you down. Not to mention the grass stains haha.

Im not sure which hurts more my torn intercostal muscle or watching that vid

Back